PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

EAP
02-21-2005, 04:26 PM
This is basically my first night shot, using a tripod. I took it with my new Canon A95. I had it set manually, but don't remember the exact settings. Anyway, I'd like any constructive feedback you'd have if you think there are ways to improve this photo. Thanks!

Rhys
02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Very nice photo. I don't think it's possible to do much better. Reminds me of a film photo I took of the illuminated fountain outside the arts centre in Riga with my old XA3.

I wonder whether half a stop might have darkened the picture overall and made the water above the lights clearer? Can't find fault with the photo though. Well done.

EAP
02-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks. I kinda liked it, but being such a newbie didn't know if I was missing something that could be improved.

John_Reed
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I tend to agree with Rhys's comments. Very nice shot! Keep on posting?

Norm in Fujino
02-22-2005, 05:03 PM
. . . being such a newbie (I) didn't know if I was missing something that could be improved.

Well since you asked. . . ;)

This is a rather difficult shot due to the high contrast between dark areas and bright lamps. The white lamps in the scene here are "blocked up" (totally white without detail), so if it were possible, I might look in the camera for a "contrast" setting and set the contrast down by 2-3 steps, then try taking some more shots (take several at various settings). You can adjust contrast to some degree after the fact in Photoshop or PSP, but it won't do any good if the white areas are blocked up to begin with (i.e., no additional detail will be visible no matter how much you lower the contrast). In addition, the background wall is dark without much detail, and lowering the contrast would help that. For example, I here tried lowering the contrast quite a bit, and while it helped open up the shadows, it didn't do anything for the bright lamps. (I also warmed the color a bit, which may or may not be appreciated :cool:

http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens/resource/fountain1.JPG

EAP
02-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks, yes, that bright light problem did bug me about this photo. I took about 12-15 different shots all at different apertures and shutter speeds, and the problem was the same in all of them. I'll have to see if I can lower the contrast; not sure if my camera will do this.