PDA

View Full Version : New User and New Camera Photo

BlueGrassGirl
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I am a new user and this is my first post so please go easy on me...

I am not a professional photographer by any means. However, I am interested in learning the basics of good photography and portrait photography specifically babies and children. I am also interested in learning about football and other outdoor sports/action shots.

I took this photo with a Kodak dx6490
I'm not sure of all the settings. It was in PASM mode/bw/ no flash. I am not familiar yet with all of the manual setting terms.

I am looking for constructive feedback for my photos and how I can take better photos.

jamison55
03-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey BlueGrassGirl, welcome to the forum!

I think you should be really happy with this picture! You captured a great expression, the subject is plenty sharp, with a nicely blurred background, the background adds to the subject without being distracting.

If I had any suggestions, they would be nit-picky (because the picture is beautiful as it is!), but here goes: The spot of sun on the side of his face is a little distracting, next time turn him a little more to your right so that the shadow disappears - or - turn on your flash to make his entire face as bright as the shadow (that will have the added benefit of adding little sparkles to his eyes). If you are really brave, turn him so that his back is to the sun completely and turn on the flash. The strong backlight will produce a dreamy "halo" effect around him, while the flash fills in his face. As for PS, I always add a little extra contrast to B&W shots (+10 should do it) to add some extra punch.

Welcome again, and keep posting your beautiful pictures.

D70FAN
03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I am a new user and this is my first post so please go easy on me...

I am not a professional photographer by any means. However, I am interested in learning the basics of good photography and portrait photography specifically babies and children. I am also interested in learning about football and other outdoor sports/action shots.

I took this photo with a Kodak dx6490
I'm not sure of all the settings. It was in PASM mode/bw/ no flash. I am not familiar yet with all of the manual setting terms.

I am looking for constructive feedback for my photos and how I can take better photos.

Great shot. I agree with Jamison but, for all intents and purposes, this one is suitable for framing even with the sun spot.

Now you need to take some bad photos so we have something to critique. ;)

speaklightly
03-21-2005, 03:24 PM
George and Jamison has said it well!

It is a great shot! Try the fill flash and perhaps move in a bit closes so the child's face is more visible.

Welcome to the forum!

Sarah Joyce

BlueGrassGirl
03-21-2005, 03:43 PM
thank you all for your quick replies.

You have all given good feedback. I didnt know those things before. I am glad this forum is here to help me find out what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.

I have taken over 100+ photos since I got this camera a few days ago so I am sure I can post some bad shots. I am still figuring this camera out and all of its settings.

Jamison, when you say PS what do you mean?

Also, what is a fill flash? I am still very basic even though I have been taking photos for as long as I can remember. I have never really had a lot of time to learn the manual settings and how to use them on my cameras.

BlueGrassGirl
03-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Here is another image to critique. (btw, this is my 4 yr old son and he doesnt smile often in photos but he loves being in them :D )

jamison55
03-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Jamison, when you say PS what do you mean?

Also, what is a fill flash? I am still very basic even though I have been taking photos for as long as I can remember. I have never really had a lot of time to learn the manual settings and how to use them on my cameras.

PS is Photoshop, or whatever program you use to post process your photos. Most digital photos need a little tweaking to make them really shine.

To get fill flash, simply turn on your flash during the daytime. The flash fills in the shadow areas of your subject making the shot look more "professional". Try turning your flash on even when you don't think you need it.

Your little guy is sure cute!

BlueGrassGirl
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I have Adobe Photoshop. That is what I use to work with or edit photos.

So, what basic thing can I do to make all of my shots look more professional since I dont have a professional level digital camera?

I do have a Canon SLR but its not digital.

jamison55
03-21-2005, 07:18 PM
So, what basic thing can I do to make all of my shots look more professional since I dont have a professional level digital camera?

A pinch of sharpening, a pinch of contrast, and a little warming (if needed) do wonders.

Unsharp Mask (Amount 75, Radius 1, Threshold 1)
Brightness/Contrast (Contrast +15)
Photo Filter (Warming Filter (85) 25%)
Curves (just a touch in the middle)

The result: (hope you don't mind)

BlueGrassGirl
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I dont mind. I see a big difference in the hat and eyes.

I need to learn how to do this.

Thanks!