PDA

View Full Version : In need of a good medium format scanner

Spider_Whistle
03-01-2005, 09:35 PM
I am looking for a good scanner that can handle 120 (6x7) and 35mm slides and negatives. The Microtek, Nikon, and Minolta are all a bit steep for me right now. I was seriously considering an Epson Perfection 4870, that is until I read several reviews saying it was a decent scanner, as long as you didn't need to scan negs... lol
Anyone have experience with medium format scanners? Any suggestions on a good middle of the road choice? The main concern for me is image quality. I could care less about size, weight, speed, or bundled software.

Thanks!

jaykinghorn
03-02-2005, 04:10 PM
I think your best bet for the money is the new Nikon 9000. They've significantly improved their scanners in this latest release.

If that's too steep, consider having drum scans made from your medium format negs. Expect to pay $30-40 each for a good quality scan, but that's a lot less than you'd spend on a scanner.

I would stay away from trying to scan negatives with a flatbed scanner. The quality just isn't there. I would also steer you clear of any scanner with Silverfast software. I know there are people that can make it to wonderful things, but I am not one of them. I teach Photoshop, Color Managment and Digital Workflow but I can't get a decent scan from any scanner using Silverfast. Just my $0.02.

Best regards,
Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

Nick
03-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I am looking for a good scanner that can handle 120 (6x7) and 35mm slides and negatives. The Microtek, Nikon, and Minolta are all a bit steep for me right now. I was seriously considering an Epson Perfection 4870, that is until I read several reviews saying it was a decent scanner, as long as you didn't need to scan negs... lol
Anyone have experience with medium format scanners? Any suggestions on a good middle of the road choice? The main concern for me is image quality. I could care less about size, weight, speed, or bundled software.

Thanks!

I'm working with a Epson 4180 Perfection, and although I've never scanned medium format negatives, I have done over 500 colour slides that are heavily aged - I have no complaints about the quality or the colour reproduction. Except that scanning two strips of film, each 5 exposure, takes about 30 minutes @ 3200.

gary_hendricks
03-05-2005, 08:15 AM
My only gripe about the Epson Perfection 4870 is that it comes with old software (Adobe Photoshop Elements 2). Its supposed to be Version 3 now :)

Spider_Whistle
03-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info everyone! I might give the Epson a try since it really is the only one I can afford right now. hehe