PDA

View Full Version : Finally some Sunlight for my XT

Bluedog
04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
First off the LCD seems to be manageable for menu settings in sunlight you just need to shade it against your body or direct it away from the the overhead sun. Viewing images is possible but thats about all.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT > 18 - 55mm Kit Lens
Aperture-Priority AE
Photo Effect Mode Off
Tv 1/320
Av 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Focal Length 55.0mm
White Balance Auto

http://img151.exs.cx/img151/6995/copyofimg01649rq.jpg

Shooting Mode Program AE
TV 1/100
Av 7.1
Metering Mode Partial

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/9229/copyofimg01836fq.jpg

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv 1/500
Av 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Compensation -2/30
ISO Speed 100
White Balance Sunlight

http://img4.exs.cx/img4/8992/copyofimg01719ud.jpg

Bluedog
04-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv 1/200
Av 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 100
White Balance Auto

http://img4.exs.cx/img4/1016/copyofimg01749pw.jpg

These images in my option are decent and pretty good quality for making prints but is going to a lens such as the Sigma 18-125 gonna be that much better quality. I'm not expecting L glass results but overall I'm not too impressed with the Kit lens.

TheObiJuan
04-01-2005, 02:07 PM
thanks for putting these images up. I felt the same way about my kit lens, so I sold it ASAP.
The colors, dof, and exposure are excellent.

D70FAN
04-01-2005, 02:11 PM
thanks for putting these images up. I felt the same way about my kit lens, so I sold it ASAP.
The colors, dof, and exposure are excellent.

Juan...This is a fellow XT owner...You are supposed to tell them what lens you are using, and maybe why, and results. Don't leave Bluedog hanging. ;)

jamison55
04-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Couple of suggestions: First off, the kit lens is pretty decent at macros (which is what it looks like you were trying to do), but you should really mount the camera on a tripod and use a smaller aperture to increase the DOF a little. In fact, many macro photographers go so far as to secure the flowers they are shooting in place so that the wind doesn't blow them around!

Second, I recommend that you buy the Canon 50 f1.8 for about $80. It is a great lens by which you can judge all others...

Bluedog
04-01-2005, 03:25 PM
In fact, many macro photographers go so far as to secure the flowers they are shooting in place so that the wind doesn't blow them around!

Second, I recommend that you buy the Canon 50 f1.8 for about $80. It is a great lens by which you can judge all others...

LOL ... even though the sun came out today for a little while after our 5" rain last night the wind has been blowing intermittently around 15 ~ 20 mph ever since... :o ... hopefully this weekend I can get the tripod out under more favorable conditions.

Here's a cropped image of flowers picked laying in flower bed and a sky shot at ISO 800 -2/3:

http://img143.exs.cx/img143/6531/img01992xv.jpg

http://img140.exs.cx/img140/4641/webimg02087hx.jpg

alright one of a newly bloomed petunia using ISO 800 +1 step Exposure with partial metering. I had to hold the pot from the wind:

http://img187.exs.cx/img187/1912/img02158zy.jpg

TheObiJuan
04-02-2005, 04:14 AM
Juan...This is a fellow XT owner...You are supposed to tell them what lens you are using, and maybe why, and results. Don't leave Bluedog hanging. ;)

only lens in my aresenal is the fitty f/1.8 ;)

I got it new at canogacamera for 59 bucks, but now I see it for 69 bucks. Still a lot cheaper than 80.

the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 will be on the way soon. :)

Bluedog
04-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Honestly if one can look past some the flaws with the 18-55mm Kit Lens on the XT its really not that bad of a lens. I think the color rendering between the two is very accurate to my eyes. Now to decide on a better focal range replacement ... ;)

BlueGrassGirl
04-02-2005, 08:52 AM
those are all very good professional looking photos. I especially like the purple and orange flowers...

jamison55
04-02-2005, 10:21 AM
only lens in my aresenal is the fitty f/1.8 ;)

I got it new at canogacamera for 59 bucks, but now I see it for 69 bucks. Still a lot cheaper than 80.

the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 will be on the way soon. :)

Juan - The Sigma is a fine lens, but before you pull the trigger, be sure to check out the Canon 80-200 f2.8L. On the used market, they are going for the same price as the Sigma, but have that "L" wow factor that the Sigma lacks. Don't believe me, do a search on PBase and look at the output of the two. I just picked up the Canon, and it's got me addicted to taking pictures again..it is oh-so-sharp (many reckon even sharper than the 70-200L that replaced it) and don't get me started with the color...

TheObiJuan
04-02-2005, 01:51 PM
yeah, I have seen and held the drainpipe.. it is nice, but hard to find. I would want a new lens from sigma with the good warranty. a used and old 80-200 isn't worth it to me. I used a friends 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM III today and liked it. I was shooting paintball and found that for the price, it is a good lens. CA is visible and the lens not too sharp. The lens does focus very quickly, which is what I needed . I am contemplating not getting the sigma and getting that lens, the 580EX, and the bge3 battery grip. Then later I can save and pick up the canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS. :D
I mean, it is just 300-400 more dollars used...

JTL
04-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks Bluedog...nice shots!

Everyone knocks the kit lens on the XT, but come on...don't you think we're nit-picking here just a little? It's begining to sound like the dpreview forums! :eek: Hey, it's obviously not the best lens, for sure...but it's not that bad either...

Now I'm gonna go hide 'cause George might read this and I'll be shamed forever... :D

Rex914
04-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Now I'm gonna go hide 'cause George might read this and I'll be shamed forever... :D

Nope, I'd actually think he'd agree with you and say something along the lines of "the photographer takes the picture, not the camera." Or in other words, a skilled photographer will take better pictures from the kit lens than an inexperience one using say... an L lens for example.

TheObiJuan
04-03-2005, 04:54 AM
I put that saying to a test today. I used the 75-300 USM lens and my 50mm to shoot some paintball tournaments today. The 50mm had much better images. I was shooting at around f/4-f/5.6. The 75@ 75mm was just soft.

The composition was very similar, the exposures were the same, the only thing that made some pictures "awesome" to some people was the lens.
CA was very visible on the players barrels and masks. It kinda ruined a lot of the pictures for me. My eyes are now trained to search and point out CA because of pixel peepers. :o

gary_hendricks
04-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Wonderful photos of flowers there ...

D70FAN
04-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks Bluedog...nice shots!

Everyone knocks the kit lens on the XT, but come on...don't you think we're nit-picking here just a little? It's begining to sound like the dpreview forums! :eek: Hey, it's obviously not the best lens, for sure...but it's not that bad either...

Naw. I had my say. Now it's time to play. No more on the XT. If you guys like it that's all that counts. ;)

D70FAN
04-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Nope, I'd actually think he'd agree with you and say something along the lines of "the photographer takes the picture, not the camera." Or in other words, a skilled photographer will take better pictures from the kit lens than an inexperience one using say... an L lens for example.

Yes. With some poetic license, and exceptions, that is exactly what I'd say.

Ah, you might be pushing it a little with the L glass thing. ;)

Bluedog
04-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Wonderful photos of flowers there ...

Thanks and thanks everyone else too. I've got some very good results using a tripod this morning that I'll put in a separate thread.

Bluedog
04-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Naw. I had my say. Now it's time to play. No more on the XT. If you guys like it that's all that counts. ;)

I'm really enjoying mine so far now that the shooting conditions have gotten more favorable but I must say it was a hard choice not going with the D70. The size between the two cameras was a big factor in my choice and one I hope I won't regret later.

Deciding on the next lens is my dilemma now ... :o