PDA

View Full Version : Lithium - Ion

gt47
08-13-2004, 09:46 AM
I have heard the Lithium-Ion batteries (laptop and cameras) have a short shelf life 1-2 years??? Even if only recharged once ..will become useless after 2 years and you will have to buy a new one. Any info on Li-ion batteries would be useful.

Rhys
08-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I have heard the Lithium-Ion batteries (laptop and cameras) have a short shelf life 1-2 years??? Even if only recharged once ..will become useless after 2 years and you will have to buy a new one. Any info on Li-ion batteries would be useful.

Hmm. I have an IBM laptop that's 7 years old. Until it broke about 4 months ago, the battery (which was original) still gave an hours worth of charge. that was a lion battery.

I have a mobile phone with a lion battery that's about 18 months old and performs as well as it did when it was new.

I had a mobile phone with a NiMh battery. That lasted for 3 years before it died.

Alnath
09-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Lithium Ion batteries start to degrade from the moment they leave the factory, some do last only 2 years and some last longer. The only way to make it fail quicker is to constantly discharge it fully as Li-Ion cells prefer frequent top up charges to being fully discharged.

b.j.c
11-02-2004, 11:01 PM
HI there, just got a camera that takes li ion batteries (Pana FZ20) and was wondering about charge methods etc. So it is OK or even good for the battery to top it up before going out or at the beginning of the day?

That means they are the opposite of old NiCds. Li ion does not want to be flattened?

Thanks in advance

Jim Last
11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
This is where HISTORY causes the problems. After years and years of being preached at to fully use the charge in your battery before recharging. It is always hard to change the way we operate, resistance to change and all that :) I have a Pana FZ20 and find that it just loves getting topped up. Same goes for most mobile phones these days as they mostly come with a Li-ion battery. On that I have a mobile that was 2/3 years old and still had no charge issues after a life of topping up.

But at the end of the day everything has a lifespan and batteries are no different. Also the way technology moves these days the likely hood of any piece of equipment outlasting it's battery is quite rare. We have become a society that sees everything as a throw-away item and upgrading to the latest, biggest, better one at the drop of a hat :eek:

b.j.c
11-04-2004, 11:16 PM
OK, thanks very much for that.