PDA

View Full Version : Fuji F10 and Z1 - ISO 800 to 1600!!

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Jeff,

Maybe I missed the release when I was in Japan, but Agentaudry brought these new Fuji models to my attention today, and from the specs I would have thought that the camera world would be all a-twitter.

ISO800 for an ultra-compact and ISO1600 for a jacket-pocket digicam is pretty darned impressive. In fact this is supposed to be a high performance picture taking machine.

Any inside info on this or is it just hype. Maybe this is the pocket cam that I, and the rest of the world, have been waiting for. ;)

Rex914
03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, I didn't notice that in the announcements a few weeks ago. How in the world did they achieve that? If the photos turn out anywhere near decent at 800/1600, Fuji could give the others a real run for the money.

FinePix F10 [specs]

http://www.dcresource.com/images/news/fuji_020805/F10image_final_1-tb.jpg

6.3 Megapixel SuperCCD HR sensor produces images at 2848 x 2136 (no 12MP mode here!)
F2.8-5.0, 3X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 36 - 108 mm
1.3 second startup time
Can shoot at full resolution, even at ISO 1600, thanks to the new RP image processor
AF-assist lamp
2.5" LCD display with auto gain-up function for low light situations; camera has no optical viewfinder
VGA / 30 fps movie mode, with sound
Can take 500 photos per charge using NP-120 lithium-ion battery
Uses xD Picture cards (16MB card included)
USB 2.0 High Speed supported
PictBridge-enabled
Ships in April for $500

FinePix Z1 [specs]

http://www.dcresource.com/images/news/fuji_020805/Z1_black_front.left-tb.jpg

5.1 Megapixel SuperCCD HR sensor produces images at 2592 x 1944; unlike previous models (e.g. E550) this one cannot interpolate to a higher resolution
F3.5-4.2, 3X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 36 - 108 mm; lens design similar to Sony DSC-T1 and Minolta DiMAGE X-series cameras
Comes in black and silver bodies; body is thinner than a deck of cards
Large 2.5" LCD display gains up in low light (yay!) and is protected by a strong reinforced glass coating to protect it
"Real Photo Technology" allows for photo taking at ISO 800 with "reduced noise and extra sharpness"
VGA / 30 fps movie mode with sound
Powers up in just 0.6 seconds
Uses NP-40 lithium-ion battery and xD Picture cards
USB 2.0 High Speed supported
PictBridge-enabled
Ships in June for $450

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Wow, I didn't notice that in the announcements a few weeks ago. How in the world did they achieve that? If the photos turn out anywhere near decent at 800/1600, Fuji could give the others a real run for the money.

Y'know... with Fuji, there is always something. In this case no optical viewfinder. I realize that it might be difficult on the Z1 but for $500 you would think they could add that simple feature to the F10. I suppose that the gain-up feature on the LCD would make this a smaller issue.

They still have my attention...

Update:

NO MANUAL CONTROLS!! Even on the F10. A $500 point-n-shot. That's 2 strikes Fuji. :( The ISO thing had better be a doozy...

pokeyman
03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Jeff,

...from the specs I would have thought that the camera world would be all a-twitter.

ISO800 for an ultra-compact and ISO1600 for a jacket-pocket digicam is pretty darned impressive....Maybe this is the pocket cam that I, and the rest of the world, have been waiting for. ;)

I agree this should be getting more scrutiny, but maybe one reason for the lack of excitement is that Fuji has done the high ISO thing with previous generations of SuperCCD, e.g. the Finepix F601 and F602 went up to ISO1600 http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f601-review/

Back then, the catch was that high ISO was only available at reduced res. Aside from that, however, the results were not bad, with the 1600 ISO looking about as noisy as other cameras at 400 ISO. Meanwhile the F601's own 400 ISO (full res) was reported to be quite reasonable, though still noticeably noisier than lower settings.

pokeyman
03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
If tradition holds, Fuji should release one or more prosumer cams w/ the same sensor (if they haven't already) and respectable manual control (albeit most likely in a SLR-like styling).