PDA

View Full Version : My First D70 Shots

kshoari
03-25-2005, 02:16 PM
OK... I've now had my D70 for little over a week, and so far I love it... This is my first digital camera ever, and during the past week I have tried to test as many features and play with as many settings as I could, from firmware version to various modes, etc. Most pictures came out great (well... bear in mind that I am a newbie and it is not hard for a picture to satisfy my taste ;) ) On the flip side though, I did find 6-7 CCD dust spots in my sky test shots the very first day (which do not really bother me in regular shots), I did notice moire in one or two shots, and I also noticed some kind of vignetting in lower side of one or two of my shots when I'd the focal length at 18mm and the aperture wide open with the lens hood on. Here are a couple of sample shots either myself or my wife has taken. They are all with the kit lens and are either in Auto or Aperture-Priority mode. Also note that there is no post processing except that the pictures are all recompressed and reduced in size...

TheObiJuan
03-25-2005, 02:24 PM
congrats on purchasing an awesome camera.
The first one in very pretty but a bit underexposed.
The second in one fantastic. The cat's fur is adorable.
The third one is lovely aswell, but also a bit underexposed, or perhaps a cloudy day?

the final one is very nice too. I like the colors. ;)

kshoari
03-25-2005, 02:28 PM
congrats on purchasing an awesome camera.
The first one in very pretty but a bit underexposed.
The second in one fantastic. The cat's fur is adorable.
The third one is lovely aswell, but also a bit underexposed, or perhaps a cloudy day?

the final one is very nice too. I like the colors. ;)

Thanks for your comments... but you know... I think I have come to the conclusion that D70 does indeed underexpose the pictures a bit, maybe to keep the details... I think I'll keep the exposure comp at +0.3 for most situations...

Bluedog
03-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Awesome job.

D70FAN
03-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your comments... but you know... I think I have come to the conclusion that D70 does indeed underexpose the pictures a bit, maybe to keep the details... I think I'll keep the exposure comp at +0.3 for most situations...

You might want to check the ISO setting as well. Take the camera out of auto ISO and things will change for the better. ;) In Auto ISO the camera really likes to set the ISO high and then underexpose to compensate.

kshoari
03-25-2005, 03:53 PM
You might want to check the ISO setting as well. Take the camera out of auto ISO and things will change for the better. ;) In Auto ISO the camera really likes to set the ISO high and then underexpose to compensate.

I'd kept the ISO at 200. My understanding is that even in the auto mode, unless ISO is specifically set to Auto in the menu, the camera uses the ISO selected by the user, right? If that is the case, I always had the Custom Setting 5 (ISO Auto) set to OFF, if that's what you mean.

BTW, is 6-7 dust spots normal in a brand new camera? As I said, at this point they don't bother me and I only notice them in plain test shots, but just curious... Also have you ever had any vignetting experince with the kit lens?

Thanks,

DiJ
03-25-2005, 06:33 PM
The first one is good. Nice color. Most dslr will tend to underexpose by default. If theres no danger of blowing any bright highlights like in that picture you can bump up the exp compensation and get better results out of the camera.

D70FAN
03-25-2005, 08:34 PM
I'd kept the ISO at 200. My understanding is that even in the auto mode, unless ISO is specifically set to Auto in the menu, the camera uses the ISO selected by the user, right? If that is the case, I always had the Custom Setting 5 (ISO Auto) set to OFF, if that's what you mean.

BTW, is 6-7 dust spots normal in a brand new camera? As I said, at this point they don't bother me and I only notice them in plain test shots, but just curious... Also have you ever had any vignetting experince with the kit lens?

Thanks,

I dunno. Let's see the dust spots. I don't remember seeing vignetting with the kit lens (although my 18-125 has a tendancy wide open).

Where did you buy this camera? Just curious.

kshoari
03-25-2005, 09:25 PM
I dunno. Let's see the dust spots. I don't remember seeing vignetting with the kit lens (although my 18-125 has a tendancy wide open).

Where did you buy this camera? Just curious.

Here is the portion I cropped from my sky test shot which shows two spots if you notice. I don't know if they were dust spots on my CCD or maybe even on my filter!

I got the camera from buydig.com. It has actually been a good experience so far as the order processing and shipment was fast, and the camera kit and the box did indeed look brand new and it did have all the US warranty cards and everything. In fact, I even called Nikon before my purchase and asked them about buydig making sure that they would honor the rebate and they told me that they do indeed aprove of buydig.

D70FAN
03-26-2005, 05:22 AM
Here is the portion I cropped from my sky test shot which shows two spots if you notice. I don't know if they were dust spots on my CCD or maybe even on my filter!

I got the camera from buydig.com. It has actually been a good experience so far as the order processing and shipment was fast, and the camera kit and the box did indeed look brand new and it did have all the US warranty cards and everything. In fact, I even called Nikon before my purchase and asked them about buydig making sure that they would honor the rebate and they told me that they do indeed aprove of buydig.

Yup that looks like sensor dust. I don't know what to tell you other than it took a long time for dust to finally show up on my D70 (just lucky I guess).

But you never know if someone might have returned it, and most on-line stores would not know to check the camera. I guess you could clean it yourself or send it in. :( If there is a local camera repair they might also offer a cleaning service.

P.S. Sometimes it will go away with use. Here in the desert this happens more often than not, but it could be because its so dry that nothing sticks. ;)

gary_hendricks
03-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Congrats on owning one of the best cameras on the planet! :)