PDA

View Full Version : Smartmedia format

hockyfan
03-20-2005, 02:51 PM
I have a Smartmedia card that came with my digital camera, however, I wish to use it in my guitar pedal, which accepts smart media cards.

My question is, if I put it in the pedal and the pedal "formats" it, will I at a later date still be able to use it again in my digital camera? Or is the formatting for another device permanant? Or, does it depend on my camera - or can all cameras "reformat" the card?

Thanks in advance.

h

Norm in Fujino
03-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a Smartmedia card that came with my digital camera, however, I wish to use it in my guitar pedal, which accepts smart media cards.

My question is, if I put it in the pedal and the pedal "formats" it, will I at a later date still be able to use it again in my digital camera? Or is the formatting for another device permanant? Or, does it depend on my camera - or can all cameras "reformat" the card?

Not knowing your specific devices I wouldn't say for sure, but in general, yes, you should be able to reformat your card in the camera again after using it in the guitar pedal. I've used SmartMedia cards as storage devices to transfer files between computers (using the floppy disc Flashpath device) and had no trouble with them. One caveat: after using the card in the guitar pedal, don't try to use it in the camera again without reformatting it (in the camera), or you could run into trouble.

hockyfan
03-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Will most cameras automatically detect that the card needs to be reformatted, and then perform the formatting? I have an Olympus 360-L, it's old, but if that helps at all I appreciate it. Thanks again.

h

Norm in Fujino
03-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't know about "most" cameras, but my old Oly D-620 wouldn't. Just remember to format it as soon as you return it to the camera.