PDA

View Full Version : can't think of a name for this

ReF
02-23-2005, 06:46 PM
EOS 300D with canon 50mm f1.8 lens, shot at f16 20sec exposure, ISO 100
thought i'd post this just for fun. took this shot a little after sunset, just as the lights are going on and before the sky got too dark. decided on this shot as my first post because there already seems to be plenty of daytime shots on the web. the only problem is that it's one of those "small detail shots" and the compression really seems to be doing a number on those details.

Norm in Fujino
02-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Where is it? :rolleyes:

ReF
02-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Where is it? :rolleyes:

shooting location is about 25 miles east of Los Angeles, i believe that's the San Bernadino mountain range in the back, where Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead are.

Norm in Fujino
02-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Ah, that's a pretty area. I used to have friends with a cabin at Big Bear, nice memories.

At first glance, I wondered why the shot looked a bit noisy, and then I read your exposure comment again; it's actually quite good for a 20 sec exposure, and considering the compression. I've only done a few night shots with long shutter times, but got more noise than I could stand :mad:
Yours doesn't have nearly so much noise as I would have expected for that long an exposure. How large was the original file size?

ReF
02-26-2005, 12:34 AM
"Ah, that's a pretty area. I used to have friends with a cabin at Big Bear, nice memories.

At first glance, I wondered why the shot looked a bit noisy, and then I read your exposure comment again; it's actually quite good for a 20 sec exposure, and considering the compression. I've only done a few night shots with long shutter times, but got more noise than I could stand
Yours doesn't have nearly so much noise as I would have expected for that long an exposure. How large was the original file size?"

having seen the original photo i never thought that this compressed version would take on the appearance that it is noisy. i just thought of it as smooshed up details. the original photo at 100% is actually extremely clean; i took it at ISO 100. now that i look at the compressed photo again, it does appear to be noisy. i think it's because once all the details are lost it just looks like patches of different colored pixels. i've included some crops to show some of the original detail but i've kept them small so that i'm not taking up too much space. sadly, i did not take this shot in RAW because i had run out of memory space; i had to shoot in the Large/Fine Jpeg setting. this was the last shot of the day that i took, from a spot next to where i parked my car. i had taken this shot many times before but i didn't think it was going to be probably my best night version of this scene. the original file size is only 2.5mb, which is actually kinda big for a night shot Jpeg. which camera/settings are giving you noise problems?

Rhys
02-26-2005, 08:40 AM
EOS 300D with canon 50mm f1.8 lens, shot at f16 20sec exposure, ISO 100
thought i'd post this just for fun. took this shot a little after sunset, just as the lights are going on and before the sky got too dark. decided on this shot as my first post because there already seems to be plenty of daytime shots on the web. the only problem is that it's one of those "small detail shots" and the compression really seems to be doing a number on those details.

That's a very nice dusk shot.

This is one I did with my S1 IS over the local marsh. Unfortunately the bathroom curtain flopped over the lens - this is a single photo from a series of hourly photos done via tha intervalometer.

EAP
02-26-2005, 09:51 PM
shooting location is about 25 miles east of Los Angeles, i believe that's the San Bernadino mountain range in the back, where Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead are.

Ah! I thought those mountains looked familiar... ;)

ReF
02-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Ah! I thought those mountains looked familiar... ;)

so you live in SoCal? which part?

i think the sad part about the LA area is that under "normal" conditions the entire mountain range is hidden in smog and haze. if you visited when the air wasn't particularly clear then you might not even know that there were mountains only 45miles (or less) away!

thanks for the comment, Rhys.

EAP
02-27-2005, 10:32 AM
so you live in SoCal? which part?

I'm in the Glendale/Burbank area. You?

ReF
02-27-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm in the Glendale/Burbank area. You?

i move around a lot. currently alternating between the covina and west minster areas.