PDA

View Full Version : You guys are great!

Mr. Peabody
03-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I like this site and I appreciate the wealth of info that I have found and the feedback from you guys.

I assume most of you are professional photographers or experienced amateur photographers. I'm not and don't care to be. I just want to learn to use my Canon 20D to the best of it's abilities, so I can take great shots of my kids playing sports and cheerleading in both outdoor sunlight, indoors in gyms, and at night.

Pardon me if I ask what would be considered dumb questions in your eyes.

I'm a beginner looking to achieve amateur photographer status.

I'm still in the process of learning what exposure, white balance, aperture, and all the other terms mean so that I don't have to just shoot pictures in the preset camera basic modes.

ktixx
03-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I am sure there is a wealth of information out there, but I was given this book, and I found it particularly helpful in understanding the world of photography. I am in the same state as you and pretty much every photographer out there, LEARNING. The book is called "The Photographers Manual: How to get the best picture every time with any kind of camera" and it really helped me to understand the technical photographic terms (IE: Aperture, F-stop etc. etc) and overall how to compose a shot. Literall you can get this book for US $2.00 (used) from amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0681645148/qid%3D1109742082/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-3999822-2262468 It is not made for digital cameras (as I don't think they out for consumers at the time :p) but it does go in depth about how a camera works, and basically how to get a shot. It talks about how to approach people to talk to them before you take a picture. By no means am I saying that this is the only material you should get, but overall for the small investment (MAX - US $10 after shipping) I would say it is well worth it. Good luck
Ken