PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite

Jeff Keller
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
http://lostworld.pair.com/trips/yosemite_mar05/CRW_4153.jpg

Took these with my D60, which is about to be replaced by a 20D. I shot everything in RAW, so I did tweak a few things here and there.

Yosemite Photos (http://lostworld.pair.com/trips/yosemite_mar05/)

Mr. Peabody
03-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Very good pics.

Makes me want to go see the place.

The tree pic was really cool too.

Geoff Chandler
03-11-2005, 02:48 PM
I AM going there - soon!! Off with my son's school on the 26th of March,
so I was particularly interested to see this great pic. Thanks for sharing it.
Geoff.

Xenifide
03-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Great shots.. it looks beautiful!

pmnapier
03-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Beautiful pictures Jeff. I've been there a few times. You've captured it nicely!

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Very nice shot of thos mountains, Jeff.

scout_22
03-13-2005, 06:28 AM
I AM going there - soon!! Off with my son's school on the 26th of March,
so I was particularly interested to see this great pic. Thanks for sharing it.
Geoff.

Geoff, Have you ever been there..?? Ths picture s great, but pictures cannot describe what you will see..the place is truly amazing!!

Bluedog
03-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Beautiful indeed.

shevbo
03-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Beautiful!

Geoff Chandler
03-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Geoff, Have you ever been there..?? Ths picture s great, but pictures cannot describe what you will see..the place is truly amazing!!
Never really been to the US at all - except an afternoon in Linden whilst on Holiday in Canada with relations in '93!!
So - as you can imagine - I'm looking forward to it!!!

MrForgetable
03-13-2005, 09:59 AM
i'm wondering if you took those pictures with a tripod or not! seems like it would be a hassle to carry a tripod anywhere. but hey since you're jeff keller, maybe you do.

also i love the algae in the water shot! nice contrast of color with the baby blue of the sky and the shadows of the trees.

Jeff Keller
03-13-2005, 10:45 AM
i'm wondering if you took those pictures with a tripod or not! seems like it would be a hassle to carry a tripod anywhere. but hey since you're jeff keller, maybe you do.

I brought one with me, but it never left the trunk of the car. Way too heavy to hike around with.

sherlock
03-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Jeff,

Wow, these are amazing! I was actually at Yosemite Falls and Half Dome about 4 years ago, but that was before i fell in love with photography, so I only had a dinky p&s film camera with horrible print film (for which I hate myself every day for not having a better camera). Yours came out awesome, but I just have one comment. I think almost every photographer I know owns a tripod, but never takes it with them hiking! I know that they are a pain in the a** to carry around, but it's amazing what you can do with them. Like your photos of Yosemite Falls, wouldn't it have been cool to do a long exposure to blur the water? Just my 2cents and as always, IMHO.

Andrew S.

Geoff Chandler
03-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Jeff,

Wow, these are amazing! I was actually at Yosemite Falls and Half Dome about 4 years ago, but that was before i fell in love with photography, so I only had a dinky p&s film camera with horrible print film (for which I hate myself every day for not having a better camera). Yours came out awesome, but I just have one comment. I think almost every photographer I know owns a tripod, but never takes it with them hiking! I know that they are a pain in the a** to carry around, but it's amazing what you can do with them. Like your photos of Yosemite Falls, wouldn't it have been cool to do a long exposure to blur the water? Just my 2cents and as always, IMHO.
Andrew S.
2 good compromise alternatives for the slower exposures - 1) a Mono pod, 2) a bean bag. Had a friend who used a monopod and we teased him mercilessly - but he got the results!!

D70FAN
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
2 good compromise alternatives for the slower exposures - 1) a Mono pod, 2) a bean bag. Had a friend who used a monopod and we teased him mercilessly - but he got the results!!

The nice thing about a good heavy duty monopod (like my Manfroto) is that it makes a great adjustable hiking/walking stick, as well...

sherlock
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey,

Just out of curiosity, what is a bean bag? Is it like the ones I used to jump on as a kid? Sorry, this is probobly something I should know! Thanks.

Andrew S.

ProblemSolver
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Excellent pictures, Jeff :)

DiJ
03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Fantastics pictures Jeff. They look professionally done. The reflection ones and waterfall ones very nice. What post processing did you do? Looks pretty hands off in the saturation and sharpening.

Jeff Keller
03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Fantastics pictures Jeff. They look professionally done. The reflection ones and waterfall ones very nice. What post processing did you do? Looks pretty hands off in the saturation and sharpening.

Oh I bumped up the saturation a bit in some of them... maybe the contrast and exposure too... nothing major though.

Geoff Chandler
03-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey,

Just out of curiosity, what is a bean bag? Is it like the ones I used to jump on as a kid? Sorry, this is probobly something I should know! Thanks.

Andrew S.
It's a small one. Just big enough to put on a suface and then safely put the camera on, squidge it around to get the correct angle for the pic. They call them Bean Pods I believe when sold as a specific camera accessory

sherlock
03-16-2005, 05:05 AM
It's a small one. Just big enough to put on a suface and then safely put the camera on, squidge it around to get the correct angle for the pic. They call them Bean Pods I believe when sold as a specific camera accessory

Hey Geoff,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I understand now. I still prefer my heavy manfrotto tripod :D I'm always open to new ideas though! ;) \

Andrew S.

Kim M
03-18-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm so jealous. I used to live in CA and went to Yosemite several times per year. I NEVER succeeded in getting reflections that good, there was always at least a little bit of wind stirring up the lakes. Excellent pics. Makes me wanna be there, NOW. Beam me up, Scotty!

Kim M

emalvick
04-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Great Photos,

I grew up near Yosemite... I've taken some great photos over the years, digital and film. I just wanted to make a small comment regarding the airplanes you saw (although you may know). Yosemite lies under the primary flight path from San Francisco to the east (namely Denver and Chicago). I've also noted in my own flight experiences that when flying from Sacramento to Southern California, the planes often go directly over the valley. It is an interesting and gorgeous view from the top like that.

Anyway, I have some photos I'll try to post in the near future of Yosemite.

-Erik

EAP
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Awwwwww! My freaking IS dept at work has blocked access to your site, Jeff. Seems like I'm not supposed to be looking at beautiful photos of faraway places while at work. :mad:

sherlock
04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Awwwwww! My freaking IS dept at work has blocked access to your site, Jeff. Seems like I'm not supposed to be looking at beautiful photos of faraway places while at work. :mad:

Hey EAP,

Dang it! That sucks. Why would they block this site though? :confused: I guess they don't want you dreaming about going somewhere amazing while stuck at your boring job....

Andrew S.

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 08:31 PM

I'd get a new job. ;) Or at least take it up with the Labor Relations Board.

John_Reed
04-07-2005, 11:34 PM
You done good by the D60. Just needed a little better lighting to equal Ansel's snapshots, but hey, pretty good for a newcomer! ;)

Geoff Chandler
04-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Well I enjoyed my trip - here's another from Yosemite from me...
(orig pic KM A-200 @5mp. f3.2, 400th sec, 58mm equiv. Picture reduced for posting)