PDA

View Full Version : Photo posting woes

Digideb
03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I've been searching in vain for a quick & easy way to post photos here & on other bulletin boards. I came up with a kinda crazy way to post a pic. here but it involves emailing it to myself so it'll get downsized & then a few more steps to post it. (time consuming)
Now, I see on another board they need pix downsized twice as small as this forum. I've considered Photoshop, Paintshop,etc. yet I don't know that those programs are what I need. I just registered on "Photobucket.com" & put one of my pix in there, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to post it from there to a bulletin board. It's as if they assume everyone knows how to do this stuff. :mad:
Should it be this difficult or is it just me? Does someone out there have a simple answer to this problem? :(

EAP
03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Why don't you upload your photos to an online photo sharing service (several of these, both free and for a nominal fee of something like $30 a year have been mentioned in various places on this site -- in this very thread, I think...). Then you can just post a link for people to click on to see your photos. Like this:

http://bethsadventurepics.smugmug.com/share/talbW4aLtJKOE

Uploading takes time if you don't have a high-speed connection, but if you don't mind your phone connection being tied up you can always get it going and then turn off your monitor and go to bed (if I'm uploading from my dial-up connection at home rather than my LAN at work, that's what I do).

EAP
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Doh! < hand slapping side of head > I just read your post again...you already have found a photo-hosting service! Doesn't it have some sort of help function so you can figure out how to post the link? Or online instructions somewhere on the site? Smugmug took me a bit to figure out, but it wasn't all that difficult when I used the help function. (they also have customer service you can email, so that helped also).

behr655
03-09-2005, 06:38 PM
On most boards it works like this:

Copy the URL of the image you want to post. Wrap in the image tags . For example, [im*g]http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10034/DevilsArch.jpg[/im*g] will produce the image you see below. Do not use the asterisks, they are only there to keep the image from showing in my example.

Steve

Devil's Arch
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10034/DevilsArch.jpg

Mr. Peabody
03-09-2005, 06:53 PM
If you want to post your pics on the web, you have to have someone host them for you. Imageshack will do it for you for free. It's the best and easiest way to do it.

http://imageshack.us/index3.php

I use it all the time. It's very simple.

EAP
03-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow, behr655, nice photo!

Digideb
03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, I did join a free photo sharing site, "photobucket". I tried to find some help but the site didn't offer much. They did answer my email, though & mentioned some cut & paste method that sounds similar to the suggestions offered here. So, I'll go give it another try when I have time to mess around with it.
Thanks, again for all of your help. :) Nice pic. too!

behr655
03-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Wow, behr655, nice photo!

Thanks. That was taken in the Pine Barrens of SJ useing my old DiMage S404. I then used the Rotating Mirror effect in PSP9.

Xenifide
03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I've been searching in vain for a quick & easy way to post photos here & on other bulletin boards. I came up with a kinda crazy way to post a pic. here but it involves emailing it to myself so it'll get downsized & then a few more steps to post it. (time consuming)
Now, I see on another board they need pix downsized twice as small as this forum. I've considered Photoshop, Paintshop,etc. yet I don't know that those programs are what I need. I just registered on "Photobucket.com" & put one of my pix in there, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to post it from there to a bulletin board. It's as if they assume everyone knows how to do this stuff. :mad:
Should it be this difficult or is it just me? Does someone out there have a simple answer to this problem? :(

Who is your internet host?? They might offer free web hosting that you can store you pictures on instead.

Digideb
03-16-2005, 12:05 PM
As I posted in a new thread this morning, I still haven't found a method for posting pix. Dozens of attempts with both Photobucket & Image shack have resulted in the same "invalid file type" message on this & another BB.
To answer the inquiry posted, my Internet provider is an Earthlink affliate. I get updates & my bill from Earthlink. I don't understand why their hosting service would work any better than Image Shack,etc. Unless I'm missing something, here, please, feel free to educate me.
I never thought it would be so difficult & such a frustrating, time-consuming endevour. Thanks for your input. :)

D70FAN
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
As I posted in a new thread this morning, I still haven't found a method for posting pix. Dozens of attempts with both Photobucket & Image shack have resulted in the same "invalid file type" message on this & another BB.
To answer the inquiry posted, my Internet provider is an Earthlink affliate. I get updates & my bill from Earthlink. I don't understand why their hosting service would work any better than Image Shack,etc. Unless I'm missing something, here, please, feel free to educate me.
I never thought it would be so difficult & such a frustrating, time-consuming endevour. Thanks for your input. :)

It's actually easier than that. Down below in "additional options" you will see manage attachments.

click on that and then "browse". Find the picture and then upload it. Repeat until finished then close the attachments pop-up. Once uploaded it will be listed in the manage attachments box.

I have attached Cold Snails "squirel" shot from an old Kodak Pro410 1.3MP dSLR as an example.

Digideb
03-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks, George. I appreciate your help but that's how I first started off trying to post pix & found out my pix were too large. Then, I learned that I can email the pic. to myself (w/"downsize for email" button) then put it back in My Pictures & browse for the downsized version & upload it successfully. That's how I've posted pix here before, but another BB says the file is still too large with that method & I was hoping for an easier, more direct way.
I've always used the "manage attachments" window. I figured that's the only way to do it. The codes from the photosharing sites "paste" onto the text area of that window, but they always get rejected as "invalid files".
I've tried every obvious thing & everything that's been suggested to me with no success. I can't figure out why it won't work & no one else seems to have an answer, either. :(
Nice pic, by the way! :)

D70FAN
03-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks, George. I appreciate your help but that's how I first started off trying to post pix & found out my pix were too large. Then, I learned that I can email the pic. to myself (w/"downsize for email" button) then put it back in My Pictures & browse for the downsized version & upload it successfully. That's how I've posted pix here before, but another BB says the file is still too large with that method & I was hoping for an easier, more direct way.
I've always used the "manage attachments" window. I figured that's the only way to do it. The codes from the photosharing sites "paste" onto the text area of that window, but they always get rejected as "invalid files".
I've tried every obvious thing & everything that's been suggested to me with no success. I can't figure out why it won't work & no one else seems to have an answer, either. :(
Nice pic, by the way! :)

I replied on the other thread. I find that I prefer to direct people to my photo sharing site (smugmug) rather than resizing and posting directly.

The picture is from Pauls (aka Cold Snail) collection, and is one of my favorite pictures to show that MegaPixels are not the whole story in digital photography. This Kodak/Nikon 1.3MP pro dSLR camera cost about $11,000 eight years ago. :eek: I think Paul paid $100 at a local camera shop last year. And has since converted it to a Nikon N90 film camera.

Digideb
03-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I replied on the other thread. I find that I prefer to direct people to my photo sharing site (smugmug) rather than resizing and posting directly.

The picture is from Pauls (aka Cold Snail) collection, and is one of my favorite pictures to show that MegaPixels are not the whole story in digital photography. This Kodak/Nikon 1.3MP pro dSLR camera cost about $11,000 eight years ago. :eek: I think Paul paid $100 at a local camera shop last year. And has since converted it to a Nikon N90 film camera.
Yes, George, that's why I started trying the photo sharing sites as people suggested. The only re-sizing I know how to do doesn't downsize enough for other BBs. I've tried Cut & pasting every type of code offered by both sites & every one of them results in the "invalid file type" message, including the pic. I just posted here using my other method. Still a mystery with no answer!
By the way,it is amazing hearing about earlier model digicams & prices that weren't so long ago. :eek:

behr655
03-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Yes, George, that's why I started trying the photo sharing sites as people suggested. The only re-sizing I know how to do doesn't downsize enough for other BBs. I've tried Cut & pasting every type of code offered by both sites & every one of them results in the "invalid file type" message, including the pic. I just posted here using my other method. Still a mystery with no answer!
By the way,it is amazing hearing about earlier model digicams & prices that weren't so long ago. :eek:

Digideb,

First, you are saying "cut & paste". You don't need to "cut". Just copy the url of the image you want to post. Make sure it is not the thumbnail but the actual image.
Second, as far as resizing goes, I'm sure have some sort of photo editing software that you use, PhotoShop, PaintShopPro, etc. If not, and you don't want to spend the bucks, you can get a great freeby. Do a search and download IrfanView.
With what ever program you use, you can re-size a copy of your photo to 800x600 +/- before you load them to your picture sharing site or use the "manage attachments" feature. 800x600 is a good size for viewing on the web. Remember to re-size a copy and not your original.
See my earlier post about how to format the url so it will show as an image.

If it still fails we all will give you our addresses and you can mail us a print. :D

Steve.

Digideb
03-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Digideb,

First, you are saying "cut & paste". You don't need to "cut". Just copy the url of the image you want to post. Make sure it is not the thumbnail but the actual image.
Second, as far as resizing goes, I'm sure have some sort of photo editing software that you use, PhotoShop, PaintShopPro, etc. If not, and you don't want to spend the bucks, you can get a great freeby. Do a search and download IrfanView.
With what ever program you use, you can re-size a copy of your photo to 800x600 +/- before you load them to your picture sharing site or use the "manage attachments" feature. 800x600 is a good size for viewing on the web. Remember to re-size a copy and not your original.
See my earlier post about how to format the url so it will show as an image.

If it still fails we all will give you our addresses and you can mail us a print. :D

Steve.
First of all, Steve, thank you very much for taking the time to offer your advice. Yes, I do know it should be "Cut" not copy, but in my desparation I've tried everything.
Actually, I'm such a newbie with digicams I haven't gotten into the photo editing thing, yet. I also don't have much desire to alter my pix. But, I have been learning about the different programs & I'm considering a free trial download of Paintshop, for starters. The slow download (I've heard) with a slow dial up is making me hesitant.
I have found a way to post pix on this forum by emailing them to myself, but they don't get downsized enough to use on the other BB I'd like to post on. Thanks, also, for offering to post them for me. Members on the other BB have done that for me, but it would be much more fun to instantly add a pic with my witty comments like everyone else. Plus, it kinda bugs me that other people can do it, but I can't seem to figure it out. :o
One thing I might add about my problem is that all attempts to upload from the photo sharing sites have resulted the message, "invalid file type", never "file too large", which I have gotten while trying to upload other ways.
I was hoping there would be an easy way through Paintshop to resize down to what's required & then be able to upload it easily on other BBs.
Thanks again for your help. I will go try that "click on Properties" method you mentioned in the other thread. I'll definately let you all know when I finally figure it out. (if I do) :)

Bluedog
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Do you have any type of photo editing software? Its relatively easy to resize the original image to say around 800x600 without loosing the quality and saving the image as a .jpg to your desktop for easy locating. That way it should allow you to be with in the uploading size limitations of the hosting site. Imageshack allows 1024 kb for uploading.

Heres an easy way to reduce the .jpg size for uploading:

Copy the image you want to your desktop|right click on the image file and choose Open With: Paint|once opened choose File from the Tool bar (top left) in Paint|then choose Save As|when the menu box opens up click to right side of the highlighted name and add anything you want (a 1 is fine)|then save the new renamed image file to your desktop. Now if you right click on the new saved image and select Properties you'll see the size should be reduced enough for uploading using image shack.

OK the image won't be resized once uploaded for posting so once you have it uploaded to image shack you'll see the option for posting the thumbnail file so that way users can open the original file for viewing. The other option is to use an editing program to resize the image to 800x600 then it would be better for posting without using the thumbnail image.

Use the links I have maked in Red for pasting in Forums. Just hightlight the url name and cut then paste:

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/1949/imageshack0fb.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Digideb
03-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Bluedog, for your advice. As I mentioned above, I don't have photo editing software, but I'm considering a Paintshop free download to try it out.
I only know how to downsize my pix by using the email feature with My Pictures. It works for this forum, but not on another BB, which needs the pix 1/2 the size as here.(they list "size" in MBs, I think)
The reason I went to the photo sharing sites is because I thought they did all the re-sizing, etc. so that posting the pic is quick & easy. Otherwise, I don't see the point of using the sites. If I have to do all the prep work, why not just upload the file straight from My Pictures? Forgive me, if I'm missing something. I also have no use for pix that have to be clicked on to view,etc. I need pix that come up regular size with my post if I'm going to bother with it at all.
I am about to surrender to defeat on this challenge (for now) but I may try a trick or 2 before I give up. I'm wondering if I took the downsized pix I've used on this site (I keep them in their own file) & I emailed them to myself again, would they get downsized more? Then, maybe they'd be small enough to upload to the BB. I think it's worth a try, anyway. I'll let you know if it works for me. Thanks, again. :)

Bluedog
03-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Try this program as its totally FREE and does an excellent job: http://www.irfanview.com/ and use it to resize your photo.

Digideb
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Try this program as its totally FREE and does an excellent job: http://www.irfanview.com/ and use it to resize your photo.Thanks, again, Bluedog. I was going to update you & others that have been so nice to offer advice, that I found an Adobe Starter Version hiding in my new computer & I was able to resize my pic enough to post on that other BB. Only problem is it shows up as a thumbnail, but viewable & easily clickable for larger size. Not quite what I'd hoped for, but better than nothing I guess.
Before I settled for the Adobe thumbnail option, I tried your "irfanview" link, downloaded it, open a pic for a "test run". I was able to downsize it enough, but the quality was terrible! I didn't even want to upload it anywhere.
The BB I want to post on needs pix downsized down to 39.1 KB. The downsizing option I've used before (with decent quality) still produces files twice that size.
At this point, I think I'm going to stick with the so-so Adobe thumbnail option & hopefully, if I learn more about the Adobe, I'll find a better option. I'll hold off on un-installing the IrfanView for now, but I'm thinking it's not going to do what I need.
I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from fellow members on this. This is a great site! :)

Bluedog
03-17-2005, 03:40 PM
When you resize an image you have to tell the application your using (in some way) to keep the original Aspect Ratio or it will get out of proportion.

Digideb
03-19-2005, 11:04 AM
To Bluedog & others that were so nice to offer advice, I wanted to give you a quick update on what I found out, so far.
First of all, Bluedog, I dismissed the IrfanView too quickly & I did have some luck with it, so I'll keep it for now & maybe learn more about it. ;)
I also went back & re-discovered an Adobe Starter Album that came with my computer & used the email re-sizing feature there, with some success.
Only problem with both of those methods is that, although I was finally able to post pix on that other BB, they always came up as thumbnails. The BB members there are nice & say not to worry, it's just one click to see them bigger.
Then, it was suggested that I use the "Paint" program's "Stretch/skew" feature to resize the pic. I always thought that was for distorting pix. It was the easiest resizing method but it still resulted in a thumbnail.
At this point, I'm ready to declare a "minor victory". Maybe I'll find a new way eventually, but I'll be happy with what I can do for now. At least, I can still post nice sized pix on this forum.
Thanks, again, to all of you for all your help! :D