PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at posting a photo..

rory tate
03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Well I sure hope this works. I took the suggestion of using Image Shack. Seems simple.

Any feedback will be great. A word of explanation of the photo: It is a Painted Bunting, a bird found in Oklahoma. It is rare now and found on the forest floor. This one was just outside my cabin when my son Logan grabbed the camera and hammered the shutter release.

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/9515/paintedbunting3ss.jpg

best regards,
Rory Tate
Canadian, OK

Bluedog
03-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Awesome ... that looks almost like one of those fake birds. What was the camera used and settings.

D70FAN
03-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Well I sure hope this works. I took the suggestion of using Image Shack. Seems simple.

Any feedback will be great. A word of explanation of the photo: It is a Painted Bunting, a bird found in Oklahoma. It is rare now and found on the forest floor. This one was just outside my cabin when my son Logan grabbed the camera and hammered the shutter release.

best regards,
Rory Tate
Canadian, OK

OK! I'm thinking the jungles of Panama...That's a hell of a bird for North America! Makes a robin look monochrome. ;)

EAP
03-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Nice of him to pose exactly in that little circle of sun for you! Great picture. The bird literally looks like it was painted!!

speaklightly
03-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Rory-

Thanks for sharing an excellent bird photo. Can you tell us a bit more regarding the location, the bird, and your camera?

Sarah Joyce

rory tate
03-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your kind responses. You can see I'm a newbie by the omission of the camera info. Camera: Canon 10D, lens: Sigma 70-300. The ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed are just not available. HOWEVER....this info will be presented in all future images..garonteed.

The location was about 90 miles south of Tulsa, OK., in Canadian OK, within Arrowhead State Park, where I have a cabin. It was early fall. The bird and its' mate were around for about 2 months, feeding from my bird feeders. Then they just disappeared. I'm hoping to see them again this year. My first response to seeing him was that someone had let loose their pet from Costa Rica. Then I looked it up in my bird book, and dang, if it wasn't there.

I need to reduce the image dimensions. Can y'all suggest the most overall, workable dimension?

best regards,
Rory Tate

Norm in Fujino
03-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Beautiful bird!
As for dimensions, around 750x520 works pretty well.

Mr. Peabody
03-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Good looking pic.

I have a cabin on the same lake around Porum Landing. Last summer I got a few good wildlife pics to.

MrForgetable
03-17-2005, 10:05 PM
For online usage, I will usually resize the pics to 800x600. Easy to see without scrolling, not too small, not too big. I would not go larger than 1024x768 for online postings.

But for general fixing and etc, I will usually resize it to 1600x1200. Not too big, but most of the detail is retained from the original pic.

sherlock
03-18-2005, 06:16 AM

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/9515/paintedbunting3ss.jpg

best regards,
Rory Tate
Canadian, OK

Hey,

Wow, thats a beautiful bird for North America. Looks fake! :D

Andrew S.

photosales
11-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Nice one Rory! What a great shot, and as someone else has said - jolly decent of the bird to pose in the right spot. The colouring and focussing is just brilliant. Good call from a posting virgin!

pestalnmore
11-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey Rory,
Wonderful pic of a hard to find feathered fellow. Occasionally we see them at our cabin on the lake. North Central Arkansas. Truly a great photo and beautiful bird. We also see the purple bunting. A bird so black he appears purple. Thanks for sending this one in. carla:D