PDA

View Full Version : Spring has sprung

D70FAN
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
It is tough to survive the winters here. ;) Spring has spung here in central AZ and with all of the rain this year the Cacti will be going crazy in about two weeks (I will be going to the desert on a horse with no name...). Here is a picture from about an hour ago for all of you shut-ins up north... :)

I am editing this shot so that I can clean up some messages. Here is the info:

D70 with Sigma 18-125. Shot at f8, 1/500sec. at 125mm - Straight from the camera, no Polarizer. Others here:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/444129/1/17861603

Bluedog
03-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Beautiful. I love macro/closeups especially the natural beauty of the world. Is that using a D70?

jewallace
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
I like the blue sky and the composition, did you use a polarizer?

JTL
03-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Wow! Great shot! And, it makes reassess my opinion of the D70...I've seen more than a few "muddy" shots to date...not these. But, as is usually the case, I think it's the artist not the instrument!

Bald Eagle
03-20-2005, 10:11 PM
First posting here. Those are some beautiful pics with a great sky, I am currently using a Canon EOS D60. here are a few of the flowers found around here. let me know your opinions please.

DiJ
03-20-2005, 10:37 PM
It is tough to survive the winters here. ;) Spring has spung here in central AZ and with all of the rain this year the Cacti will be going crazy in about two weeks (I will be going to the desert on a horse with no name...). Here is a picture from about an hour ago for all of you shut-ins up north... :)

Thats beatiful. Good job good of capturing the color of the plant while keeping the sky blue. Did you use fill flash?

D70FAN
03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Thats beatiful. Good job good of capturing the color of the plant while keeping the sky blue. Did you use fill flash?

Thanks. God and mother nature provide some pretty spectacular colors, and sometimes we are lucky enough to capture them. ;)

The picture is as-was. No fill flash, no post processing. Camera set to aperture priority. The D70 and the Sigma lens are a good combo.

D70FAN
03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
First posting here. Those are some beautiful pics with a great sky, I am currently using a Canon EOS D60. here are a few of the flowers found around here. let me know your opinions please.

There is something about blue on green (your 3rd shot is very nice), yellow on blue, or yellow on dark green, that makes the brain say oooh, aaah, nice. Cool and warm I guess. The third shot says aaah. Good one.

Another of this genre...

Shot in Belmont, CA

Bald Eagle
03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the kind reply. your flower pics are absolutely fantastic. I am just now becoming familiar with digital SLR's. Most of my experience is with 35mm cameras. Nikon FE2 and Canon AE-1 program. thanks again.

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the kind reply. your flower pics are absolutely fantastic. I am just now becoming familiar with digital SLR's. Most of my experience is with 35mm cameras. Nikon FE2 and Canon AE-1 program. thanks again.

If you know your way around film SLR's it won't take you long to master digital. The rules are the same, but now you have a lot more leeway, and unlimited "film". It seems that you are there. So go crazy. ;)

Digideb
03-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I couldn't resist adding this pic to this thread, it was so similar to George's pic from the desert. Dare I flatter myself & say "great photographers shoot alike"? :) Well, George may be great, I'm still learning.
These are Acacia flowers that bloom from Jan-Feb. here. The trees are actually from Australia but are a common "exotic" here on the coast. I took this pic about a month ago.

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow! Great shot! And, it makes reassess my opinion of the D70...I've seen more than a few "muddy" shots to date...not these. But, as is usually the case, I think it's the artist not the instrument!

Thanks for the compliment. But it's more that I've finally learned how to work within the limits of the lens. The D70 has always been capable of very sharp images, which is why moire' can sometimes show up (although it doesn't happen very often).

I've met a lot of people who shoot outside the limits of their lenses and expect some sort of magic from the camera. When you can't afford $1000+ lenses, you have to learn how to work-around and compromise. ;)

gary_hendricks
03-22-2005, 10:16 AM
George, amazing picture. Love the way you placed that sky blue in the background.

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 10:21 AM
George, amazing picture. Love the way you placed that sky blue in the background.

Thanks Gary. It's nice when colors and light cooperate at the same time you decide to take a picture. ;)

D70FAN
03-24-2005, 03:23 PM
I couldn't resist adding this pic to this thread, it was so similar to George's pic from the desert. Dare I flatter myself & say "great photographers shoot alike"? :) Well, George may be great, I'm still learning.
These are Acacia flowers that bloom from Jan-Feb. here. The trees are actually from Australia but are a common "exotic" here on the coast. I took this pic about a month ago.

Digideb, Sorry I missed answering. Fantastic! I really like contrasts that are eye freindly. As I've said yellow on green or blue is always nice, but even better when the shot looks great as is the case with yours. Acacias are everywhere. Beautiful to photograph, but murder for allergy sufferers.