PDA

View Full Version : SD500 Review misstatement?

rlallen
03-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Jeff... thank you so much for your gallent efforts maintaining this web site. It is the one I depend on, especially since I also use a Mac.
In your SD500 Review you stated "I'm also glad to see that Canon has done away with the optical viewfinder on the SD cameras."
I think perhaps you meant "NOT done away with..."
Shucks, I guess you are human like the rest of us ... :D

Anyway, this is a review I long waited for... now I am waiting to see how the Casio Z750 fares...

Keep up the good work...

Jeff Keller
03-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Jeff... thank you so much for your gallent efforts maintaining this web site. It is the one I depend on, especially since I also use a Mac.
In your SD500 Review you stated "I'm also glad to see that Canon has done away with the optical viewfinder on the SD cameras."
I think perhaps you meant "NOT done away with..."
Shucks, I guess you are human like the rest of us ... :D

Thanks, I'll fix this now. And I'm glad you remembered that I am human and prone to mistakes... some people tend to forget that sometimes.

RxH81
03-24-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi Jeff,

I did address this issue with the sensor size already...
But unfortunately no answer.

I would recommend to also tell something about the sensor size in your reviews.
Because this is one of the most important property of a camera and effects
the picture quality highly. Also it is the biggest weak point of an ultra compact.

The first statment in your SD500 review is no right:

>> When Canon set out to make an ultra compact, ultra high resolution camera, it wasn't as simple as dropping a new CCD into an existing body. The reason for that is due to the size of the CCD sensor itself: on the SD200, SD300, and the new SD400, the CCD is 1/2.5" in size. But a 7.1 Megapixel sensor -- also used in the PowerShot G6 and S70 -- is physically larger (1/1.8"), so it wouldn't work in the SD200/300/400 body. <<

Its nearly that simple:

The SD500 is based on the S410 and S500 and they have a CCD with 1/1.8".
This a unrivaled feature of this cameras in the ultra compact category.
Or do you know an ultra compact with a CCD size of 1/1.8"?

Mabey this is an impulse to pay more attention to the sensor size in your otherwise great reviews.

Greetings, Roland