PDA

View Full Version : Can Memory Cards be used for file storage?

Paparazzi
03-26-2005, 11:07 PM
As the topic says ... Can Memory Cards be used for file storage?

I'm thinking of getting myself one of the Sony and was wondering if there would be a problem / malfunction / decreased performance if I use the memory stick for file storage as well.

Would the Memory Stick or for that matter any mem card support files like exe, zip, etc..?
Would it be a problem if the file transported is jpg or mp3 ?

Assuming that I go for the sony, would I be able to drag from explorer and drop into the mem card ... the camera therby acting as the reader ... or am I risking myself? Don't want to do something foolish and miss out on all the fun and hence the questions in advance.

Thanks & Cheers!

dwig
03-27-2005, 06:58 AM
There should be no problem doing this _BUT_ some cameras might not like having extra files and folders on the card.

I've done this with my Nikon CP's (950 & 8400) and neither has ever "complained". Just be careful to format the card in the camera first and to not disturb any of the files and folders the camera creates. I recomment that you put your non-camera created files in a folder, rather on the root, that has a very unique name. Never use a folder named "Firmware" at the root level with a Nikon; such a folder has a special meaning for Nikon digicams.

nowin
03-31-2005, 10:11 AM
...a handy way to move stuff from computer to computer when in a pickle. Once in a while, I would have a couple of invisible files that would not "delete" when I emptied the card contents to the computer trash (using Mac's), and those would just take up maybe a meg's worth of card-memory space.

As mentioned, just reformat of the card when you pop it back into the camera and it will be back to normal.

Eddie