PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Freelance Website

jameswatkins
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi all :D

Just a freelance photographer doing my thing down here in New Zealand, ive put alot of time and effort into my site:

http://www.jameswatkins.co.nz

would be stoked if you'd checkd it out and gave me some feedback/critiquing.

thanking you all for your time.

james. :cool:

speaklightly
03-30-2005, 02:26 PM
James-

That is quite a nice website.

Sarah Joyce

Bald Eagle
03-30-2005, 04:56 PM
All I can say as an amateur photographer is, I love the use of imagination and creativity that you have captured in the photos in your gallery. Thank you for sharing. :)

jameswatkins
03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Bald Eagle: thanks heaps for your kind words. made my day :)

speaklightly: also thanks for taking the time to have a browse and to post...

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM

Just a freelance photographer doing my thing down here in New Zealand, ive put alot of time and effort into my site:

would be stoked if you'd checkd it out and gave me some feedback/critiquing.

thanking you all for your time.

Good stuff james, both the site and the pictures. Might be more interesting if you cropped some of these. Like the guys doing flips off the wall, and the little girl looking back, so that the focus would be on the primary subjects.

Just a thought. Again thanks for the opportunity to see some nice shots with an 8080. And a well laid out and captioned gallery site.

jameswatkins
04-01-2005, 05:13 AM
hi george...

i cropped one of the backflip ones quite heavily, and was pleased with the results...

but i felt that if cropped the 2nd one, you had nothing to reference them to..so they could of been on a trampoline or something....i dunno..i guess u just go with gut instinct on these types of things..and not everyone sees things the same right?

james.

jameswatkins
04-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Hi all, recently uploaded a new long exposure gallery:

http://www.jameswatkins.co.nz/longexposure.htm

Opinions would be much appreciated, im just getting into this long exposure game.

james.

gary_hendricks
04-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Hi James,

I think you've a wonderfully designed website. Your photo gallery is especially good - I like the way your shots are framed creatively, which provides respite from the plethora of 'standard' photo galleries out there. Great work and keep it up! :)

D70FAN
04-03-2005, 07:36 AM
hi george...

i cropped one of the backflip ones quite heavily, and was pleased with the results...

but i felt that if cropped the 2nd one, you had nothing to reference them to..so they could of been on a trampoline or something....i dunno..i guess u just go with gut instinct on these types of things..and not everyone sees things the same right?

james.

Yup. Sometimes what your eye sees is right in the first place. Then you crop it for an effect and it just doesn't look right, so back to the original.

Anyway I really like the site and the content. Makes me want to get off my lazy tail and enhance the smugmug gallery... ;)

Looking forward to more.

jameswatkins
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Gary: Thanks for taking the time to post, I do like to think my photography doesnt follow any rules or boundaries, i just do my own thing and hope for the best, sometimes it works..sometimes it doesnt.....thats why i love digital , the fact that u can just shoot something over and over again until you get the shot your looking for....

George: you should get off your lazy tail and take those shots, they just waiting to be snapped!!! glad your looking forward to more, i update at least once a week, so yeah...hope you enjoi!

james.

Bluedog
04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I have to agree with the masses ... excellent work indeed.

jameswatkins
04-06-2005, 12:07 AM
cheers bluedog...thanks for taking the time to have a nosy.... :) :)

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 06:10 AM
George: you should get off your lazy tail and take those shots, they just waiting to be snapped!!! glad your looking forward to more, i update at least once a week, so yeah...hope you enjoi!

james.

Actually the lazy tail reference has to do with organizing. The shooting part is definately not the problem and causes the organization delema. ;) 2000 more pictures to go. I will do these this weekend as I owe a few prints...to a few people.

Same here. I try to update the smugmug gallery once a week.

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

jameswatkins
04-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Actually the lazy tail reference has to do with organizing. The shooting part is definately not the problem and causes the organization delema. ;) 2000 more pictures to go. I will do these this weekend as I owe a few prints...to a few people.

Same here. I try to update the smugmug gallery once a week.

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

sorry george, didnt mean to sound so patronising!!

I know how you feel re: organising pictures...at any one time i have a ridiculous amount of images on my hard drive awaiting attention....never seem to be able to cut it down....

Norm in Fujino
04-12-2005, 05:39 AM

Really nice site, James, thanks for letting us know about it. Great time exposures at night. The one of the women watching the carousel reminded me of a certain movie--like the thing was going six bazillion miles an hour.

--and sorry to hear about the spammers on your guestbook. Sad.

jameswatkins
04-15-2005, 05:41 PM
thanks norm...what movie does it remind you of??

ive been getting well into my long exposures as of late :)

james.

jameswatkins
05-22-2005, 03:39 AM
check new updates.

james.

Norm in Fujino
05-22-2005, 03:58 AM
thanks norm...what movie does it remind you of??

Sorry for not getting back to you, James. The movie was back in the late 70s, but I can't remember for sure the name! It was either "Scanners" or another similar one with exploding heads--but the reason I remembered it was for one scene in which the telepathic guys were causing this carousel to whirl around faster and faster until it exploded. Sorry if that's not the scene you had in mind in your photo! ;)

jameswatkins
05-22-2005, 05:03 PM
haha, no not quite what i was invisaging (sp) for that shot....always open to interpretation tho!

james.

jameswatkins
05-27-2005, 03:25 AM
got heaps of cool shots in a fresh batch of photographic motivation/inspiration.

will be drip feeding them onto my site daily from now on..

check it!

james.

Sigbhu
05-28-2005, 12:15 AM
loved your shots(esp the long exposures)----there's a photo there that needs rotation :rolleyes:

Sigbhu
05-28-2005, 12:16 AM
the shot on your home page is the best---it's simply INCREDIBLE!

jameswatkins
05-28-2005, 06:34 AM
wot shots are you referring to sigbhu???

aparmley
05-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Great Site James! Thanks for sharing it will us. Love the night shots/ long exp. Really like the one currently occupying the top spot on your home page - The view from atop the tree that finished droping its yellow leaves. Your site is truely an inspiration. I have tagged it a favorite.

AllanC
05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
James, great site. Great photos. Got it marked as a Favorite too. Keep up the very good work, gives insipation to us just starting out. Well done.

All the best with the Freelance.

Allan.

ht46
05-31-2005, 05:23 PM
I have to say that your pictures are just about the best pictures I've looked at from this site. I've bookmarked your page and am looking forward to seeing all of your updates. You really are an incredible photographer, and I think you can do great things with your photos, I really hope everything works out for you!

Just one question, is the Olympus 8080 the only camera you're using to take these photos?

jameswatkins
06-01-2005, 05:02 AM
wow...pretty blown away with that response.....

ht46:
I have to say that your pictures are just about the best pictures I've looked at from this site.

you just made my day...thanking u very much, and yes i have shot entirely with my 8080..im upgrading to an E1 or E300 in a couple of months, but will definitely be holding onto my 8080...its a fantastic camera that will treat you right..if u return the favour :)

Allan C: thanks for checking out my site, and again for taking the time out of you day to post...much appreciated...wicked that u added me in your favourites!! Inspiring? thats a nice compliment..

Aparmely: special thanks for taking the time to email, and bring all this palava (sp) to my attention! Im a big fan of long exposures, so many variables, if buts and maybes, so much depends on shutter speed and timing, a true test! I really like that tree shot too, albeit a bit dangerous..(try having ur 1gig card say its full when your 30 feet up a tree and u wana keep shooting!!)

thank you all again, as long as i get feedback like this i'll keep doing what im doing!

james.

jameswatkins
06-01-2005, 05:30 AM
4got 2 add..

just updated with a picture iam VERY happy with...took me AGES but got it just right...

check it :)

james.

jameswatkins
06-08-2005, 10:15 PM
got loads of shots at the mo,drip feeding them on every day or so..

check it..

ez.

jameswatkins
06-27-2005, 08:00 AM
*Shameless bump*

:D :D

Idnas71
06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Really nice photos, James. I especially enjoyed some of your captions and explanations. You're living in one of my top three "wish list" travel destinations. I guess you hear that a lot... keep up the awesome photography and blogging.

jameswatkins
07-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Really nice photos, James. I especially enjoyed some of your captions and explanations. You're living in one of my top three "wish list" travel destinations. I guess you hear that a lot... keep up the awesome photography and blogging.

thanks for your words of encouragement!

u should def. check out nz...its a beautiful country!

jameswatkins
07-22-2005, 12:02 AM
*recently updated*

jameswatkins
09-21-2005, 07:46 PM
hi guys,

got a new site URL...

http://www.jameswatkinsphotography.com

check it..

peace