PDA

View Full Version : Dog at play

ktixx
02-26-2005, 11:49 AM
A picture of my dog, your comments are appreciated :D Also, can anyone tell me how to properly expose the face of a black dog against a background of white snow?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/w/kws143/Cody_Small.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/800 sec.
Lens Aperture: F/5.6
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 125mm
Metering: Partial
Camera: Canon 20D
Lens: Sigma 18-125

Conditions: Overcast

Rhys
02-26-2005, 12:50 PM
A picture of my dog, your comments are appreciated :D Also, can anyone tell me how to properly expose the face of a black dog against a background of white snow?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/w/kws143/Cody_Small.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/800 sec.
Lens Aperture: F/5.6
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 125mm
Metering: Partial
Camera: Canon 20D
Lens: Sigma 18-125

Conditions: Overcast

I'd suggest using a slower shutter speed - 1/250th and a wider aperture f2.8 and using fill-in flash to counter the white background by reducing the apparent dynamic range. Even film will struggle with a range that dynamic.

John_Reed
02-26-2005, 09:26 PM

Personally, I'd keep the fast shutter speed, increase the aperture, and let the snow "blow out" a little, since it's already clipping anyway. If you lower the shutter speed, as Rhys suggested, you won't freeze the motion as well. And synchronizing his jump with a flash? Sounds difficult. Then, how do you get the dog to repeat the shot? ;)

Rhys
02-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Personally, I'd keep the fast shutter speed, increase the aperture, and let the snow "blow out" a little, since it's already clipping anyway. If you lower the shutter speed, as Rhys suggested, you won't freeze the motion as well. And synchronizing his jump with a flash? Sounds difficult. Then, how do you get the dog to repeat the shot? ;)

The flash will fire at around 1/30,000th of a second. That'll freeze any motion.

gary_hendricks
02-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Use a slow shutter speed, aperture 2.8 :)