PDA

View Full Version : SD500 High Speed Macro

SamuraiJack
04-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Here is a rather interesting picture I took last night. It is cropped and edited in photoshop to improve color/contrast. I must say I'm rather impressed with this camera the more I use it. Enjoy the picture and please let me know what you think. Feel free to post more pictures of the same type.

Wes

John_Reed
04-06-2005, 12:48 AM
How did you set up the shot, and were you using internal flash or not? Shutterspeed, aperture, all other secrets revealed? Nice job!

kornhauser
04-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Please give us the details of setting up that shot! Wonderful picture and I'd love to try and do the same!

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Ok...heres a little more info on this shot. You can view the full EXIF here by clicking on the thumbnail and then clicking "Full EXIF" at the bottom of the image. http://imageevent.com/cartoonnerd/macrophotos

To set up the shot, I used a tiny little 6" tripod on the counter beside the sink. The camera was in manual mode with the macro setting on. The only flash I used was the one in the camera. I also had the overhead lights on. I turned the water on as a slow stream, just above a drip, so it would splash a bit more. I probably took 50 shots before this one finally turned out. I only got about 3 or 4 even worth keeping.

As I said before, I did highly edit this in Photoshop CS. I'll post the original before PS so you guys can see exactly what I did. If you have any suggestions on taking better macro shots, or using the SD500 better, please let me know.

Thanks for the comments.
Wes

Digideb
04-06-2005, 11:05 AM
I like this Macro shot! A great example of how we don't even have to leave the house to get great pix! :)
I'm glad you posted the original pic because I wasn't sure whether to be impressed with your camera or Photoshop.(I'm a bit of a "purist" about photo editing.) Either way, the person behind the camera came up with a great shot.
I found it interesting to hear that you took so many shots to get just a few. I've been having that same experience with Macro shots & been thinking it was "just me". To capture good close ups of some wild orchids, I spent over an hour, taking about 70 shots & came up with about 10 decent ones, maybe only a few "great" ones. It's been a good learning experience that I couldn't have done without "going digital". ;)

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I like this Macro shot! A great example of how we don't even have to leave the house to get great pix! :)
I'm glad you posted the original pic because I wasn't sure whether to be impressed with your camera or Photoshop.(I'm a bit of a "purist" about photo editing.) Either way, the person behind the camera came up with a great shot.
I found it interesting to hear that you took so many shots to get just a few. I've been having that same experience with Macro shots & been thinking it was "just me". To capture good close ups of some wild orchids, I spent over an hour, taking about 70 shots & came up with about 10 decent ones, maybe only a few "great" ones. It's been a good learning experience that I couldn't have done without "going digital". ;)

Deb, 10 out of 70 is a great yield, my average is about 10%. Just to get this one real-time lightning shot last year took about 100 frames and about an hour.

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Here is a rather interesting picture I took last night. It is cropped and edited in photoshop to improve color/contrast. I must say I'm rather impressed with this camera the more I use it. Enjoy the picture and please let me know what you think. Feel free to post more pictures of the same type.

Wes

Jack, thanks for that shot. Bet it even blew you away. The last time I set up in the bathroom, my wife had some serious questions about my sanity, and I never did get the shot I wanted.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing this shot.

EAP
04-06-2005, 12:38 PM
I'll second Digideb's comments. It's very inspiring to see how creative everyone is in creating oustanding photos from the most mundane everyday subjects. It was also very interesting for me to see what was done in editing the photo. I don't know much about editing software, so it's quite educational to see what can be done. I love the final shot. It's worthy of a magazine ad!

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments everyone. As George said, it did blow me away that my tiny little P+S camera could capture that kind of picture. As for the family having questions about MY sanity, I found an easy work around. I waited until they all went to bed before setting my stuff up in the bathroom. They didn't even know about it until the next day. :)

I like the lightning picture. I would love to capture a shot like that. We'll have to see if my camera is capable of it. I can easily see how you could go an hour and only get one decent photo out of the whole shoot.

Again, thank you for the kind comments. I hope to be able to post many more pictures in the future.

Wes

PS. I'm having it made into an 8X10 as I type this. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

BlueGrassGirl
04-06-2005, 02:09 PM
That's an amazing shot! I thought it was just me too after I would sit around and take tons of photos and only a few were worth keeping.

Nice work! :)

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Just a quick update...I highly recommend Walmart.com for photos processing. Upload your pictures and specify which sizes you want, then go pick them up one hour later. I had an 8x10 of the water splash photo made and it looks absolutely amazing. I still cant believe my camera took that photo. Heh...anyway...

I guess the point of this post is to let you guys know that Walmart does a pretty good job with photos for really good prices...19 cents for a 4x6 and about $2.50 for an 8x10 (cant remember the exact price for an 8x10).

Wes

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments everyone. As George said, it did blow me away that my tiny little P+S camera could capture that kind of picture. As for the family having questions about MY sanity, I found an easy work around. I waited until they all went to bed before setting my stuff up in the bathroom. They didn't even know about it until the next day. :)

I like the lightning picture. I would love to capture a shot like that. We'll have to see if my camera is capable of it. I can easily see how you could go an hour and only get one decent photo out of the whole shoot.

Again, thank you for the kind comments. I hope to be able to post many more pictures in the future.

Wes

PS. I'm having it made into an 8X10 as I type this. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I tried for years with film (an expensive lesson) and all-in-one digitals. I'm not saying it can't be done, but unless you are extremely lucky, it might be frustrating. I was shooting in bursts of 12-15 frames at 3 frames per second. It took about 25 minutes just to get the basic lightning strike paterns, and aim in the right direction at the right time (damn! lighting is fast). This was an evening when we were seeing lightning strikes at the rate of 2-10 per second but they never seemed to happen where I was aiming. :(

Anyway, with your skills and patience already demonstrated, I wouldn't doubt you will get your shot. Just make sure it's not up close and personal. ;)

SamuraiJack
04-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Anyway, with your skills and patience already demonstrated, I wouldn't doubt you will get your shot. Just make sure it's not up close and personal. ;)

I don't care a bit to see it up close and personal. I ride around in the back of an ambulance enough to know I don't want to go to the hospital in one. :)

Wes

hakandcresource
07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I tried "sink" photography about a week ago with my SD500 and had great results. I think good to keep photos were about %20 of the shots.

I had a little bit of ambient light in the kitchen but I don't think it had any effect on the pictures. What i did was using force flash with the drive mode (of course manual and macro), it's much more effective than trying to time the shots manually. In addition you don't need to struggle with the auto focus, especially if you are trying the catch the droplets in the air. For mid-air action, you can focus on a closer surface and pull the camera back to the appropriate distance while holding the button half-way down (ok, everybody already knows that :).

Since I have a metal sink, I got nice shining droplets with multiple lighting effects because of the bouncing of the flash light around. Which really hepls in macro mode as the flash messes up the shot in regular close-up. (it does get into the lens if you can't get the correct angle though).

I also tried lightning stuff couple of years ago with an olympus c-211, which has a larger opening and takes great shots in dark compared to sd500. I took about 600 shots and ended up with only 3 crappy lightning photos, 2 of which i accidentally deleted :( I didn't have the chance to have a similar weather around but i'm guessing long exposure is the way to go rather than trying to catch a lightning bolt (with multiple shots, not your hands :).

T06
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Haven't touched it with PS, straight off the press.

Nikon D200
2006/07/25 21:53:38.7
RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
Color
Lens: VR 24-120mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 120mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/125 sec - F/6.3
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 1250