PDA

View Full Version : Avenue A

Rhys
08-14-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm getting problems loading the DCResource site via Internet Explorer because it seems to have Avenue A, according to my spyware guard. Mozilla, which is not susceptible to spyware like that doesn't object. So, I can't use DCResource via IE while Avenue A is present.

Jeff Keller
08-14-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm getting problems loading the DCResource site via Internet Explorer because it seems to have Avenue A, according to my spyware guard. Mozilla, which is not susceptible to spyware like that doesn't object. So, I can't use DCResource via IE while Avenue A is present.

That's weird, we're not associated with Avenue A as far as I know.

Rhys
08-14-2004, 04:50 PM
That's weird, we're not associated with Avenue A as far as I know.

Even more bizarre than that. Now I'm not getting Avenue A warnings. Perhaps one of your advertisers was using it?

judge9847
08-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Rhys - From what I've just been reading about it via. Google and Google Groups, I have the clear impression that Avenue A is a tracking cookie, installed by a company now known as Atlas DMT.

They are an interactive advertising agency.

A lot of people claim this to be spyware: certainly it seems that it's installed without your knowledge.

It's not part or a function of IE at all so perhaps it's a tad unfair to say it's a related problem.

Looks like it's down to you and browsing habits or those of someone who might be using your computer.

I'd strongly suggest that your run AdAware and Spybot. Both are free and should clear your system of all sorts of stuff that you're not aware exists on your PC.

Hope that helps.

Rhys
08-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Rhys - From what I've just been reading about it via. Google and Google Groups, I have the clear impression that Avenue A is a tracking cookie, installed by a company now known as Atlas DMT.

They are an interactive advertising agency.

A lot of people claim this to be spyware: certainly it seems that it's installed without your knowledge.

It's not part or a function of IE at all so perhaps it's a tad unfair to say it's a related problem.

Looks like it's down to you and browsing habits or those of someone who might be using your computer.

I'd strongly suggest that your run AdAware and Spybot. Both are free and should clear your system of all sorts of stuff that you're not aware exists on your PC.

Hope that helps.

Yes. Spybot alerted me to it and asked me if I wanted to block the download - from Jeff's site.

judge9847
08-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Yes. Spybot alerted me to it and asked me if I wanted to block the download - from Jeff's site.

Again, from reading a lot of stuff about Avenue A, it does seem that it haunts a lot of sites like this, i.e. using this type of forum software. Many if not most of the complaints about it, and which you seem to be experiencing, originate when the surfer attempts to use forum software. It's not the site per se. I've found much the same complaints about it on forums to do with soccer, PC technical help (ironic or what?), a wildlife site I think it was and so on. But it seems it's all connected via. this type of software.

Now I could easily be wrong but I'm inclined to believe it's this: the PC has the tracking cookie which alerts the forum web site of it's existence. The forum software then simply redirects the browser to the Atlas site to get the download. When that happens, SpyBot tells you about the apparent attempt to hijack your PC. It looks like the site you're browsing too that's causing the issue but I'm inclined not to believe that. Without SpyBot, the forum software will simply redirect to Atlas and the program downloaded.

I think I'd examine more closely the forum software itself. I don't know if it's "free", or relatively cheap, but if it is then one way of paying for it is with that sort of activity. I've long held the thought that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that's especially true when it comes to the web. Look at all the known spy/crapware there is: Intellimail, Hotbar, the Smiley icons thing (Cloud 8 and Thunderball products excepted) and lots more. All free? No such thing. The user pays for it and mostly in invidious way.

Rhys
08-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I had the Spybot warning a couple more times today. This time, I trapped the URL that the site was trying to drag me to:

http://view.atdmt.com/CLH/iview/trblftru00701186clh/direct/01/424802839?click=http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/XTDPF

Both times the URL was the same. I suspect, since it doesn't always appear, that it's linked to the banner ad at the top of the page (which seems to change)

Anyway, Spybot S&D blocks it.