PDA

View Full Version : Z5 vs FZ20

scubaker
03-03-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm debating between a Minolta Z5 and the Panasonic FZ20. I've read Minolta has won quite a few awards for "realistic" colors, then I've also read that the Z3 had a lot of noise, although some of that has been fixed in the new Z5. The main thing that is stopping me from buying the Z5 is the lack of AF assist lamp, but is this that big of a deal when you consider the manual focus ability?
Also, I like what I've heard about the video mode on the Z-series cameras. This sounds much more impressive then the FZ20's video mode.
Primarily I want the camera for casual use, but I am also interested in possibly making some larger prints. How big of prints do you think I could make with either of these cameras? (They are both 5MP).
So is the supposed better picture quality on the FZ20 really that big of a deal? Am I going to think "wow, that picture isn't as sharp as it should be" when I blow a Z5 picture up to 8x10 or larger?

triggerhappy
03-04-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm debating between a Minolta Z5 and the Panasonic FZ20. I've read Minolta has won quite a few awards for "realistic" colors, then I've also read that the Z3 had a lot of noise, although some of that has been fixed in the new Z5. The main thing that is stopping me from buying the Z5 is the lack of AF assist lamp, but is this that big of a deal when you consider the manual focus ability?
Also, I like what I've heard about the video mode on the Z-series cameras. This sounds much more impressive then the FZ20's video mode.
Primarily I want the camera for casual use, but I am also interested in possibly making some larger prints. How big of prints do you think I could make with either of these cameras? (They are both 5MP).
So is the supposed better picture quality on the FZ20 really that big of a deal? Am I going to think "wow, that picture isn't as sharp as it should be" when I blow a Z5 picture up to 8x10 or larger?

I have also looked for a similar type of camera but kept finding some nigglies that I didn't like until a saw the specs & picture for the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1. It is not available until June. I'm not a Sony fan in Australia as their repair service for cameras/videos is poor & I don't really want the over-priced memory stick suppositories but this does look good.

Sandy
03-04-2005, 11:32 AM
This is the catagory that I am also interested in.
The Panasonic FZ5 does not have the movie capabilities of these two.
Is Canon coming out with a S1 IS replacement soon???