PDA

View Full Version : In The Face of Danger

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
I risked life and limb to get this shot. No joke...my camera was about 3 inches or less from it, hence the name of the photo. :D

As with my water splash shot, I took approx 30 or more pictures before this one finally turned out worth keeping. I am absolutely having a blast with the SD500. The variety of photos it can take hasn't ceased to amaze me. Please feel free to make comments and critique this shot.

Wes

Photo moved to a different thread. 4-21

Bald Eagle
04-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Fantastic Macro. Great colors as well. My only critique is, you only posted one pic. ;)

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Since everyone liked seeing the "before editing" shot of my water splash, I'll post the one for this as well. I did several things to it actually. I increased contrast and saturation a bit as well as sharpening it. There is also is very very slight orange layer with opacity turned way down. It seemed to help bring out the colors more.

I am quite pleased with the results. Thanks for the comments Bald Eagle.

Wes

kornhauser
04-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Excellent job! What program are you using for editing? Fantastic colors!

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Excellent job! What program are you using for editing? Fantastic colors!

Photoshop CS all the way baby...

Wes

EAP
04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Yikes! Let me outta here! :eek: Once again, very cool shot, and also I love seeing both photos, before and after editing. Very instructive!

foaf
04-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Amazing shot, really impressive. I prefer seeing the un-edited version just because i wasn't certain the first one was real

SamuraiJack
04-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone. I don't mind posting the before and after shots at all. Photoshop is great. You are only limited by your imagination and what you know about the software.

As for it looking real, after looking at it a second time, I am probably going to tone the colors down just a bit. I agree with foaf, I think I over-edited it a little bit. It was too late last night and I was tired. I'll post a new version when I get it finished.

Thanks again for the comments and critiques.

Wes

BlueGrassGirl
04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Edited or not, it is still very impressive! Great photo!

micklemuk
04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
i prefer the original shot-very very good

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I risked life and limb to get this shot. No joke...my camera was about 3 inches or less from it, hence the name of the photo. :D

As with my water splash shot, I took approx 30 or more pictures before this one finally turned out worth keeping. I am absolutely having a blast with the SD500. The variety of photos it can take hasn't ceased to amaze me. Please feel free to make comments and critique this shot.

Wes

You got my attention. When I was about 9 I ticked off a few "jackets" by pouring water in their ground hive. One of them thanked me 5 times right behind my left ear. Never messed with yellow jackets again. Time to change underwear... ;)

Great (and risky) shot. You'll make a good war correspondent someday.

SamuraiJack
04-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Great (and risky) shot. You'll make a good war correspondent someday.

Heh...not sure about that one. You have no idea how much the Army and other branches of the military are trying to get me to join up. Because of my EMT and Paramedic training, they are really pushing me to join and become a medic. I'm headed to nursing school soon though...so they are out of luck. I'm quite sure the bee pictures are about the most dangerous it's going to get. :)

I've been stung a few times myself and it's not too much fun. Thankfully I'm not allergic to bee stings.

Again, thank you for the comments everyone. I also enjoy hearing if you like the original or not. It helps in knowing how much to "process" the picture in photoshop. In this case I agree that I over processed it a little bit. I'll correct it when I get some free time.

Wes

EAP
04-07-2005, 05:46 PM
You have no idea how much the Army and other branches of the military are trying to get me to join up. Because of my EMT and Paramedic training, they are really pushing me to join and become a medic. I'm headed to nursing school soon though...so they are out of luck.

No, don't join up! Become a nurse! We need more nurses! Better yet, come to So Cal and be a nurse (I work at a hospital...not as a nurse). :)

SamuraiJack
04-07-2005, 05:52 PM
No, don't join up! Become a nurse! We need more nurses! Better yet, come to So Cal and be a nurse (I work at a hospital...not as a nurse). :)

I'm headed to nursing school for sure. I enjoy all the time I spend in the ER doing paramedic clinicals. It's always a rush not knowing whats going to happen next or who EMS is going to bring in, and knowing that you have to be ready for anything. I would greatly enjoy doing emergency department work as a nurse. Being trained as a paramedic would only make it easier.

Anyway...how did this conversation get started? I thought this was a photography forum. :p

Wes

John_Reed
04-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I like your shots! Nice job for an un-aided camera to get such a remarkable macro. I just wanted to show a way of stepping back a little from the bee, as I did by using the Nikon 6T +3 diopter lens on the front of my FZ1 at full zoom. In this way I was able to shoot the photo from around 10" away from the subject, a little safer?
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/4223420-L.jpg

SamuraiJack
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Very nice macro. Bees are certainly fun to photo. Maybe the added risk of being stung makes the photo turn out a little more special. Feel free to post more bees/wasps/hornets if you have them. :)

Wes

Rhys
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
This was taken with my Nikon 995 with an exposure of 1/112 at f9.9, 16mm focal length, aperture priority. No flash on 4/24/2004 - 6:33pm BST.

Rhys
04-08-2005, 11:04 AM
And in the face of more danger...

Nikon 995, 17mm focal length. F10.2, 1/263. ISO 400, Aperture priority. 7/12/2003. 2:09pm. BST

Rhys
04-08-2005, 11:23 AM
f7.1, Nikon 995, 1/195, ISO 100, 16mm focal length. Aperture priority.

EAP
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I sense a "bug thread" in the making....

D70FAN
04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
f7.1, Nikon 995, 1/195, ISO 100, 16mm focal length. Aperture priority.

Nice shots Rhys. Nice to see that you dust off the 995 once in a while. The 900 series are still some of the best all around cameras ever built (could be a little faster though). I still use the 990 for macros as well.

SamuraiJack
04-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Very cool macros. A bug thread is fine with me. Everyone feel free to contribute if you have bug macro shots.

Wes

Bald Eagle
04-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Here is my contribution to the Macro Bug Thread. hope you like comments are always welcome. thanks.

Rhys
04-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Nice shots Rhys. Nice to see that you dust off the 995 once in a while. The 900 series are still some of the best all around cameras ever built (could be a little faster though). I still use the 990 for macros as well.

Actually, I haven't used it much for a while now. I keep it for macros and flowers etc. I worked out that 3 megapixels is fine for what I do - unless I start in wedding photography inwhich case, I'm pretty sure I'll go for an E-300. I reckoned I have the best of all worlds with:

Nikon 995 - macro photos
Nikon 3100 - casual snaps
Canon S1 IS - more carefully composed and longer range photos (basically it's my Nikon FM + 28/35/50/85/135/210/300 lenses all rolled into one handy camera).

Rhys
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
This was taken at 1/25th at f2.8 with an Olympus C200 Zoom

Rhys
04-09-2005, 12:09 PM
This was taken at 1/125 at f4.4 with my old olympus C200 Zoom

Digideb
04-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Great close up, Jack! Once again, the 'purist' in me prefers the original. Very Impressive!
I'm starting to think alot of you guys posting in this Gallery are Pros. This looks like a pic I would expect to see in Nat. Geographic mag. :)

SamuraiJack
04-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Great close up, Jack! Once again, the 'purist' in me prefers the original. Very Impressive!
I'm starting to think alot of you guys posting in this Gallery are Pros. This looks like a pic I would expect to see in Nat. Geographic mag. :)

Thanks for the comments. I'm loving all the pictures everyone is posting. Please post more. :)

As for being a professional, this is the first camera I have ever owned and I've only had it for about a week and a half, so I'm far from professional. I was already very familiar with Photoshop CS and other editing tools. I do a lot of artwork such as drawing and cartooning. It has helped me out quite a bit because some of the same principles apply to photos.

I know it's not a photo, but I figured you guys might like to see an example of the kind of art I do. I promise to only post photos after this. If posting the drawing is inappropriate, please let me know and I'll be very happy to delete it from the thread.

Here is the sketch that I scanned into the computer.

Wes

SamuraiJack
04-09-2005, 02:57 PM
And here is the final version completed in Photoshop CS

Again...if this is inappropriate, please feel free to let me know and I'll take them down.

Wes

D70FAN
04-09-2005, 07:01 PM
And here is the final version completed in Photoshop CS

Again...if this is inappropriate, please feel free to let me know and I'll take them down.

Wes

Nah. As long as you mentioned Photoshop you are 80% on topic. Thanks for the illustration.

SamuraiJack
04-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Nah. As long as you mentioned Photoshop you are 80% on topic. Thanks for the illustration.

Alrighty...just making sure. I figured people would be interested in seeing what else I use Photoshop for.

I'm hoping to post some new photos soon. I worked in the ER the past two nights and slept all day, so I haven't had much time to take many new shots. I'll see what I can come up with though. Keep the bugs coming everyone. Great pictures so far.

Wes