PDA

View Full Version : The Lighthouse Thread

Pages : [1] 2

D70FAN
03-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Well, Jeff didn't say no, so here it is. The lighthouse thread. If you have a good lighthouse picture this is the place. Please post at least basic information on where it is and what camera and settings. Here is a different version of one I've already posted (so I will erase that one).

Point Pinos Lighthouse, Pacific Grove CA. Nikon D70, Sigma 18-125 DC. f8, 1/800sec., ISO200.

sherlock
03-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey George,

I've erased the other times I've posted this shot, so here you go! Finepix 3800, 1/350 @ f/2.8. It was taken in Nova Scotia, as you probably know from my other post. It was originally gas powered but when electricity was discovered it was converted. BTW, I love lighthouses too, George, so I'm really glad that you started this thread! :D

Andrew S.

judge9847
03-20-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm lucky. I live by the sea. Have done all my life though in different parts of the country. Right now I'm on the extreme South Coast of England. Just a few miles down the road from here is Dungeness Point, home to two nuclear power stations - and two lighthouses!

Here's the first one. This is known as the "Old" lighthouse though it is in fact the fourth one to stand on the point. Built in 1901 it's redundant now because the shingle around this part of the world drifts dramatically along the shoreline and nowadays, because of that drift, the lighthouse is actually a long way from the sea!! Not a lot of good then!! Today it's a museum and if you're brave enough to climb the 169 steps and then out on to the upper platform, you'll get a very good view of the French coast line.

Panasonic FZ10, f6.5, 1/1000sec and for some reason (like I forgot to change it) ISO100.

judge9847
03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
This is the second (and currently operational) lighthouse at Dungeness Point in the UK. It had to be built because the "Old" lighthouse in effect moved too far away from the sea to be of any use to shipping. The "displacement" was caused by the shingle drift that occurs in this part of the world and over time, the shoreline moved further and further out, leaving the "Old" lighthouse a long way from the sea. So this one was built.

I have an ambition to go to Dungeness Point in Washington State. Can't be too many people who can say they've been to both ;O)

Panasonic FZ10, f7.2, 1/1000sec, ISO100 (and I still don't know why!)

Great idea George!

DiJ
03-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Ocean Park Hongkong

Canon A40 TV:1/250s, AV:f/3.5, 9.4mm, ISO100, Exp +0ev, Auto WB

sherlock
03-21-2005, 05:51 AM
Ocean Park Hongkong

Hey,

Real nice! Great colors and composition. Kindof hazy though, maybe a polarizer would've helped? BTW, what camera did you use?

Andrew S.

DiJ
03-22-2005, 07:22 PM
We expecting the official lightkeeper here to shows us some real lighthouse picture. :)

Rhys
03-24-2005, 12:44 PM
This is a photo of Mumbles lighthouse in Swansea, Great Britain.

Rhys
03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
This is Morris Island lighthouse, Charleston, USA.

Rhys
03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Rhys, thanks. (don't you mean Swansea, Wales? ;) )

Also could you edit in some of the base camera info to the title header?

Thanks.

All taken in aperture priority mode - my most used mode.

D70FAN
03-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Since I'm too cheap to rent a plane, I thought that this scale overview might work. Since it was shot at 1/50sec handheld, and kitchen lighting... :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm still looking for a lighthouse in Phoenix...

gquiring
03-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Sandy Hook, NJ. Built in 1764. This was my first outing with my Rebel XT using the included lens. The photo was taken in full auto mode. 1/500sec, F16, ISO 400.

D70FAN
03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Sandy Hook, NJ. Built in 1764. This was my first outing with my Rebel XT using the included lens. The photo was taken in full auto mode. 1/500sec, F16, ISO 400.

Now that's a famous US lighthouse. Thanks.

Very nice shot.

EAP
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Taken a couple of years ago using a point and shoot film camera. :eek:

D70FAN
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Taken a couple of years ago using a point and shoot film camera. :eek:

Very cool. Yes we accept film scans. ;)

sherlock
03-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey,

This is the Cape May Lighthouse, taken on summer vacation last year. Criticizm welcome.

Andrew S.

EAP
03-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Since I'm too cheap to rent a plane, I thought that this scale overview might work. Since it was shot at 1/50sec handheld, and kitchen lighting... :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm still looking for a lighthouse in Phoenix...

I like this shot! Very creative. :) Good luck with your lighthouse search in Phoenix...

D70FAN
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I like this shot! Very creative. :) Good luck with your lighthouse search in Phoenix...

So here it is. Not in Phoenix, but Gilbert, AZ (a better place). This is the new St. Georges Light, on the shore of Pebbletec Bay. I am the kleeper of this light (although the accomodations are a bit cramped). It is solar powered and fully automated.

Sorry, I took some liberties on the Saint thing. Not even close.

D70, Sigma 18-125, 1/125, f5.6, 78mm, etc.

speaklightly
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Andrew-

Thanks for the great Cape May lighthouse photo. It is very dramatic.

Sarah Joyce

sherlock
03-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Andrew-

Thanks for the great Cape May lighthouse photo. It is very dramatic.

Sarah Joyce

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for your kind words. This tiny lighthouse is in Nova Scotia, just across an inlet from where I stayed. The sunsets there are just amazing. Sorry about the image quality, it gets so bad when I downsize for posting.

Andrew S.

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Digideb. Where are those pictures of the Point Arena light? Are you guys still under water?

;)

speaklightly
03-31-2005, 03:00 PM
George-

Here is a photo of the Battery Poingt Light at Crescent City, CA.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
George-

Here is a photo of the Battery Poingt Light at Crescent City, CA.

Sarah Joyce

I can always count on you to dig through the collection. Camera? Settings?

EAP
04-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Bandon, Oregon. Taken with a film point and shoot camera and scanned (hence the fuzziness).

EAP
04-01-2005, 02:04 AM
This is the Eldred Rock Lighthouse, the oldest original Alaskan lighthouse (built in 1905). It sits on a tiny island in the stormy waters of Lynn Canal, which runs from Juneau to Skagway. It's not open to the public, but I was fortunate enough to visit during a rare window of good weather in 2000, while kayaking the length of Lynn Canal. Taken with a point and shoot film camera and scanned.

speaklightly
04-01-2005, 07:28 AM
George-

Here is the photo data.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
04-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Wow. Thanks for those recent pictures EAP, Sarah, Rhys, sherlock, et-al. Sorry about the models pictures, but like I said the lighthouse by my pool (better known as St. Georges Light) is the only one I know of in the desert, and it does warn swimmers of the pools (mid) point. ;)

Keep em' comming. As you can see by the number of views there are a lot of people that like lighthouses. And all of the pictures (except for 2) so far have been spectacular, as well as being places we will probably never go.

They are truely a window to world-wide nautical history.

Bluedog
04-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I at one time had taken several photos of the famous Key West lighthouse but shortly afterward that evening my camera got stolen ... :mad:

EAP
04-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Wow. Thanks for those recent pictures EAP, Sarah, Rhys, sherlock, et-al. Sorry about the models pictures, but like I said the lighthouse by my pool (better known as St. Georges Light) is the only one I know of in the desert, and it does warn swimmers of the pools (mid) point. ;)

Awww, George, I think your models pictures are some of the best on the thread!! They get kudos for creatiity. ;)

D70FAN
04-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Awww, George, I think your models pictures are some of the best on the thread!! They get kudos for creatiity. ;)

Actually they were just place holders to give you photographers time to come up with those great shots.

Positive comments are always welcome. ;)

Edited for P.C. "guys/gals" replaced. ;)

EAP
04-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Located near San Luis Obispo, CA. To get there, you must make advance arrangements, as the lighthouse sits on private land owned by Pacific Gas & Electric, near the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant. You hike about 3.5 miles with a docent on a beautiful trail to the light. The photo was taken several years ago with a Minolta film camera, and scanned.

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Located near San Luis Obispo, CA. To get there, you must make advance arrangements, as the lighthouse sits on private land owned by Pacific Gas & Electric, near the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant. You hike about 3.5 miles with a docent on a beautiful trail to the light. The photo was taken several years ago with a Minolta film camera, and scanned.

Thanks EAP. For all the time I spent in Morro Bay, you would think that I would have visited this lighthouse. I certainly saw it enough when we were filling in for the Cape Hedge (our sister ship in Morro Bay).

EAP
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, it does take quite a commitment to go see this particular light! Sorry the photo is crooked, by the way...

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Well, it does take quite a commitment to go see this particular light! Sorry the photo is crooked, by the way...

The extra angle gives it an interesting character. You are supposed to say "buy shooting slightly off axis I was trying for a frontscape effect" or something like that.

Digideb
04-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, George, I finally made it up to Pt. Arena to capture one of the most beautiful lighthouses in America. Mother Nature was kind & gave me a "window of opportunity" between rains to take 70+ shots.
This is the most "Touristy" shot, but I have other less "common" views that I prefer. So, what do you think?
By the way, it's time for you to submit an Arizona lighthouse, now. :D

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, George, I finally made it up to Pt. Arena to capture one of the most beautiful lighthouses in America. Mother Nature was kind & gave me a "window of opportunity" between rains to take 70+ shots.
This is the most "Touristy" shot, but I have other less "common" views that I prefer. So, what do you think?

Absolutely fantastic! It shows why there is a lighthouse there. Those are some nasty looking rocks. I will do that with Point Pinos as well. Next time I'm home. Thanks Deb.

sherlock
04-07-2005, 08:18 PM

Hey,

Absolutely wonderful shot! I love the rock formations. Superb composition also. Very nice work.

Andrew S.

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM

It's going to be tough. St. Georges Light is rumored to be the only one here, but I will check (If you look back a few posts you will find St. Georges light). ;)

ricekiller2003
04-08-2005, 03:32 AM
Here's mine as per request. Taken at Ponce Inlet, Florida with a Canon Sd500. The camera was set to 'foliage mode', and this picture has not been edited whatsoever.

http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/19097879-L.jpg

mlythaby
04-08-2005, 04:50 AM
This was taken at night with A Nikon D70, 22mm, F3.3, 5 seconds. The camera was held steady on a stone wall.

D70FAN
04-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Here's mine as per request. Taken at Ponce Inlet, Florida with a Canon Sd500. The camera was set to 'foliage mode', and this picture has not been edited whatsoever.

Looking good... Thanks RK.

EAP
04-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Verrrry nice, Digideb! Well worth waiting for. I like the composition a lot. I'll be visiting a lighthouse this weekend....the pressure is on to find the most interesting composition!

Digideb
04-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks, again, everyone for your nice compliments. :) I enjoyed seeing the bright red lighthouse & getting lighthouse shots at night would be a really cool challenge.
I was particularly interested in your San Luis Obispo pic, EAP. I think it looks great & it sounds like more effort goes into just getting to it. But, you joked about it being "crooked" & that got me wondering about a strange effect I got on some of my Pt. Arena lighthouse shots.
When I took some of the closer shots & framed the lighthouse so that looked straight to me, the buildings in the background look crooked. This effect happened on about 5-6 shots. :confused: Is this a known effect or was I doing something wrong? I've submitted an example & I've down-sized it quite a bit, so I hope it'll come up small for easy viewing & assessment.
This reminded me of the old "House of Mystery" vortex sites I've visited where water flows uphill & nothing looks level. :eek:
I hope George & the rest of you don't mind me adding this while we wait for new pix that you all might get over the weekend. By the way, I took this pic with my Olympus C-60, just in Auto mode. :)

D70FAN
04-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks, again, everyone for your nice compliments. :) I enjoyed seeing the bright red lighthouse & getting lighthouse shots at night would be a really cool challenge.
I was particularly interested in your San Luis Obispo pic, EAP. I think it looks great & it sounds like more effort goes into just getting to it. But, you joked about it being "crooked" & that got me wondering about a strange effect I got on some of my Pt. Arena lighthouse shots.
When I took some of the closer shots & framed the lighthouse so that looked straight to me, the buildings in the background look crooked. This effect happened on about 5-6 shots. :confused: Is this a known effect or was I doing something wrong? I've submitted an example & I've down-sized it quite a bit, so I hope it'll come up small for easy viewing & assessment.
This reminded me of the old "House of Mystery" vortex sites I've visited where water flows uphill & nothing looks level.
I hope George & the rest of you don't mind me adding this while we wait for new pix that you all might get over the weekend. By the way, I took this pic with my Olympus C-60, just in Auto mode. :)

Not a problem. If it's a lighthouse then this is the place for it! Post away...

If the crooked houses were from wide angle shots then what you might be seeing is a little barrel distortion. There are Photshop plug-ins to fix it, but most times nobody notices, and in some cases it can add character to the picture. ;)

On to Bodega Bay...

EAP
04-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA. The Fresnel lens is still in use today, and the lighthouse is operated by the Coast Guard. In addition to the attached image, there are several more I really like on the following link:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/474688/1/19283325

EAP
04-09-2005, 06:47 PM
When I took some of the closer shots & framed the lighthouse so that looked straight to me, the buildings in the background look crooked. This effect happened on about 5-6 shots. :confused: Is this a known effect or was I doing something wrong?

Oh! I have this problem all the time! :mad: It drives me nuts. I discovered today that what I was doing before was lining up the bottom of the object in my shot with the bottom of the LCD screen. But, if the ground your subject is on is slanted in any way, your photo will look crooked. I paid attention to the top of the lighthouse with respect to the top of the LCD screen and got much better results today. A bunch were still crooked, but I got some keepers also.

D70FAN
04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA. The Fresnel lens is still in use today, and the lighthouse is operated by the Coast Guard.

Great! Thanks for that terrific shot.

All of the "lights" in the United States are still maintained by the Coast Guard, but they have all been automated, so no "keeper" is required. Only occasional maintenance of the light and the beacon(s). Many of the "lighthouses" are maintained by local historical societies, and paid for by donations and sales of lighthouse memorabilia.

Support your local lighthouse! :)

D70FAN
04-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA. The Fresnel lens is still in use today, and the lighthouse is operated by the Coast Guard. In addition to the attached image, there are several more I really like on the following link:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/474688/1/19283325

Just simply a great shot.

ricekiller2003
04-09-2005, 08:35 PM
This was from my trip to St Augustine today :D

http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/19275271-L.jpg

http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/19275269-L.jpg

D70FAN
04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
This was from my trip to St Augustine today :D

Bravo RK. Any information on the light? Age, wieght, interests? ;)

Camera info as well (if possible).

EAP
04-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Where is St. Augustine?

ricekiller2003
04-09-2005, 09:36 PM
St Augustine is in Florida, taken with a Canon Sd500.

Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 1/200s
White Balance: Manual

23 years old...graduating in Aerospace Engineering this semester and commissioning as a second lieutenant...have 3 cats...one of them likes ham...that is all about me.

http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/19292122-L.jpg

D70FAN
04-10-2005, 09:05 AM
St Augustine is in Florida, taken with a Canon Sd500.

Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 1/200s
White Balance: Manual

23 years old...graduating in Aerospace Engineering this semester and commissioning as a second lieutenant...have 3 cats...one of them likes ham...that is all about me.

Sorry, I was trying to be humorous, and get some history on the light, but thanks for sharing your personal profile as well. I assume the commission is Air Force(?)... The cat I assume is leaning toward the Marines or Navy... ;) Ham...

Anyway, cool all the way around.

Rhys
04-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Hmm. How far from the castle is the lighthouse in st Augustine? I was going to do that lighthouse myself while I'm on my honeymoon there (in about 2 weeks time).

Rhys
04-10-2005, 10:55 AM
This is the Helwick - a mobile lighthouse (a lightship).

Camera: Nikon 995. f6.7, 1/340, iso 100, 8mm focal length.

Exposure taken 12/oct/2002

This lightship is now a museum after many years service and is located in Swansea marina, South Wales.

speaklightly
04-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Rhys-

Thanks for reminding me. The attached photo was taken near the entrance to the Stockholm harbor in May 2003 back in the old Canon S-40 days.

Sarah Joyce

ricekiller2003
04-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Hmm. How far from the castle is the lighthouse in st Augustine? I was going to do that lighthouse myself while I'm on my honeymoon there (in about 2 weeks time).

Not too far...sorry I don't know the exact streetnames, but take the road that has the Castle on it down a couple blocks to a drawbridge.

The castle should be on the lefthand side of the road if you're going the correct way to the bridge. Make a left onto the bridge and follow the road until you see "Lighthouse Road". Make a left onto lighthouse road and it will take you through a windy neighborhood to the lighthouse and museum. Probably about 3 or 4 miles away if you're interested.

Go in the morning, because the sun will be in the way in the evening...unless you want to use that effect. Hope this helps!

Sea_Slug
04-16-2005, 02:36 PM
A little underexposed I know but I liked the shape! Smeaton Lighthouse, plymouth, UK.

speaklightly
04-16-2005, 07:50 PM
SeaSlug-

Even though it might be a bit under exposed, I really like it a lot. Thanks for posting a great photo.

Sarah Joyce

gary_hendricks
04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
My contributon to this thread ... lighthouse from France (can't recall the name of the place) ;)

http://gallery.greatestjournal.com/albums/up3/873/891873/Image011%7E0.jpg

Geoff Chandler
04-19-2005, 02:44 AM
If you screw your eyes tightly you'll spot mine in the distance.
Guernsey 1989

Geoff Chandler
04-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Here it is again with a Tamron 80-210 & starburst
1989 - so no, I don't remember the details sorry

Rhys
04-19-2005, 06:00 AM
My contributon to this thread ... lighthouse from France (can't recall the name of the place) ;)

Now that looks like it could be Calais. Does that ring a bell?

Digideb
04-19-2005, 11:37 AM
So many great lighthouse pix! I like the sky colors on the last two. I hope this thread keeps going until every lighthouse is represented. :)

D70FAN
04-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Here it is again with a Tamron 80-210 & starburst
1989 - so no, I don't remember the details sorry

Nice shot Geoff. The starburst added a nice touch. Kind of a when-you-wish-upon-a-star look.

Geoff Chandler
04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks George. I still have the filters - so I might hang on to them for the A-200. I will be selling the OM2 though & all the other SLR stuff. Sad - but sometimes we have to move on.

Rhys
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks George. I still have the filters - so I might hang on to them for the A-200. I will be selling the OM2 though & all the other SLR stuff. Sad - but sometimes we have to move on.

Oddly enough, I'm hanging onto my Nikon manual kit. It's lost so much in value since digital came out that I'm keeping it for antique value. I have a feeling that since so many people are simply throwing their manual kit in the trashcans that the value will rapidly escalate. Also, there will be periodic revivals such as the current revival in pinhole photography.

D70FAN
04-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Oddly enough, I'm hanging onto my Nikon manual kit. It's lost so much in value since digital came out that I'm keeping it for antique value. I have a feeling that since so many people are simply throwing their manual kit in the trashcans that the value will rapidly escalate. Also, there will be periodic revivals such as the current revival in pinhole photography.

You know that's true, I might just take advantage of this situation since I still use my FE once in a while.

Ray Schnoor
04-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Here is a small lighthouse off the coast of Plymouth, MA, from a whale watch we went on last weekend.

Ray.

EAP
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Excellent! Do you know the name of the lighthouse?

Ray Schnoor
04-25-2005, 06:44 PM
I have no idea, but will try to find out. On the way back in, the same lighthouse had a gray strip under and just as wide as the red strip due to low tide. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a photo.

Here is another from the same trip.

Ray.

EAP
04-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Here it is...called "Bug Light," or more formally, the Duxbury Pier Lighthouse. There's a "Bug Light" in Maine, too...

http://www.lighthouse.cc/duxbury/index.html

D70FAN
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Here it is...called "Bug Light," or more formally, the Duxbury Pier Lighthouse. There's a "Bug Light" in Maine, too...

http://www.lighthouse.cc/duxbury/index.html

Now that...my friends.. is a cool lighthouse.

Thanks guys.

Sigbhu
04-27-2005, 10:13 PM
cape otway lighthouse, australia.

D70FAN
04-29-2005, 03:30 PM
cape otway lighthouse, australia.

You could have added that this is the most "significant" lighthouse in Austrailia, and located along the Great Ocean Road on the coast of Victoria in Southeast Australia (Melbourne). I cheated and looked it up... :D

Looking at the web site it seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Or maybe... where nowhere ends. But mighty purdy.

Thanks Sigbhu, any camera info? You can add it by editing the existing post.

Nice shot.

judge9847
05-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Trinity House is the organisation responsible for maintaining all lighthouses in the United Kingdom (and Gibralter I think). It built its first lighthouse at Lowestoft in 1609 though not on the site of this one. Lowestoft is the most easterly point in the UK.

The light isn't easy to photograph from the land because it's set into quite a steep cliff. The best way is to go out to sea and photograph from there though I didn't have the chance to do that. If you'd like to see a view of the lighthouse from the sea, click here. (http://www.cus.org.uk/~discjirm/walks/walk_pics/Digital/20021107/HTML/P2002B070017.html)

This is the best that I could do. Taken with a Panasonic FZ10 in mid-April 2005.

judge9847
05-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Amazingly to me, the lighthouse at Southwold is in the town itself as opposed to being on the coast and without doubt, the best place to see it completely would be from the air!

I couldn't get further away from it because other buildings then became visible - notably the near-by pub! This is the best I could do. Taken with a Panasonic FZ10 in mid-April 2005

D70FAN
05-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Trinity House is the organisation responsible for maintaining all lighthouses in the United Kingdom (and Gibralter I think). It built its first lighthouse at Lowestoft in 1609 though not on the site of this one. Lowestoft is the most easterly point in the UK.

The light isn't easy to photograph from the land because it's set into quite a steep cliff. The best way is to go out to sea and photograph from there though I didn't have the chance to do that. If you'd like to see a view of the lighthouse from the sea, click here.[/URL]

This is the best that I could do. Taken with a Panasonic FZ10 in mid-April 2005.

The one great thing about having a long lens is that you can take pictures like this one. Very nice. Risking life and limb is not required to get a good shot. Thanks.

judge9847
05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I've been a-travelling.

This is North Head Lighthouse in Washington State and is very close to the Cape Disapointment Lighthouse which I didn't have time to get to. It's a fabulous view across the Pacific Ocean and to stand and watch the waves smash on to the rocks was quite something.

"After Cape Disapointment Lightstation was established in 1856 to mark the entrance to the Columbia River, mariners approaching the river from the north complained they could not see the light until they had nearly reached the river. Their cry for an additional lighthouse was supported by the many shipwrecks, which occurred along the Long Beach Peninsula, just north of the cape.

Construction of North Head Lighthouse began in 1896. The tower is brick masonry with a cement plaster overlay built on a sandstone foundation. Since the light is only two miles north of Cape Disappointment, North Head needed a distinct signature. North Head shone a fixed white light, while Cape Disappointment alternated red and white flashes.

North Head is one of the windiest places in the United States. On January 29, 1921, winds were clocked at 126 mph before the instrument blew away. They have frequently been measured at over 100 mph." (Text from Lighthousefriends.com)

D70FAN
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Amazingly to me, the lighthouse at Southwold is in the town itself as opposed to being on the coast and without doubt, the best place to see it completely would be from the air!

I couldn't get further away from it because other buildings then became visible - notably the near-by pub! This is the best I could do. Taken with a Panasonic FZ10 in mid-April 2005

I wonder if it keeps the residents awake...flash....flash....flash. Is there a fog horn as well? Now we know what the pub is for.

D70FAN
05-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I've been a-travelling.

This is North Head Lighthouse in Washington State and is very close to the Cape Disapointment Lighthouse which I didn't have time to get to. It's a fabulous view across the Pacific Ocean and to stand and watch the waves smash on to the rocks was quite something.

"After Cape Disapointment Lightstation was established in 1856 to mark the entrance to the Columbia River, mariners approaching the river from the north complained they could not see the light until they had nearly reached the river. Their cry for an additional lighthouse was supported by the many shipwrecks, which occurred along the Long Beach Peninsula, just north of the cape.

Construction of North Head Lighthouse began in 1896. The tower is brick masonry with a cement plaster overlay built on a sandstone foundation. Since the light is only two miles north of Cape Disappointment, North Head needed a distinct signature. North Head shone a fixed white light, while Cape Disappointment alternated red and white flashes.

North Head is one of the windiest places in the United States. On January 29, 1921, winds were clocked at 126 mph before the instrument blew away. They have frequently been measured at over 100 mph." (Text from Lighthousefriends.com)

I think this one is a favorite already. Nice picture. The wind explains the absence of tall trees and a flag pole. ;)

EAP
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
I've been a-travelling.

Hey, I've been there! Have a picture of me in front of it. Not nearly as good as yours, though! :)

judge9847
05-10-2005, 04:57 PM
You're too kind. If there is anything special about the photo it's down to the fact that I was inspired by the scenery and the company I was in! Good recipe for a photo session I reckon! But thanks again!

Fat Bloke
05-14-2005, 02:52 PM
This is the Old Lighthouse on Portland Bill.

http://www.apwf08.dsl.pipex.com/p2.jpg

Camera is a Olympus C-2100

D70FAN
05-14-2005, 08:51 PM
This is the Old Lighthouse on Portland Bill.

Very nice shot. Any camera info? You can add it by editing the original.

speaklightly
05-24-2005, 05:08 PM
George-

I dropped by this home today, thinking you might be there, but unfortunately you were not home. Pentax 1stDS ISO 1600 F 13.9 at 1/1500th. I used a high ISO because I was using a new Sigma 28-300mm lens and I wanted a high shutter speed and small aperature. This is not the greatest lens, but it is reasonable and I will need a long zoom for our China trip which begins tomorrow. We will be back around June 20th.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
05-24-2005, 05:43 PM
George-

I dropped by this home today, thinking you might be there, but unfortunately you were not home. Pentax 1stDS ISO 1600 F 13.9 at 1/1500th. I used a high ISO because I was using a new Sigma 28-300mm lens and I wanted a high shutter speed and small aperature. This is not the greatest lens, but it is reasonable and I will need a long zoom for our China trip which begins tomorrow. We will be back around June 20th.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks Sarah,

I'll take that house! Any additional info on that lens? Where are you going in China? I'll probably be going (business) again in September.

Have a great trip.

speaklightly
05-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi George-

It is the usual drill: Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, and 8 days on the Yangtze on a cruise, 21 day in all. It should be fun and it will be the first time we have been booked on a land/river cruise. We leave tomorrow and will be back around 6/20.

George, this actually a private residence. The guy just loved lighthouses. That is why I call it "George's House."

Take care, and I will log on again around 6/20.

Sarah Joyce

Jiayaw
05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Lighthouse park in West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada... took this during a biology field trip. http://img276.echo.cx/img276/5342/img9366copy1xb.jpg

maniax
06-05-2005, 07:35 AM
B&W Lighthouse

D70FAN
06-05-2005, 08:36 AM
B&W Lighthouse

Nice shot.

Any idea of where this is? Any closer shots of the lighthouse?

D70FAN
06-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Lighthouse park in West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada... took this during a biology field trip.

Thanks for posting this. Nice shot. Any camera or settings info?

Jiayaw
06-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks for posting this. Nice shot. Any camera or settings info?

yes heres the exif data
File Name
IMG_9359.JPG
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot A80
Shooting Date/Time
24/05/2005 11:35:25 AM
Shooting Mode
Aperture-Priority AE
Photo Effect
Off
Tv (Shutter Speed)
1/800
Av (Aperture Value)
Light Metering
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
-1/3
ISO Speed
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
23.4mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
2272x1704
Image Quality
Superfine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Day Light
AF Mode
Single AF
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
1697KB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name
Yoko Dam

ReValveiT
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Here's the one at Scarborough taken a couple of weeks back. Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

http://www.dtsabers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/pics/lighthouse.JPG

50mm
f/8
1/400 sec.
ISO 100

D70FAN
06-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Here's the one at Scarborough taken a couple of weeks back. Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

50mm
f/8
1/400 sec.
ISO 100

Add another great shot to the collection. Definately different...in a good way.

EAP
06-07-2005, 01:28 PM
This lighthouse sits about 25 miles south of San Francisco, and the keeper's quarters are now a youth hostel. I peeked into the common room, and it's quite nice. A gaggle of Girl Scouts was moving in for a stay while I was there...

D70FAN
06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
This lighthouse sits about 25 miles south of San Francisco, and the keeper's quarters are now a youth hostel. I peeked into the common room, and it's quite nice. A gaggle of Girl Scouts was moving in for a stay while I was there...

EAP, Thanks for this shot! Point Montera is not one of the better known lights on the SF Peninsula (like Pidgeon Point in Santa Cruz).

D70FAN
06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Here is a page with several lighthouse photos. Although I prefer our local contributors shots, this is a pretty nice compilation...

http://www.ecology.org/ecophoto/Lighthouses/LightMain.html

EAP
06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
A very nice compilation. Here's my shot of the Point Bonita Lighthouse, which I also visited this past weekend. Same angle as in the compilation! :p It was so windy that they closed the suspension bridge to the light; my friend and I were among the last to go over.

D70FAN
06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
A very nice compilation. Here's my shot of the Point Bonita Lighthouse, which I also visited this past weekend. Same angle as in the compilation! :p It was so windy that they closed the suspension bridge to the light; my friend and I were among the last to go over.

Great shot! Bonita is one of my favorites, mainly due to the bridge. Makes this lighthouse pretty unique.

Thanks.

EAP
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Here are a couple of shots of the Fort Point Light. Fort Point sits directly underneath the Golden Gate Bridge on the San Francisco side of the bay, and was completed toward the end of the civil war. It contained 126 cannon to protect the entrance to the bay. The white arch above the light in the one photo is the underside of the bridge where it connects with the bluff. The light was one of 13 that once served San Francisco Bay. It was first built in 1853 and then torn down the same year, to allow construction of the Fort. The light in the photo was built in 1864. it has been inoperable since 1934, when the bridge was built.

EAP
06-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Second shot of the Fort Point Light...

D70FAN
06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Second shot of the Fort Point Light...

EAP thanks a lot. For both the pictures and the history. I always forget about this one. Any shots of the Alcatraz light? Again, great shots.

EAP
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
No, didn't get to Alcatraz on this trip. Maybe next time! Although, going over there during summer is quite an ordeal; you need boat reservations way in advance. Perhaps my best bet is to try to paddle over in a kayak......Anyone else have Alcatraz shots?

I also want to shoot East Brother; just need a good excuse to spend the $$ to stay there, as it is now a B&B.....

D70FAN
06-08-2005, 02:49 PM
No, didn't get to Alcatraz on this trip. Maybe next time! Although, going over there during summer is quite an ordeal; you need boat reservations way in advance. Perhaps my best bet is to try to paddle over in a kayak......Anyone else have Alcatraz shots?

I also want to shoot East Brother; just need a good excuse to spend the $$ to stay there, as it is now a B&B.....

Red and White and Hornblower used to cruise over that direction (without stopping). Close enough to get some good shots with a 125+mm lens. Unfortunately, the last time I went over there I was shooting film and was about a roll short by the time we got there.

You could probably shoot it from the GG Bridge, but you would need a pretty long lens.

East Brother is very cool. Even if you don't stay there. It's one of those places I kept saying I need to shoot. Now it's not in my back yard anymore. Instead I have this big hole in the ground with a river flowing down the middle... still an interesting shoot, but no light houses. ;)

EAP
06-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Well, my problem is that I don't just photograph the lighthouse when I visit; I also need to get the stamp for my US Lighthouse Society passport! So, I need to actually VISIT the place, can't just do a "float by." :rolleyes:

D70FAN
06-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Well, my problem is that I don't just photograph the lighthouse when I visit; I also need to get the stamp for my US Lighthouse Society passport! So, I need to actually VISIT the place, can't just do a "float by." :rolleyes:

Ah!

Didn't know there was such a thing. How do you join said Society. As an ex-lightkeeper and tour-guide (of sorts) at Point Pinos this sounds interesting.

EAP
06-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Here's the link to the US Lighthouse Society website:

http://www.uslhs.org/

Enjoy!

D70FAN
06-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Here's the link to the US Lighthouse Society website:

http://www.uslhs.org/

Enjoy!

Many thanks!

explorer
06-10-2005, 06:56 AM
is this a lighthouse?...or a guardhouse?

http://www.pbase.com/explorer/image/43667271.jpg

D70FAN
06-10-2005, 07:11 AM
is this a lighthouse?...or a guardhouse?

Nice picture, but unless the guy has a really strong flashlight...

EAP
06-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's an outhouse.... :D Nice photo, whatever it is!

explorer
06-12-2005, 11:24 PM
this time, it's a real lighthouse! :D

http://www.pbase.com/explorer/image/39609172.jpg

EAP
06-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Wow, that's a very unusual-looking lighthouse. Where is it?

explorer
06-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Wow, that's a very unusual-looking lighthouse. Where is it?

it's in one pier in one of the islands in my country (philippines) :D

here's another version of guardhouse that also serves as a light house...

http://www.pbase.com/explorer/image/43667268.jpg

phistio
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
terrible picture, i know...but the only one i have on the subject matter. it's just off the end of Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. this was from a series of first/learning shots with this camera when i bought it 3 years ago. the digital zoom really distorted the image as much noise can be seen.

shot in Normal Program Mode, handheld, 1/80th sec., f/2.8, ISO- 200, @46.8mm
http://www.digitalwraith.com/images/phistio/photos/nplighthouse.jpg

EAP
06-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Noise notwithstanding, I think it's a nicely composed shot. And the subject matter is great!

D70FAN
06-20-2005, 04:36 PM
terrible picture, i know...but the only one i have on the subect matter. it's just off the end of Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. this was from a seies of first/learning shots with this camera when i bought it 3 years ago. the digital zoom really distorted the image as much noise can be seen.

shot in Normal Program Mode, handheld, 1/80th sec., f/2.8, ISO- 200, @46.8mm

I would be willing to bet that printed at 8 x 10 it would look just fine.

Many thanks for this shot.

phistio
06-20-2005, 04:44 PM
thanks for the kind words...and perhaps i'm my own worst critic...however, i think quite a bit of manipulation would have to be made in order for it to look good as an 8x10.

but i'm glad you like it. ;)

John_Reed
06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks for the kind words...and perhaps i'm my own worst critic...however, i think quite a bit of manipulation would have to be made in order for it to look good as an 8x10.

but i'm glad you like it. ;)I think it's a good photo of the lighthouse, if you were taking a photo for a newspaper. And I agree that it would probably print fine at any normal print size. But, and this is my opinion, I don't like compositions where the center of interest is in the center of the photo, with nothing else around to grab the eye. This reflects my learning of the "Golden Mean" principle, which says that your subject should be at a point 1/3 in from one of the sides of the photo, both vertically and horizontally. If you ever watch a movie, you may notice that they apply this principle liberally with subjects; unless you're looking at a real closeup of someone's eyeball, you'll generally see subjects tending to the "Golden Mean." I think your lighthouse photo would really be cool if the light itself was more obscured by fog, and the light was beaming out through the mist...

phistio
06-21-2005, 01:38 PM
thanks for the kind words. and i'm in total agreeance with you, had i used the "rule of thirds" i think it would have made for a much better picture in terms of compostion. ;) thanks again!

glennaa
06-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Here's one I took about a month ago - the Faro Les Eclaireurs lighthouse in the Beagle channel near Ushuaia, Argentina.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/ushuaia/faro.jpg

I also did a panorama of it and the beagle channel. I mainly use a Canon G5, but the battery had died, so both of these were done with my pocket camera - a Canon A400.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/ushuaia/beagle.jpg

John_Reed
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
I've seen the Beagle Channel and Ushuaia - Very beautiful scenery around there. Were you on your way to Antarctica? Very nice Light House photo!

glennaa
06-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Taken about a week ago in Colonia Uruguay - A lighthouse built into the ruins of a convent.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/Uruguay/lighthouse.jpg

glennaa
06-21-2005, 07:16 PM
I've seen the Beagle Channel and Ushuaia - Very beautiful scenery around there. Were you on your way to Antarctica? Very nice Light House photo!

No, I had been working in Northern Patagonia, and after the job ended, took a month off to travel. I wanted to go to Antarctica, but it's hard to get there this time of year. I'll have to go back, since I would like to go there, maybe combine it with a trip to the Falklands.

D70FAN
06-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Taken about a week ago in Colonia Uruguay - A lighthouse built into the ruins of a convent.

Many thanks for those great shots. Not too many of us seem to get that far South (especially the first shot in Argentina). Keep them comming.

John_Reed
06-22-2005, 07:30 AM
No, I had been working in Northern Patagonia, and after the job ended, took a month off to travel. I wanted to go to Antarctica, but it's hard to get there this time of year. I'll have to go back, since I would like to go there, maybe combine it with a trip to the Falklands.Er, don't you mean the "Malvinas?" ;)

Keep your shots coming, as George said. Good stuff!

Rhys
06-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Er, don't you mean the "Malvinas?" ;)

Lol. Mrs Thatcher would have you for breakfast for incinuating that the Falklands are anything but British territory. Having said that, Britain's defences are now so poor that Britain couldn't muster enough soldiers, sailors and aircrew to retake the Falklands if Argentina re-invaded.

glennaa
06-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Many thanks for those great shots. Not too many of us seem to get that far South (especially the first shot in Argentina). Keep them comming.

Thanks. I was in Argentina on and off for 16 months, but it was only in the last month that I got to travel around.

Here's one more lighthouse - it's actually a replica of the lighthouse on Isla de Los Estados, the true southernmost lighthouse in Argentina. It's in the yard of the old prison in Ushuaia.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/ushuaia/prisonlhs.jpg

As part of a panorama:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/ushuaia/prisonsmall.jpg

glennaa
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Er, don't you mean the "Malvinas?" ;)

Well, the occupants don't think so! :) Actually, even the towns have different names (Puerto Argentino for Port Stanley, etc). I'm just following the standard of history - "he who wins gets the naming rights!"

Glenn

Jiayaw
06-23-2005, 12:21 AM
I think it's a good photo of the lighthouse, if you were taking a photo for a newspaper. And I agree that it would probably print fine at any normal print size. But, and this is my opinion, I don't like compositions where the center of interest is in the center of the photo, with nothing else around to grab the eye. This reflects my learning of the "Golden Mean" principle, which says that your subject should be at a point 1/3 in from one of the sides of the photo, both vertically and horizontally. If you ever watch a movie, you may notice that they apply this principle liberally with subjects; unless you're looking at a real closeup of someone's eyeball, you'll generally see subjects tending to the "Golden Mean." I think your lighthouse photo would really be cool if the light itself was more obscured by fog, and the light was beaming out through the mist...

Golden mean = rule of third right? Just wanna make sure :)

explorer
07-01-2005, 04:59 AM
light post in a pier that also serves as the lighthouse?

http://www.pbase.com/explorer/image/43659187.jpg

rinume
07-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Here's a closer look at the Chicago Navy Pier light house. Most probably the only light house pic I'll be posting. Oh well.

Taken with Olympus 460Z (now sold)

D70FAN
07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Here's a closer look at the Chicago Navy Pier light house. Most probably the only light house pic I'll be posting. Oh well.

Taken with Olympus 460Z (now sold)

We do accept creativity... ;)

bladerunner.nl
07-04-2005, 06:13 AM
First lighthouse I ran up to with my FujiFilm F10.

Name: Westhoofd
Number: B 0518 (0692)
Place: Ouddorp, the Netherlands 5148.800' N 351.900' E
Height: 56mtr

http://www.bladerunner.nl/lighthouse.jpg

Richard

D70FAN
07-05-2005, 10:39 AM
First lighthouse I ran up to with my FujiFilm F10.

Richard

Richard, any more info on this lighthouse? Name? Location?

Thanks.

bladerunner.nl
07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Richard, any more info on this lighthouse? Name? Location?

Thanks.

George, I just updated.

Thanks
Richard

D70FAN
07-05-2005, 04:38 PM
George, I just updated.

Thanks
Richard

Many thanks. You never know when I might be in Holland. ;)

Alnath
07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Flamborough Head Near Bridlington East Yorkshire taken with a Canon A20 :eek:

D70FAN
07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Flamborough Head Near Bridlington East Yorkshire taken with a Canon A20 :eek:

A very nice shot. Camera doesn't matter. ;)

glennaa
07-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse, Western Australia
Taken Sept. 2001 with a Nikon Coolpix E800

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/naturalist.jpg

glennaa
07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Vlaming Head Lighthouse, North of Exmouth, Western Australia
Nikon Coolpix E800, Sept 2001

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/vlaming.jpg

glennaa
07-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Split Point Lighthouse, Victoria Australia
Coolpix E800, Oct. 2001

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/glennaa/splitpoint.jpg

EAP
07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Great shots Glennaa, Alnath, Bladerunner and rinume! I've been off the boards for awhile and it's been great to come back and see these nice photos. :)

D70FAN
07-11-2005, 11:27 PM
I second those thanks from EAP!

Great to have all of those unique and well photographed lights. :)

meillana
07-12-2005, 04:23 AM
real great shots indeed!
my humble contribution from a humble sony dsc-p10
(dont know the name but its enroute to sta. catalina island)
kindly excuse the smudges, obviously a dirty lens...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/meillana/Sony%20DSC-P10/DSC03522.jpg

D70FAN
07-12-2005, 09:21 AM
real great shots indeed!
[/IMG]

Thanks for your very nice picture. Get rid of the smudge and it's a framer.

The Sony did a fine job, as did the shooter.

meillana
07-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks for your very nice picture. Get rid of the smudge and it's a framer.

The Sony did a fine job, as did the shooter.

thanks mate.

jeisner
07-13-2005, 02:38 AM
http://i.pbase.com/v3/79/522179/1/46143372.imgp4196.jpg

Idnas71
07-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Jeisner... where is that located? Love it!

Thanks,
Sandi

EAP
07-13-2005, 02:35 PM
real great shots indeed!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/meillana/Sony%20DSC-P10/DSC03522.jpg

That's the Angels' Gate Lighthouse that marks the entry to the Port of Los Angeles. Here's some trivia from the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce:

The lighthouse is so well-constructed that, after a five-day storm in 1939 sent violent seas smashing into the building, the 73-foot Romanesque tower leaned slightly toward shore, but still stood defiantly, as it does to this day. The lighthouse was automated in 1973, thus eliminating the need for keepers.

The two note blast of its foghorn every thirty seconds is a familiar sound to local residents. Mariners entering Angel's Gate are guided by the lighthouse's rotating green light. Whenever a deep sea vessel arrives on her maiden voyage in Los Angeles Harbor, the master is presented with a plaque etched with the likeness of the light, an official greeting from the City of Los Angeles, and the lighthouse that watches over the entrance to her harbor.

jeisner
07-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Jeisner... where is that located? Love it!

Thanks,
Sandi

Its in Sydney Australia, more precisely Christison Park in Vaucluse..

meillana
07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
That's the Angels' Gate Lighthouse that marks the entry to the Port of Los Angeles. Here's some trivia from the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce:

The lighthouse is so well-constructed that, after a five-day storm in 1939 sent violent seas smashing into the building, the 73-foot Romanesque tower leaned slightly toward shore, but still stood defiantly, as it does to this day. The lighthouse was automated in 1973, thus eliminating the need for keepers.

The two note blast of its foghorn every thirty seconds is a familiar sound to local residents. Mariners entering Angel's Gate are guided by the lighthouse's rotating green light. Whenever a deep sea vessel arrives on her maiden voyage in Los Angeles Harbor, the master is presented with a plaque etched with the likeness of the light, an official greeting from the City of Los Angeles, and the lighthouse that watches over the entrance to her harbor.

that's a great piece of trivia there.... so now i finally have a name to that lighthouse shot! thanks.

Jonathan
07-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Pictures taken from last week's vacation.

Currituck Lt, in Corolla, NC Fast approaching storm cancelled the climb to the top right as we entered. :(

Nikon D70, 18-70mm lens

Jonathan
07-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Bodie Island Lt, Oregon Inlet, NC

Nikon D70, 18-70mm lens. Not open for climbing.

Jonathan
07-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Located in Buxton NC. Moved approx 2600 ft inland in 1999. My first climb since before the move.

Nikon D70, 70-300mm lens

Jonathan
07-16-2005, 07:52 AM
More pics of the Hatteras Lt.

D70FAN
07-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Really great shots. And thanks for the history on some of these. Cape Hatteras is a really famous light due to the tumultuous weather and sea/current conditions in the area. When I was stationed in Norfolk we used to take bets on what the sea conditions would be when we passed through the area. It could get unbelievabley rough in a very short time.

Thanks again for the coast to coast coverage. Keep em coming. :)

Cold Snail
07-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Beachy Head, Sussex, UK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/ctMedium.jpg

A favourite spot for the suicidal as there is nothing to stop you falling off a cliff (or for the cliff to give way underneath you).
Taken today with a Kodak DX7440.

D70FAN
07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Beachy Head, Sussex, UK.

A favourite spot for the suicidal as there is nothing to stop you falling off a cliff (or for the cliff to give way underneath you).
Taken today with a Kodak DX7440.

I'll bet that light is a heck of a spot to be in a storm. :eek:

Rachel Robbins.
07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Point Conception lighthouse, taken in 2001 on a sailing trip down the California coast, with my now disintegrating Olympus C2100 UZ:

http://home.comcast.net/~rmrshop/lighthouse010504.jpg

D70FAN
07-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Point Conception lighthouse, taken in 2001 on a sailing trip down the California coast, with my now disintegrating Olympus C2100 UZ:

Nice shot. Thanks for the rare ocean based shot. I have not had the time or tenacity to get permission to walk in, as it is quite a walk, but one of these days...

For those

For those seeking more info on Point Conception light and other lighthouses:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/

Rachel Robbins.
07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Nice shot. Thanks for the rare ocean based shot.

Thanks!

Sailing by is the way to go. :D

EAP
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Unless you're kayaking instead.. :p

Nice shot!

Rachel Robbins.
07-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Unless you're kayaking instead..

Nice shot!

I'd be happy to be kayaking as well, yes. Or rowing...

Thanks. :)

meillana
08-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Nice shot. Thanks for the rare ocean based shot. I have not had the time or tenacity to get permission to walk in, as it is quite a walk, but one of these days...

For those

For those seeking more info on Point Conception light and other lighthouses:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/

thanks for the link george, interesting site.

kuroneko
08-02-2005, 08:32 AM
http://images3.deviantart.com/i/2005/155/e/4/Red_Light_House___photo_ver_by_kucingitem.jpg

D70FAN
08-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Red Lighthouse

Kuroneko-san,

Ohayo gozaimasu. Sorry my Japanese is getting rusty already. Could you give us a little more information on this light?

Domo.

Alnath
08-02-2005, 12:23 PM
How about the bulb in a lighthouse?

A 1 Kilo watt beastie

Alnath
08-02-2005, 12:24 PM
The original Flamborough lighthouse from the top of the latest one

EAP
08-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Very nice, Alnath! Here's a picture of the third-order Fresnel lense in the Pt. Vicente lighthouse in Southern California.

hollidunn
08-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Here is the lighthouse at Cape Disapointment in Washington State, on a RARE, beautiful sunny day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/hollidunn/photographs/capedisappointmentlighthouse.jpg

D70FAN
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Here is the lighthouse at Cape Disapointment in Washington State, on a RARE, beautiful sunny day.

Certainly nothing disappointing about that shot! Very nice. Many thanks.

Bluedog
08-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Made it down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast today for my annual shrimp purchase for the freezer. So along the way took this image of the Biloxi Lighthouse that kinda tells its own story:

http://www.pbase.com/image/47991232.jpg

D70FAN
08-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Made it down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast today for my annual shrimp purchase for the freezer. So along the way took this image of the Biloxi Lighthouse that kinda tells its own story:

Now that's a framer... And probably a lighthouse that no one outside of Biloxi knows about.

Thanks for the wake up. ;)

Bluedog
08-22-2005, 11:10 PM
LOL ... thanks George ... wished I took the time and got a shot without the plaque but this is right on the Hwy 90.

D70FAN
08-22-2005, 11:39 PM
LOL ... thanks George ... wished I took the time and got a shot without the plaque but this is right on the Hwy 90.

I like it with the plaque as it kills 2 birds with one shot, adds a little color, and still frameable.

bklassen
08-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Beautiful pictures people! My pic was taken at Lighthouse Park, on the north side of the Burrard Inlet - the main inlet that Vancouver is situated on (Vancouver, BC). It's a beautiful hike around the local area; it's in fact a park. You can even see some of the skyscrapers of Vancouver in the far off distance between the two rocks. This is my first pic that I've posted on here, taken with my simple Pentax Optio S4 point and shoot :)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/bklassen/dba0095e.jpg

D70FAN
08-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Beautiful pictures people! My pic was taken at Lighthouse Park, on the north side of the Burrard Inlet - the main inlet that Vancouver is situated on (Vancouver, BC). It's a beautiful hike around the local area; it's in fact a park. You can even see some of the skyscrapers of Vancouver in the far off distance between the two rocks. This is my first pic that I've posted on here, taken with my simple Pentax Optio S4 point and shoot :)
[/img]

Definately a "framer" and a lighthouse that most of us are unlikely to visit.

Thanks for that wonderful contribution as your 4th post.

kuroneko
08-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Kuroneko-san,

Ohayo gozaimasu. Sorry my Japanese is getting rusty already. Could you give us a little more information on this light?

Domo.

what kind of information?
the exif? or the lighthouse itself..??

nihonggo de hanasemasuka? ;)

D70FAN
08-29-2005, 11:35 PM
what kind of information?
the exif? or the lighthouse itself..??

nihonggo de hanasemasuka? ;)

More on the lighthouse, kudesai. Basic camera and shot information is always a bonus.

I have got to get back to Yokohama. Maybe in October. A walk through Yamashita park and down the prominade into China Town...

...one of my favorite places to go on a sunny October day.

EAP
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
I spent a glorious week on Lopez Island in the San Juan Archipelago. Here's the Lime Kiln Point Lighthouse on nearby San Juan Island. It's a prime spot to see orcas...but unfortunately, not the day I was there.

D70FAN
08-31-2005, 07:36 AM
I spent a glorious week on Lopez Island in the San Juan Archipelago. Here's the Lime Kiln Point Lighthouse on nearby San Juan Island. It's a prime spot to see orcas...but unfortunately, not the day I was there.

An excellent shot as always. And another little-known, but certainly picturesque, lighthouse.

Bummer on the KW's, also one of my favorite mammals... at a distance. ;)

EAP
08-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks, George. Here's a not great shot of the Cattle Point lighthouse on San Juan Island, as seen from Lopez Island. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it over to see the lighthouse close-up. Take with a Panasonic FZ20 at full 12x zoom, into the sun.

D70FAN
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks, George. Here's a not great shot of the Cattle Point lighthouse on San Juan Island, as seen from Lopez Island. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it over to see the lighthouse close-up. Take with a Panasonic FZ20 at full 12x zoom, into the sun.

Still enough forground detail to make the shot interesting as is the sun reflections off the water. If you were shooting RAW you could tweek the land and lighthouse a tiny bit to pull out more detail. I normally don't goof around with other peoples pictures, but I've been using Nikon Capture recently and couldn't resist dehazing a little. ;)

EAP
08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't think the FZ20 shoots in RAW, does it? Anyhow, I'm not sure there was any way to get a good shoot at that time, shooting almost directly into the sun. Perhaps with filters and a DSLR?

EAP
08-31-2005, 11:38 AM
And here is the crowning glory from my trip... :D The light at Iceberg Point, south end of Lopez Island.

Glenn Kennedy
08-31-2005, 11:39 AM
If we weren't having thunder & lightning and pouring with rain outside (the joys of an Irish summer), I'd nip out and get a better photograph of this old lightship, moored (permanently) about 3 miles from where I live. Now a private club and bar, its days of shining are long since gone.

Some good shots on this thread. Must say I never thought of lighthouses as good subjects. Wrong again, Kennedy!!

EAP
08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Lightships are cool. I visited one permanently docked in Oakland, CA; there was a guided tour that explained all about the ship and how it was used. No photos, unfortunately. I liked yours!

D70FAN
08-31-2005, 12:27 PM
If we weren't having thunder & lightning and pouring with rain outside (the joys of an Irish summer), I'd nip out and get a better photograph of this old lightship, moored (permanently) about 3 miles from where I live. Now a private club and bar, its days of shining are long since gone.

Some good shots on this thread. Must say I never thought of lighthouses as good subjects. Wrong again, Kennedy!!

From an ex-swabbies point of view, making any sailing vessel into a bar is a natural progression, following an unwritten natural law. It preserves the historic value of the vessel and the people who imbibe. ;)

Lighthouses are generally in photogenic surroundings, have historic, romantic, and rustic appeal, change appearance and personality with the weather, and most are realtively easy to shoot.

Welcome Aboard...

D70FAN
08-31-2005, 12:35 PM
And here is the crowning glory from my trip... :D The light at Iceberg Point, south end of Lopez Island.

Now that is obscure. I wonder how they powered it before solar panels? It must be the one, year around, sunny spot, in Washington. :rolleyes:

Thanks for adding these to the thread.

Glenn Kennedy
08-31-2005, 01:23 PM
From an ex-swabbies point of view, making any sailing vessel into a bar is a natural progression, following an unwritten natural law. It preserves the historic value of the vessel and the people who imbibe. ;)

Lighthouses are generally in photogenic surroundings, have historic, romantic, and rustic appeal, change appearance and personality with the weather, and most are realtively easy to shoot.

Welcome Aboard...

Making anything into a bar is a perfectly natural progression, especially for someone with my country's reputation for fondness for the demon drink (hic). Even for landlubbers like me.

jamison55
08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Can I play? My last wedding was at a lighthouse in Central ME:

Canon 20D, Canon 17-40 f4L
http://www.pbase.com/jamisonwexlerphoto/image/48261299
http://www.pbase.com/jamisonwexlerphoto/image/48261301

Canon 10D, Canon 80-200 f2.8L
http://www.pbase.com/jamisonwexlerphoto/image/48261298

Sorry about the last two...the lighthouse is a little OOF :D

D70FAN
08-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Can I play? My last wedding was at a lighthouse in Central ME:

Canon 20D, Canon 17-40 f4L
http://www.pbase.com/jamisonwexlerphoto/image/48261299
http://www.pbase.com/jamisonwexlerphoto/image/48261301

Canon 10D, Canon 80-200 f2.8L
http://www.pbase.com/jamisonwexlerphoto/image/48261298

Sorry about the last two...the lighthouse is a little OOF :D

Yes even WP's are welcome aboard.

Jamie, some of your best to date. I'm willing to bet that the recipients were very pleased. The group shot on the bridge has got to be a winner. I have a feeling that had the lighthouse been in focus the couple would have been unhappy campers.

And there is just enough lighthouse to qualify. ;)

D70FAN
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Making anything into a bar is a perfectly natural progression, especially for someone with my country's reputation for fondness for the demon drink (hic). Even for landlubbers like me.

The perfect lead in to jamison55's contribution. Coincidentally similar to the fine Irish snake bite remedy that I take whenever I feel a "bite" is immenent. After all, one cannot be too careful out here in the desert.

Your tartan cousins to the North and and East, accross the Irish Sea, make some of my other favorite remedies for for bites from desert critters such as scorpions, and Gila Monsters. I find that these fine remedies also work best before being bitten. ;) (during, and after, and especially not-at-all, also works).

Geoff Chandler
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
I know I haven't posted much here - but it's an interesting thread none the less.
On my recent holiday in La Rochelle - we spotted they had a few unusual lighthouses - so here are a few of the pics: -

Geoff Chandler
09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
This one appears to be in the middle of town - it sincs up with the previous one - I guess they appear as one from the sea...

Geoff Chandler
09-06-2005, 11:25 PM
I think this shows clearer how it helps the boats??

Geoff Chandler
09-06-2005, 11:26 PM
& this one too

Geoff Chandler
09-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Finally a real old one over the other side of town
Bit out of focus I'm afraid as I was messin' with focus modes and didn't check at the time.

D70FAN
09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Wow, Geoff, thanks for those shots. Interesting how these lights are incorporated into the town, vs. being set out in a remote location. Nothing worse than a lonely French lighthouse keeper. ;)

Chilious
09-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Taken in Chicago.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Chilious/P1030600.jpg

D70FAN
09-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Taken in Chicago.

Nice shot. Any other info on the light? Would not be my choice of a place to spend the winter. ;)

tim11
09-26-2005, 11:39 PM
North Beach Wollongong (about 80km South of Sydney)

tim11
09-26-2005, 11:41 PM
The same lighthouse from different side.

D70FAN
09-27-2005, 06:57 AM
The same lighthouse from different side.

I just realized that it's been 35 years since I have been to Sydney. Maybe it's time for another visit.

Thanks for these pictures. I think this is the only lighthouse I have seen with cannon in the yard.

freedom1
09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Castle Hill Light, Newport, Rhode Island circa 1890

http://www.weetu.com/lighthouse.jpg

Goat Island Light Newport,Rhode Island circa 1824

http://www.weetu.com/goatlight.JPG

D70FAN
09-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Goat Island Light Newport,Rhode Island circa 1824...

... Rebuilt in 1842 as the original light was hard to read correctly due to condensation on the glass and actually caused a few vessels to run aground... :o

...thanks for the pictures of these two old lights. Gets me to read the history. ;)

I've never been to Rhode Island. Thanks again.

tim11
09-27-2005, 05:33 PM
I just realized that it's been 35 years since I have been to Sydney. Maybe it's time for another visit...............
1970? I was still a young boy and still living in a different country as it was on the verge of joining the Vietnam war on the losing side.
Anyway, if you were in Sydney in 1970, lots of things have been changed. But the sun and surf remain the same.

D70FAN
09-27-2005, 05:48 PM
1970? I was still a young boy and still living in a different country as it was on the verge of joining the Vietnam war on the losing side.
Anyway, if you were in Sydney in 1970, lots of things have been changed. But the sun and surf remain the same.

One of these days...

EAP
09-27-2005, 05:56 PM

Nice! I've not seen a lighthouse with cannon before!

EAP
09-27-2005, 05:57 PM

http://www.weetu.com/lighthouse.jpg

That's a cool lighthouse!!

eastbluffs
09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
That's a cool lighthouse!!Is that as close to the water as it appears?

Here's one too big to get much water in it. Long Beach, CA About a mile inside the harbor. I can imagine the big ships can see this from sea.

Ths whole place was designed to be photogenic with the lighthouse as the centerpiece.
http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37830193-L.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37835657-M.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37832353-M.jpg
http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37831825-M.jpg
http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37830658-M.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37831819-M.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37832350-M.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37831997-M.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37834740-M.jpg http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37831823-M.jpg

tim11
09-27-2005, 11:59 PM
eastbluffs> How did you post a few pictures in one single post and all are showing? Everytime I post more than one pic only the links are shown.

eastbluffs
09-28-2005, 12:06 AM
eastbluffs> How did you post a few pictures in one single post and all are showing? Everytime I post more than one pic only the links are shown.
I signed up on "smugmug.com" for about $30 a year to host photos. There are free ones too. They give an http address for each one, for example:
http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/37832353-M.jpg

PBASE is also very popular.

Then click the yellow icon with the little grey mountians above the Edit window when you compose a post. That brings up a pop-up window where you paste that address.

Smugmug (like most) pre-processes the photos and allows references that are sized for thumbnails, small, med., large, and original.

I create a single album just for forum posts, so I don't inadvertently delete down the road when I clean out other albums.

I haven't gotten around to creating too many other albums, but some day.

They allow unlimited space but do measure download activity. The limit is very large (like 2 geg per month). Since usually 800 x 600 72dpi are viewed, they are pretty small for each viewing.

They have a lot of album features. For $100/yr a pro can use it to publish photo samples and take orders from customers.

tim11
09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks. I like the cloud on the lighthouse (1st pic).

eastbluffs
09-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I like the cloud on the lighthouse (1st pic).
Thanks, Great clouds that day. We had thunderstorms all that night - I even got in a little freeway bender :(

These photos are all the JPEG Small ones I take along with the RAW. Didn't edit any, although the backlit lighthouse needs to be.

I had just stepped out of the aquarium and forgot the camera was on ISO 1600. How many times has that happened? Some day .... still not too bad though.

My work is considering using a pelican shot for a brochure on the next round. It would be blown up to poster size and wrapped around a large sample book, so the clouds make great fill. Maybe I'll even put it on the web site for our "Pelican Point" product line.

freedom1
09-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Is that as close to the water as it appears?

It's right on the edge
http://www.weetu.com/ch2.jpg

Notice the steps carved into the rocks. Story goes that the property owner of the land in back didn't let the keeper cross his land, so he had to come by boat.He later allowed it and a keeper's house was built in back.
It's now a Coast Guard Station.

eastbluffs
09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
It's right on the edge
http://www.weetu.com/ch2.jpg

Notice the steps carved into the rocks. Story goes that the property owner of the land in back didn't let the keeper cross his land, so he had to come by boat.He later allowed it and a keeper's house was built in back.
It's now a Coast Guard Station.
Amazing some huge storm hasn't smashed it to pieces. What a test of time.

Good shots!

snowrdr
10-02-2005, 10:00 AM
At the fog's edge; Tillamook Rock Lighthouse, Oregon coast.

http://www.pbase.com/image/50154952.jpg

EAP
10-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Awesome! Can you see this from shore, or were you on the water?

snowrdr
10-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Awesome! Can you see this from shore, or were you on the water?

That was from shore. The rock is out from the beach a bit. The fog was engulfing it before I could frame the picture better with a land reference.

You can't see the lighthouse in this picture, but this is where it's at... :D

Indian Beach (http://www.pbase.com/image/49884311.jpg)

D70FAN
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks Dave.

linux-works
10-08-2005, 11:43 PM
http://static.flickr.com/22/27373297_023cb55606_o.jpg

scanned from film (slide film, actually). camera was nikon f100, location was santa cruz, ca. I believe I was using an f2.8 80-200 nikkor, handheld.

it was one of my first scanning projects and also one of my first in shooting slide film.

D70FAN
10-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for that shot. I hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist reworking it a little with Noise Ninja and a touch of unsharp mask. Probably would be better with the original as once you recompress the file it looses a little in the translation.

I used to see this light every time I went to Santa Cruz to surf or just hang-out at the beach. This picture looks like before it was restored. For those who would like to visit its right at the end of Cliff Dr. on the south side of the river.

snaz
10-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Here is a light house no longer in use off of cape cod. Taken on a very overcast windy day. Wish the sky was a nice blue but it wasn't. Comments welcome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/nogutsnoglory89/IMG_1529.jpg

EAP
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
I like it, very unusual looking for a lighthouse; the bird captured in the pic is what makes this photo.

gilly
10-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Pics taken at Cape Byron lighthouse, Byron Bay Australia.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gilly81/Photogrphy/lighthouse.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/gilly81/Photogrphy/lighthouse2.jpg

New to photography so any comments are appreciated!

D70FAN
10-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Pics taken at Cape Byron lighthouse, Byron Bay Australia.

New to photography so any comments are appreciated!

Thanks Gilly. Good shots, and keep on posting them. I would have replied sooner but was on a very hectic biz trip to Europe for 10 days.

gilly
10-28-2005, 08:52 AM
thanks George!

D Thompson
10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Here is a light house no longer in use off of cape cod. Taken on a very overcast windy day. Wish the sky was a nice blue but it wasn't. Comments welcome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/nogutsnoglory89/IMG_1529.jpg
Nice shot. I hope you don't mind that I added a blue sky.

Thanks,

Cold Snail
10-30-2005, 03:36 AM
This was taken at Strumble Head in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales last week with my D70 and some 28mm lens. I hope that the 35mm slides (with more wide angle) will come out better.

D70FAN
10-30-2005, 06:27 AM
This was taken at Strumble Head in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales last week with my D70 and some 28mm lens. I hope that the 35mm slides (with more wide angle) will come out better.

A beautiful composition (as always). I was just in the UK last week, but unfortunately had little chance to shoot there except a few in Manchester near the hotel.

Looks like the 28 (Nikkor?) is a tad soft. What was the aperture setting?

Cold Snail
10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
A beautiful composition (as always). I was just in the UK last week, but unfortunately had little chance to shoot there except a few in Manchester near the hotel.

You missed out if you were stuck in Manchester, there are some nice sights, but you need to get out of the city.

Looks like the 28 (Nikkor?) is a tad soft. What was the aperture setting?

Sunny 16 rules applied, the problem was shooting straight into the wind, it was enough fun trying to stand up.
The full sized shot shows a sharp lighthouse, but everything else that wasn't set in concrete wasn't still enough for the slowish speed.
I have a feeling the Velvia shots may show even more movement.

D70FAN
10-31-2005, 06:41 AM
You missed out if you were stuck in Manchester, there are some nice sights, but you need to get out of the city.

Sunny 16 rules applied, the problem was shooting straight into the wind, it was enough fun trying to stand up.
The full sized shot shows a sharp lighthouse, but everything else that wasn't set in concrete wasn't still enough for the slowish speed.
I have a feeling the Velvia shots may show even more movement.

Actually I stayed at the Manchester Moat Hotel next to Styal Estate. A real nice area, but unfortunately it was pretty dark when I had a chance to walk the small river early in the morning. Also unfortunately I didn't bring my monopod on the trip. But here is one of the shots that turned out.

1/13 sec. HH. - f/4.5

D70FAN
11-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Normally I have the name and a brief history, but this was taken on a cloudy day, from a moving car (through the side window) on the way to Kobenhaven when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Sigma 18-125 at 125 and f7.1.

Since it was a business trip there was little time to stop. I got some nice shots in the Nyhaven area as I stayed there on Saturday including a couple of Lightships.

Update: This is the Sprogo Fyr (light) circa 1809, on the island of Sprogo on Storebaelt or the Great Danish Belt channel. The passage between the Sprogo Islands and Zealand Islands in Denmark, is the only way in/out of the Baltic Sea. There is a very large 6.8km bridge with a 2.7km suspension span just north of here which took the agreement of all the Baltic countries to allow Denmark to build.

Here is a link to the bridge.

http://www.lusas.com/case/bridge/storebaelt.html

D70FAN
11-10-2005, 04:37 PM
This is one of 2 Lightships tied up in Nyhaven, Copenhagen. Both have been converted to floating resturaunts. Didn't have a chance to try the food, but if it's as good as the other returaunts in the area then it is very good indeed.

I'll post the other shot(s) as well.

Paul_C
11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I finally finished getting my online gallery together of the shots I got of Pigeon Point Light Station a couple weeks back.
Comments and criticisms greatly appreciated -
http://www.beingeaten.com/pigeon-point/

Here's a sample:
Lantern Room (http://www.beingeaten.com/pigeon-point/P1080345.jpg.html)

D70FAN
11-17-2005, 11:59 AM
An excellent collection. Several shots in the series are "framers" and would look good printed at 11 x 14...

I helped tow a lot of Albacore fishermen past that light when I was on the Cape Wash (95 ft. SAR boat) in the mid 70's.

Looks like the Lighthouse Society could use some help with painting and upkeep.

explorer
11-23-2005, 12:46 PM
http://www.pbase.com/explorer/image/52651700.jpg

D70FAN
12-14-2005, 02:12 PM
It has been a while. Thanks Explorer. sorry I hven't checked this for a while. Could you give us the location?

sherlock
01-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey,

I have come to revive this thread that I enjoyed so much! :D Cape May lighthouse, Cape May, NJ. Fuji 3800.

Andrew

Prospero
01-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Here's a picture of a lighthouse on Capri.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dolkens/pictures/lighthouse.jpg

D70FAN
01-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Many thanks, to both, for posting those. It has been a while.

D70FAN
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
This may be fudging a little, but it is on topic. Here is a great collection of lighthouse models I wandered across in Copenhagen. The actual orange striped lighthouse Sprogo Fyr (bottom center) is posted one page back.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5964&page=24

ttebroc22
03-24-2006, 04:37 PM
I found this lighthouse on the east coast of Barbados. The shot was taken w/ a Sony T-1...nothing fancy

D70FAN
03-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I found this lighthouse on the east coast of Barbados. The shot was taken w/ a Sony T-1...nothing fancy

Another light in need of a coat of paint (like Pidgeon Point). Many thanks for the picture.

D70FAN
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
This is a tough one to get to, so I had to shoot from about a half mile away (into the sun). This is Point Sur Light. The next shot is the whole enchalada.;)

D70FAN
04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Like I said... tough to get a good shot into the sun...

But this is Point Sur.

P.S. Sorry, meant to include the history.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/Maritime/light/ptsur.htm

American Nomad
04-11-2006, 12:33 AM
This is the only light house I have actually visited.
Piney Point, Maryland