PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Andy Baird?

Robert
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Haven't seen a post from Andy since the DCRP's format changed. In my opinion he provided most of what's worth reading in these forums.

D70FAN
04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Haven't seen a post from Andy since the DCRP's format changed. In my opinion he provided most of what's worth reading in these forums.

Last I heard from Andy he was getting ready to retire and hit the road with Gertie. According to mutual freinds that is still the plan, and actually I think he's either getting ready or is actually on the road.

Update:

If you are not familiar with Andy, he was a frequent contributor and if I'm not mistaken, one of the original DCRP group.

His very entertaining writings can be found at:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/

And if you check in once in a while you will get an update of what's going on Andy/Gertie-wise. alsways an interesting read.

Rhys
04-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Last I heard from Andy he was getting ready to retire and hit the road with Gertie. According to mutual freinds that is still the plan, and actually I think he's either getting ready or is actually on the road.

Or he's been abducted by aliens :P

John_Reed
04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Personally, after reading the original poster's comments about the venerable Andy, I'm gonna just sit back and watch these forums. Here I thought there were a lot of valuable and worthwhile contributors these days - what do I know?

judge9847
04-06-2005, 08:57 AM
John, move over on the virtual couch. Looks like you'll have to make room for a few more of us ;)

Rhys
04-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Personally, after reading the original poster's comments about the venerable Andy, I'm gonna just sit back and watch these forums. Here I thought there were a lot of valuable and worthwhile contributors these days - what do I know?

Oh. I'm in South Carolina with my wedding coming up on April 23rd.

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 11:50 AM

John, Actually Andy is a very interesting and knowlegable guy. Like several people he decided (justifiably so) that his experience and knowlege were of little consequence to the DCRP knowlege base and he signed off (much like Sarah and Eagle recently). I learned a lot from him and miss the banter, but people like you, and several other "veterans" keep it lively.

That, and I think he got tired of answering the same questions over and over, as people don't seem to want to put forth the effort to search the threads for existing information, or even read Jeffs very fine reviews and guides.

The chances that Andy will return to these boards is slim and none, so the rest of us will carry on until we hit the same burn-out point.

So... time to jump back into the frey. ;)

John_Reed
04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I knew Andy well, at least as far as the DCRP is concerned. I always respected his opinions, and he was never at a loss to come up with one! He spent a lot of time on this forum, and it almost seems like it was the "smileys" that drove him away when the new format came into being. I miss having him around too.

But I also respect your opinion, sir, and those of many other contributors to this forum. That this forum succeeds as a "resource" stems from the broad diversity of viewpoints of the various forum participants, in my opinion. So for the original poster to say that Andy was the only one worth listening to, in effect, was to put down many other valuable contributions from a lot of other people whose opinions are also worth hearing, who enrich this forum with their presence.

ReF
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Oh. I'm in South Carolina with my wedding coming up on April 23rd.

oh wow, so you're in the state now eh? no wonder we haven't heard from you in a while. congrats on the wedding!

ReF
04-06-2005, 04:48 PM
I think he got tired of answering the same questions over and over, as people don't seem to want to put forth the effort to search the threads for existing information, or even read Jeffs very fine reviews and guides.

The chances that Andy will return to these boards is slim and none, so the rest of us will carry on until we hit the same burn-out point.

which is why i hardly ever post in the "which camera should i get?" threads anymore.
i hope the rest of you don't get yourselves "burned-out" because i'd hate to see any other valuable contributors call it quits. :(

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I knew Andy well, at least as far as the DCRP is concerned. I always respected his opinions, and he was never at a loss to come up with one! He spent a lot of time on this forum, and it almost seems like it was the "smileys" that drove him away when the new format came into being. I miss having him around too.

But I also respect your opinion, sir, and those of many other contributors to this forum. That this forum succeeds as a "resource" stems from the broad diversity of viewpoints of the various forum participants, in my opinion. So for the original poster to say that Andy was the only one worth listening to, in effect, was to put down many other valuable contributions from a lot of other people whose opinions are also worth hearing, who enrich this forum with their presence.

Well that was and probably still is Andy. But the feeling I got was that he moved into the background because he was tired of repeating himself.

I'm not sure that Robert meant it that way, and I'm not knocking him, but with 56 posts since the new format began, I don't put much weight on his commentary. ;)

I have learned quite a bit on this site in almost 5 years, and try to give back as much as possible. Jeff has kept me from some of the pitfalls, of the DC world as have many others, and I try to do the same.

Sometimes people don't get it, fortunately eventually most do. I did. :confused: