PDA

View Full Version : Shot of a little water village in Batam

gary_hendricks
03-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi here's a shot of a little secluded village in Batam, an island off Singapore.
Comments are most welcome, please :)

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~hansolo/MyAlbum/albums/album01/194915_4098_1.jpg

Geoff Chandler
03-20-2005, 08:00 AM
It looks quite natural to me - but maybe the highlights are a bit over exposed, nit picking really. It's How I like photos mostly, but I expect some will say it needs more contrast and/or Saturation - you were there, how does it compare with the real experience?
Keep posting your pics.

jewallace
03-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Nice photo. The camera did a great job metering for the houses, have you tried using a polarizer? It may give you some details of the sky and reduce the highlights a bit.

D70FAN
03-20-2005, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=gary_hendricks]Hi here's a shot of a little secluded village in Batam, an island off Singapore.
Comments are most welcome, please :)

QUOTE]

Good composition and depth. Try posting these in a smaller format (like 4x6) instead of just reducing the resolution for "posting size" as you are loosing some of the detail. Work on including the sky by playing with the exposure a little. Maybe half press at a little brighter point before composing and taking the shot. I still blow the sky out occasionally because I am concentrating on the subject instead of thinking about the whole scene.

I'm hoping this will be taken as constructive criticism, as the skill is there but the camera needs some of your help as well. ;)

speaklightly
03-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Gary-

The fishing pole in the lower right hand corner is distracting to me. Like, jewallace, I would want to do something to tone down the sky a bit. Otherwise a very pleasant composition.

Sarah Joyce

sherlock
03-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey,

Nice composition besides the distracting fishing pole in the lower right corner. If you wanted to make that a main part of the shot, move it towards the center of the frame. Also the entire photo seems overexposed, probably due to the white sky. As was said before, try using a polarizer to cut down the reflection on the water.

Andrew S.

zero
03-20-2005, 11:05 AM
try using a polarizer to cut down the reflection on the water.

What is a polarizer? Is it something that plugs into the lens?