PDA

View Full Version : A modest suggestion

Norm in Fujino
02-23-2005, 07:26 PM
It's nice to see all the new photos being displayed here, but I would suggest that apart from their power to provoke sheer interest in photographic technology, one role these photos play is as a diary of life (or lives). As a result, I personally would like to see a bit more information not just about the exposure and manipulation of the photo ("1/120 second f3.8, contrast -2, sharpness +3, changed hue in PS. . .") but about the actual location and conditions where the photo was taken. Let us know what we're looking at, what part of the world it's depicting, what time of day, and other items of interest outside the technical realm.

--Just one man's opinion :D

"And now back to your regularly scheduled programming. . ."

ReF
02-23-2005, 07:43 PM
what's kinda weird is that i always like to know where someone else took a certain photograph but i don't alway like people to know where some of my photos were taken, at least not until someone has already formed an opinion of that photo. the reason for this is because i shoot in some pretty ordinary places (because i'm not always on vacation in some nice location) and i find that has the same effect as a nice photo being shot with a cheap camera: it lowers peoples' opinons of a photo. someone on this forum (Rhys?) gave a good example of this when he said that he has a nice photograph that everyone likes until they find out that it was taken with a cheap throw away camera with a plastic lens (or something like that).

Digideb
02-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I like your idea! When this "Gallery" was 1st started, I think someone suggested giving the camera info. so I thought that was routine on Photo Gallery sites.
I don't mind a bit of camera stuff, but I'd like to read more about the image. I hope others will go for that idea. :)

Norm in Fujino
02-23-2005, 09:49 PM
what's kinda weird is that i always like to know where someone else took a certain photograph but i don't alway like people to know where some of my photos were taken, at least not until someone has already formed an opinion of that photo. the reason for this is because i shoot in some pretty ordinary places . . .

Well, "ordinary" is in the mind of the beholder. I live in Japan, which may seem exotic to many on the list, but to me it's just "home"; I walk over the same mountain several times each week with my dog, and don't always see much that seems new to me, but it may seem like a different universe to others. As one example, here is a photo I took last year--actually, I uploaded it then to a different photo site, so it's not new.

http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens/resource/040319030b.jpg

It's just a tiny violet, in Japanese called tachitsubo sumire or Viola grypoceras, in English known as "Korean violet." It's incredibly "ordinary," appearing in numerous places alongside the "ordinary" paths I take each day. But it appears at the beginning of spring, and it grows out of the dead leaves from the preceding winter, so it's special to me (and I think this photograph came out pretty well, too). Even photos taken with plastic-lens cameras can be special, if the photographer can convey a bit of what she/he is experiencing or trying to see. Let's face it, few of us here are professionals, and we're transmitting a bit about ourselves and daily lives when we upload photos--or so I assume, so as long as we're not displaying tremendously technical virtuosity or artistry in our stuff, anyway, I'd at least like to know about what I'm looking at. (--And conversely, just because a photo is of a famous place doesn't mean anything to me if it's carelessly done) :D

EAP
02-23-2005, 11:07 PM
I just love seeing everyone's photos; in addition to being eye candy, they give me ideas of things I might want to try photographing myself. Keep 'em coming, and provide as much or as little info as you are comfortable with. I love to see info both on camera settings and on when/where photos were taken, but I'm also happy just to see the photos.

Digideb
02-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I saw Norm's pic. of the beautiful blue Japanese violets & I had to contribute this pic. I took on Tues. of one of the first tiny Redwood violets emerging from the forest debris. These little violets are also common, like Norm's, on the other side of the Pacific. This was taken in the evening, just a few feet from our house. I'd like to get more shots of the violets in shafts of sunlight but I thought I should "capture" this one in case a deer or bunny decides it looks tasty. :)
This pic. is not as nice as Norm's but I thought it was very appropriate to his thread.

Norm in Fujino
02-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that, Deb. I love the pictures of the "little" and "unnoticed" beauty around us.

Rhys
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Yes. Indeed 'twas I that commented that some people I knew were impressed with a photo I took until they found I'd done it with a 110 camera that had a plastic lens and cost less than the film I put in it. These are the kind of people that are more interested in equipment than in photography. To be kind to them, they're the unwitting victims of marketing hype.

It's not just in the exotic places that exotic photos can be taken.

Take this photo. Did it come from the Amazon? No. Was it taken on a hot day in a tropical rainforest? No.

So... Where was it taken? It was taken on an overcast day in a semi-derelict greenhouse in a local educational garden in South Wales, sometime in August 2001 using an Olympus 200 Zoom. That's a 2 megapixel camera that uses Smart Media.

Digideb
02-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree with you, Rhys. :) I'm much MORE impressed when I learn that a great pic. was taken with a simple basic camera. It shows that you don't need an expensive camera to take great photos.
The only people having a problem with this idea seem to be the ones that have already spent way too much on equipment or the folks profitting from selling stuff to them. Their "skewed logic" is motivated by profit or justifying money spent. It makes them "look bad" when someone takes a great pic. with a cheap camera. :eek:
I'm glad that I found Ken Rockwell's site. I'd recommend it to all who want to be encouraged & excited about photography. He's a pro photographer that has the guts to "tell it like it is" about fancy cameras, marketing & simply taking photos. ;)
P.S. I almost forgot, great pic. Rhys! :)

ReF
02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
glad to see that the "regulars" on this forum are not snobs. i feel the same as you guys/gals: the equipment and location are nowhere near as important as the shot, but there are a lot of people out there with more superficial views. so far i have a much better collection of favorite photos taken with the 4mp A80 compared to my D-rebel picture collection. i live in the Los Angeles area and i personally know a lot of people that cringe(residents, former locals, past visitors) when they hear anyone even mention that name. there is though, a bit of fun that can be had in not mentioning the shooting location or even the subject(until later on). for example, isn't cool that Rhys, without saying a single suggestive word, could make people believe that he actually took that photo in some exotic jungle?