PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good battery charger kit

suuuueee
03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
After a long time researching, I've finally decided to get the Canon Powershot A95.

It uses 4 AA alkaline batteries, and I realize that I'll need to buy rechargeables and a good charger.

Which rechargeable batteries are good for this type of appliance? (I WILL be using the LCD) I didn't realize that there were alkaline rechargeables as well as NiMH, I thought they were the same thing... And apparently, there's such a thing is NiCad batteries as well?

So if anyone could explain the alkaline/nimh/nicad thing for me, that'd be great. And does anyone know of any good chargers? I don't really mind if they take long, I'm not interested in chargers that are only known for their top speed. I don't mind taking 3-5 hours to charge batteries.

Thanks in advance.

Fred
03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
I have an A95 and use Energizer 2300maH rechargeables (Nimh) with it which I charge in a Maha 401FS charger and am very satisifed with this combination. I got the charger from Thomas Distributing after recommendations to buy there from members of this forum and others. Hope this helps.

www.thomas-distributing.com

suuuueee
03-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Fred, how often do you find yourself charging your batteries?

03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
I also own the A95 and I got the Maha C204W charger along with 2 sets of 2300mAh Powerex Batteries... I can say that I am most pleased with it... After 5 cycles, I can get over 400 shots with 100% LCD use and at least 50% flash use... all this over a period of 1 month...

Other chargers I'd recommend is the Maha C401FS or the Ripvan100 Lightning Pack 4000N.

Fred
03-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Fred, how often do you find yourself charging your batteries?

I'm not too precise when it comes to checking how many pictures I can get on a set of batteries, but initially I'm getting about 250-300 pictures per set. This also includes hooking up the camera to my TV and reviewing pics with my wife periodically, so that has to be factored in. The batteries are relatively new, and based on everything I have read so far, should provide even greater intervals between charges once they have been cycled (discharged and recharged) about 3 to 5 times. Hope that helps.

jbcm
03-31-2005, 08:45 AM
The Rayovac 15min charger with 4 I-C3AA's is a great charger and the best thing is it only takes 15min. I use it and the life is very good same as others have posted. You can get it at Walmart.

nowin
03-31-2005, 10:53 AM
For her Sony diskman-thingee, my wife has Maha 401 charger and 2300 PowerEx batts that we got from www.thomas-distributing.com. No problems at all.

Excellent pricing and fast shipping, in our experience.

Eddie

suuuueee
03-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Pooey. My dad went ahead and bought a simple charger/battery kit from canon at dell.com.

Big mistake?

When I find out I'll post.