PDA

View Full Version : Super macro shots between storms

Digideb
03-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Like Bluedog, I too, was out yesterday, taking some close up shots in low light, in between rain showers. I've never tried posting more than one pic at a time so please bear with me as I try this.
The first shot is a tiny, 1", native orchid called, "Calypso" or "Fairy Slipper". It's only about 3" high, so I had to lay my mini tripod on the ground with the head cocked sideways holding my camera at ground level. I used the super macro mode on my Olympus C-60. I had to hold the tripod firmly to the ground & hand-push the shutter once it focused,before a breeze spoiled the shot.
The second pic is the inside of a Calla lily. I liked the way the light seemed to come from within.
The 3rd pic is a "flowering maple" or Abutilon I have in a pot on my deck. Both the Calla & Abutilon were taken in super macro mode, hand-held, under threatening skies.
I'd like to hear what you all think. :)
I realized as I'm getting ready to post this that I don't know how to insert the pix in between the text properly. Sorry! :o

Well, I see this didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I guess I'll go back to the one pic at a time method. I like it better when the whole pic comes up without clicking on "attachments", like before. I would've deleted this & started over, but I don't see an option for that. My apologies.

sherlock
03-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Like Bluedog, I too, was out yesterday, taking some close up shots in low light, in between rain showers. I've never tried posting more than one pic at a time so please bear with me as I try this.
The first shot is a tiny, 1", native orchid called, "Calypso" or "Fairy Slipper". It's only about 3" high, so I had to lay my mini tripod on the ground with the head cocked sideways holding my camera at ground level. I used the super macro mode on my Olympus C-60. I had to hold the tripod firmly to the ground & hand-push the shutter once it focused,before a breeze spoiled the shot.
The second pic is the inside of a Calla lily. I liked the way the light seemed to come from within.
The 3rd pic is a "flowering maple" or Abutilon I have in a pot on my deck. Both the Calla & Abutilon were taken in super macro mode, hand-held, under threatening skies.
I realized as I'm getting ready to post this that I don't know how to insert the pix in between the text properly. Sorry! :o

Well, I see this didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I guess I'll go back to the one pic at a time method. I like it better when the whole pic comes up without clicking on "attachments", like before. I would've deleted this & started over, but I don't see an option for that. My apologies.

Hey,

Really nice! Good DOF and color too. My favorite is the second one, the pic inside the flower. Good job!

Andrew S.

jewallace
03-20-2005, 08:23 PM
I think this is strongest of the three. Nice exposure and composition, the image fills the frame and draws the viewer in closer. very nice

Digideb
03-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks, to both of you for your encouraging comments. I think the Calla was my favorite,also. The orchid was the most difficult to get a good, sharp focus on & get it all in the frame. I used my "spot focus" for the 1st time on that one.
The Calla was a quick, try something "artsy" for fun, type of shot. Goes to show sometimes the best pix are the easiest & sometimes, almost "accidental". I never guessed that would be my best shot of the day until I saw it on my computer screen. ;)

jewallace
03-21-2005, 04:15 PM
How about shooting up at the orchid blossom? One feature I like about my Coolpix 5400 is the pivoting LCD display allows me to shoot flowers from the ground up rather than shooting down or at the same height as the blossom. You can use the spot meter for exposure and bracket the aperature to control DOF. The world looks different from a few inches high. Just food for thought.

John_Reed
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM

Well, I see this didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I guess I'll go back to the one pic at a time method. I like it better when the whole pic comes up without clicking on "attachments", like before. I would've deleted this & started over, but I don't see an option for that. My apologies.It has a lot of drama. I'd like it better if it had just a teensy bit more DOF, to accommodate that entire protruberence (whatever it's called), which looks soft on the end. Thanks for posting!

DiJ
03-21-2005, 05:34 PM
The calla lily looks great! Ilike the soft lighting effect.

Digideb
03-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for the helpful hints. :)
I just used my Super macro mode on my Oly C-60 & let the camera do the rest, but the orchid was especially hard to get a focus on. I do find myself "standing on my head" trying to get different angles, but I can see the green "focus light" from most any angle, so sometimes I'll just "shoot blind" & see how it looks in the LCD afterwards.
One thing that's great about digital, I can shoot as many pix as I want & never worry about wasting film. It's really helped me learn to take better pix by not being afraid to make lots of mistakes.
I hope, as I get more experience, I'll learn to use more of the manual settings that you mentioned.
Oh, & the lighting on the Calla lily was courtesy of "Mother Nature" on a cloudy day.