PDA

View Full Version : Here's a flower you eat

D70FAN
03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Seems that everyone likes to shoot flowers, and there are a few in this shot, but I don't think we have many shots of the Artichoke. Unfortunately these get picked and eaten before they bloom into a massive purple flower, so I have no pictures of one in full bloom. :(

Taken outside of Castroville, CA - the Artichoke Capitol Of the World - at the mouth of the Salinas Valley. D70/Sigma18-125, f6.3, 1/50sec., ISO200, 26mm.

Digideb
03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I hope you don't mind me jumping in your thread,George, with an odd edible pic of my own. :)
These are the elusive "Black Trumpets" or Chantrelles, wild mushrooms that are very tasty, despite their "questionable" appearance. ;) They're only around for about a month in early Spring, here on the Calif. coast.
I'm looking forward to participating in your lighthouse thread,also,George. I'm planning a "photo safari" up to our local lighthouse as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

D70FAN
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I hope you don't mind me jumping in your thread,George, with an odd edible pic of my own. :)
These are the elusive "Black Trumpets" or Chantrelles, wild mushrooms that are very tasty, despite their "questionable" appearance. ;) They're only around for about a month in early Spring, here on the Calif. coast.
I'm looking forward to participating in your lighthouse thread,also,George. I'm planning a "photo safari" up to our local lighthouse as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

I think we have a salad going here. A couple of miles east of the artichokes are the lettuce and tomato fields of the Salinas Valley, with some carrots and strawberries thrown in, Cherries in Gilroy and Apples in Watsonville. We'll have to get the olives and Feta from the Central Valley. And the wine? Just about anywhere grapes will grow in California. But Napa and Sanoma come to mind.

Wild mushrooms are abundant on the coast this time of year. Especially after all the rain. I've only been a desert dweller for a year, before that it was the South Bay Area and originally Monterey.

Feel free to shoot and display veggies of all kinds here. Even though mushrooms are technically a fungus.

Which lighthouses are close to you? Pidgeon Point, Point Reyes, Alcatraz, etc? Somewhere I have a shot of Point Sur Light, but it's an older shot so I guess I just need a good excuse to shoot it again. :D

Digideb
03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
I think we have a salad going here. A couple of miles east of the artichokes are the lettuce and tomato fields of the Salinas Valley, with some carrots and strawberries thrown in, Cherries in Gilroy and Apples in Watsonville. We'll have to get the olives and Feta from the Central Valley. And the wine? Just about anywhere grapes will grow in California. But Napa and Sanoma come to mind.

Wild mushrooms are abundant on the coast this time of year. Especially after all the rain. I've only been a desert dweller for a year, before that it was the South Bay Area and originally Monterey.

Feel free to shoot and display veggies of all kinds here. Even though mushrooms are technically a fungus.

Which lighthouses are close to you? Pidgeon Point, Point Reyes, Alcatraz, etc? Somewhere I have a shot of Point Sur Light, but it's an older shot so I guess I just need a good excuse to shoot it again. :DThanks, George. I'll post my best edible pix here. Maybe your thread will become the "Food Channel" of the Photo Gallery. :)
Yes, we do have quite a few wild mushrooms here during the rainy season, but they're just about finished up for this year. The Black Chantrelles rarely position themselves so conveniently for a "Photo Op" like the cluster I caught here.
I live just a short distance from the great Pt. Arena lighthouse. I'm looking forward to the challenge of "capturing" it. It's on a very exposed bluff, rarely without a blasting wind. I've taken snapshots of it over the years, but not since I got the crazy idea that I might almost be a "photographer". :D

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Thanks, George. I'll post my best edible pix here. Maybe your thread will become the "Food Channel" of the Photo Gallery. :)
Yes, we do have quite a few wild mushrooms here during the rainy season, but they're just about finished up for this year. The Black Chantrelles rarely position themselves so conveniently for a "Photo Op" like the cluster I caught here.
I live just a short distance from the great Pt. Arena lighthouse. I'm looking forward to the challenge of "capturing" it. It's on a very exposed bluff, rarely without a blasting wind. I've taken snapshots of it over the years, but not since I got the crazy idea that I might almost be a "photographer". :D

If you start looking at the world as a series of potential photos and if your camera travels everywhere you do, then you have arrived. The picture of the Black Chantrelles proves that this is the case. So no almost about it.

I assume that you live on the Medocino Coast above Bodega or somewhere in that general vacinity. It do get pretty breezy this time of year, so just lean into the wind and press that shutter release.

Digideb
03-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks, George, for the kind words,very encouraging! That'll add fuel to my enthusiasm & as soon as this rain breaks, I'll be out "walking (& shooting)tall". :D