PDA

View Full Version : SD500 flower closeups

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 09:02 AM
After a lot of reading, I decided to buy the SD500. This is my first camera and I have to say I really really like it. It pretty much goes wherever I go now. Here are a few photos taken in my backyard using the macro mode. They are all uncropped and untouched in Photoshop except for resizing them for the web. Let me know what you think.

http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/thedrawingboard/viewtopic.php?t=29400

speaklightly
03-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Wes-

I don't think that the link is working correctly.

Sarah Joyce

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Hmm...very sorry you are having problems accessing the link. It works for me. Any ideas? That site is an art forum that also has a photography section. I posted the photos on there.

Wes

Dimitri
03-30-2005, 01:36 PM
The link works but all I see is a message thread with a couple posts but no pictures are showing up. You sure we don't have to be members to see the photos?

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Gah...I forgot about that. Yes you do have to be members to view images uploaded to that site. I'll see what I can do about finding a host for my pictures.

JTL
03-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Gah...I forgot about that. Yes you do have to be members to view images uploaded to that site. I'll see what I can do about finding a host for my pictures.In the mean time, you could just attach them here...we need more SD500 examples to stem the tide of misinformation being directed at this camera...Thanks! :)

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
ok...lets see if this works.

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
more

The last one is a rather inquisitive monkey... :)

sherlock
03-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey,

Very nice macro shots. The first, second, and fourth ones are ok, but the third has a cluttered compostion, and there is a plant in the bottom that is also confusing. Funny monkey too!

Andrew S

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any help/tips/info on taking macro shots would be great. This is the first camera I have ever owned...so I dont know much about taking photos. C+C is always welcome. :)

Wes

By the way...at the time I took these photos, I didnt realize that you could turn off AiAF. Some of the pictures appeared a bit out of focus becuse it was on.

Bald Eagle
03-30-2005, 08:03 PM
like the Macros. Very good colors as well.

BlueGrassGirl
03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
I like the close up shots as well. I took a photo of a monkey with my new digicam too... :D

SamuraiJack
03-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Haha...yeah, I liked the monkey. Glad you guys can finally see the pictures.

On another note...what do you think of Image Event for hosting pictures? Has anyone used it much? At only $25 a year, that seems like a fairly good deal for 1500 pictures and unlimited bandwidth. I am going to France and Italy in May and plan on taking a bunch of pictures. I am looking for a decent site to host them for family and friends when I get back. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the replys

Wes

JTL
03-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks for posting! I'm glad you discovered turning off the AIAF. This "feature" seems to be getting a lot of those new to the Canon auto-focusing system in trouble. Now you have to go out and take more pictures! :)

My favorite of the lot is IMG 0322.jpg

Great start!

SamuraiJack
03-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the comment. I am slowely figuring out the different options. The camera is very fun to play around with. I do wish it had some sort of manual focus though. It would make macro shots easier. I guess that among other things defeats the purpose of a small P+S camera. Maybe I'll have to buy a DSLR next. :)

Hope to post more pictures soon.

Wes

SamuraiJack
04-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Here are a few new pictures from work today. I love carrying my SD500 around in my pocket. Never know when you might get a cool shot. The picture of the truck was from a wreck. The guy was drunk, on drugs, and actually ran off just as we got there. The police chased him down though and put him in handcuffs, so we never transported him to the hospital. The pictures are uncropped and pretty much straight from the camera except for resizing. If you want to see a few more of the original full size photos, feel free to check this site out.

http://imageevent.com/cartoonnerd/emspictures

I'm still figuring this camera out. I wish I knew what shutter speed it was going to use every time. It seems to change even though I have it in manual mode. Anyone wanna give me some help on this?

Wes