PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Photos

kornhauser
03-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Okay, I just uploaded my first photo here ("Bear" under this forum listing) and I'm a little displeased with the quality. The original picture is 3 MB. In order to upload it, I had to save it as a 640 x 480 picture and reduce the quality to 50 to save it below the required limits of this forum.

Now the picture appears a little grainy and the color not as high as the original.

Anyone have any suggestions to improve this process so I don't loose so much? :rolleyes: :p

Bluedog
03-27-2005, 04:39 PM
What application did you use to resize it? You should always resize keeping the same Aspect Ratio.

John_Reed
03-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Okay, I just uploaded my first photo here ("Bear" under this forum listing) and I'm a little displeased with the quality. The original picture is 3 MB. In order to upload it, I had to save it as a 640 x 480 picture and reduce the quality to 50 to save it below the required limits of this forum.

Now the picture appears a little grainy and the color not as high as the original.

Anyone have any suggestions to improve this process so I don't loose so much? :rolleyes: :pI find uploading photos directly to this site to be a pain, mainly because of the size limitations. I have to keep working at the file size to get it under the limit. Instead, I use a web-hosting site: http://www.smugmug.com - they have some free options, I think, but I pay $30 per year to get full bandwidth. (Didn't have to pay this year, as I referred some people, and this year is free) Using Smugmug, I first upload the full-sized photo to their site, and there it gets a URL of its own, that I can paste in between a pair of "..." brackets to display here, like so:
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/18316424-L.jpg
If you do decide to use Smugmug, I'd appreciate your referring to my e-mail address: JohnReed@circuitexpert.com.

Bluedog
03-27-2005, 05:51 PM
or use imageshack for FREE.

sherlock
03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey,

When I post photos, I resize to about 750x520, and the images still hold a lot of there quality. Your mileage may vary, but its just a suggestion.

Andrew S.