PDA

View Full Version : One for you to Criticise

Geoff Chandler
03-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Not to pleased with this one! - it's A-200 at wide aperture, macro at 171mm, F3.5 shutter, 1/60th with IS. (Or AS) But I thought I'd submit it for some constructive critisism. OK so a lot of fine detail is lost in the size reduction & compression - but you still get the general idea...
OH, I shot it at 50 ASA - I reckon I should have increased tha ASA a little and gained a little on the F stops to increase the DOF - which seems too shallow to me (also because of the telephoto).
Enjoying all the great pix posted here - so I will post some better ones again later!

TheObiJuan
03-20-2005, 02:55 AM
the picture is too cool for me. a blueish cast bothers me. also, the composition, although unable to be fixed, is cluttered.
the focus is the beautiful picture in the middle, but the smaller buds just draw my eyes away from it.

DiJ
03-20-2005, 05:00 AM
DOF is really fine. Not a bad photo actually. See if you can brighten up the colors and make it look warmer.

gary_hendricks
03-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Geoff,

Why do you say the DOF is bad? It's quite good, in my opinion. Color is a bit bluish though.

Geoff Chandler
03-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Blueish colour - that's because it was like that - bit overcast on a concreat paving slab background. The flower colour is actually about as it was - but maybe I should have used the digital filter. I also should have moved the arrangement around a bit - as usual with me - it was a quick snap - I must slow down and take more time...
Thanks for all the helpfull comments.
(feel free to add more)

jewallace
03-20-2005, 07:20 AM
very nice, perhaps you could take the next photo from a different perspective to eliminate some of the composition issues. I think the color is perfect for the blossom. It may be a bit cool but I like it. DOF looks good to my eye.

speaklightly
03-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Geoff-

It is a pleasant shot. The blue-ish color is easily overcome in software. The DOF is very good.

Sarah Joyce

rory tate
03-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Geoff,

You have all the ingredients for a superb photo. An earlier reply suggested a different perspective, and I agree. It's been hammered into my noggin never to center the point of interest. I'd have taken a 33 degree angle from the center and pushed in a little more. Good stuff!

Rory Tate
Canadian, OK

Geoff Chandler
03-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks again everyone - here's an updated pp version - after everybodys advice - obviously an altogether new picture would be best...

jewallace
03-20-2005, 05:38 PM
very nice, stronger composition not so blue