PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please on Garden Photos

ArchiMark
04-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Hope someone can please advice on photos I'm taking with my ol' Canon PowerShot S10, 2.1MegaPixel.

I'm trying to take of my wife's flower garden....

When I show them to my wife on my computer monitor, she says they look fuzzy to her and often to much dark areas.

I've attached 2 photos as examples to look at. I had to reduce the image size a lot to be able to upload them here. Is there a better way to do this so that image can be larger??

I can email out the images at larger size if someone would like...

What do you think??

Are photos fuzzy? If so, is it me or the camera?

is the dark areas in the photos due to outdoor light conditions, the camera, or ??

If there are techniques anyone can recommend to get better photos with this camera, I'd really appreciate hearing about them...

Thanks for any input!

Mark

JTL
04-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Hope someone can please advice on photos I'm taking with my ol' Canon PowerShot S10, 2.1MegaPixel.Honestly, my advice is that it is time for an upgrade. You can get a kick-butt Canon S410 for as little as $232.00 (I'm a little Canon biased...but there are also plenty of other good cameras out there that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg...).

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Honestly, my advice is that it is time for an upgrade. You can get a kick-butt Canon S410 for as little as $232.00 (I'm a little Canon biased...but there are also plenty of other good cameras out there that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg...).

Yes, I agree. Technology has moved way beyond the 2.1 megapixel times. You can try any of the cameras at this page (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/top-10-ultracompact-digital-cameras.html).

ArchiMark
04-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks JTL and Gary for your replies!

While it's clear that both of you think I need a new camera, there's nothing else I can do about the one I have?

Thanks,

Mark

ricekiller2003
04-03-2005, 11:01 AM
I think the only way you could get sharp looking pictures would be by altering them in photo editing software, or by reducing the size of the picture. If it only has 2.1 megapixels, it simply does not have enough pixels to bring out the fine detail. You can still get pictures with realistic color, but yes they will appear soft.

Sometimes the camera is the limitation and not the photographer. 2.1 megapixels will not show the fine 'depth of field' look you're going for. It sounds like you're not in the market for a new camera, but the best thing I could recommend is editing it, or reducing the size. But if you want something affordable, the Kodak Cx7530 takes pretty sharp pics, and it's just a 'point and shoot' camera. $250

Here's from a 3.2 megapixel (Minolta DiMAGE Xt)
http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/18741728-L.jpg

Here's from a 5.0 megapixel (Kodak Cx7530)
http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/18677436-L.jpg

ArchiMark
04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your input, ricekiller2003!

Makes sense what you're saying....and you're right, not sure if I can get a new camera now....so wanted to make sure I do what I can with what I've got....

If I do get a new one.... ;) .....then I'd really like one with a wide-angle lens....really miss my 28-85mm lens on my ol' Pentax KX SLR!...(just realized it's approx. 30 years old, yipes!!)

Also, cute cats!!

Photos make it clear the difference in having more MP's....

Thanks,

Mark

ArchiMark
07-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, a little over a year has passed since I posted originally....

In re-reading this thread, I realized that I left out one important criteria that I want if I get another digital camera; wide-angle lens.

Besides taking photos of what my wife creates in our garden, I really like to take good photos of places we visit; cities and landscapes, etc. I've found that the lens on my little Canon is just not wide enough. Would like to have equivalent of a 28mm lens on a film SLR camera.

Any good reasonably priced ones out there now? A year ago I was thinking of the Canon S70 that had a wide-angle lens...so something like that one???

Thanks,

Mark

EWalterJr
07-16-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 has a wide angle lense. It also has 6MegaPixels, IS, and is very compact (I think it's the world's smallest wide angle camera). Best of all, you can get it for around 350 dollars, which isn't a bad deal.

ArchiMark
07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that advice, EWalterJr!

Will check that one out... :)

Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Mark