PDA

View Full Version : Value of "editors choice" awards

Jeff Keller
02-20-2005, 08:14 PM
For a while I've thought about awarding the very best cameras that I review an "editors choice" award. This will make it easier for readers to find the best cameras on the market.

What do you, the DCRP reader, think about something like this? Do you think it would be valuable to people shopping for a camera? What would your concerns be about such a thing?

Thanks,
Jeff

sherlock
02-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi Jeff,

I think that would be a great idea, especially for the people looking for the best digital camera in a particular class. I think it would really help.

Andrew S.

TheObiJuan
02-20-2005, 10:14 PM
For a while I've thought about awarding the very best cameras that I review an "editors choice" award. This will make it easier for readers to find the best cameras on the market.

What do you, the DCRP reader, think about something like this? Do you think it would be valuable to people shopping for a camera? What would your concerns be about such a thing?

Thanks,
Jeff

great idea jeff. many people just want a great camera for a great price, they aren't concerned with the details. your opinion would easily help determine their purchase.

ReF
02-20-2005, 11:54 PM
concerns:

the best in class award would need to be updated constantly if newer better models come out.

while these awards are a good idea and a good way to help people narrow their search quickly, a single camera that is deemed "best in it's class" might not fit everyone's needs. some people might value different things like good movie modes or low cost. maybe it would be safer to select the best 2 or 3 cams or 1 best cam and 2 alternatives. for example lets say the Canon a95 was best in it's class but someone might value the fast performance and wide angle found on the Fuji 510. you don't want anyone to be angry that you recommended a slow camera and that they didn't know (cuz they were too lazy to read the review) or say that you make lousy recommendations right?

how would you catagorize - by megapixels, cost, size, wide angle, ultra zoom, or all of the above? it certainly will be hard to compare for example the A95 vs fuji 550. the fuji is faster, 1mp higher, has a wider lens, but isn't worth much for night photography/long shutter use and the cost of XD cards are a joke

you may want to stay off the subject when it comes to D-SLRs because
1) you can only choose one or two best models because there are so few models to begin with
2) the body may be awesome, but the lens selection may be quite sad or limited to the point where it cripples the camera's capability.
and 3) you might offend some over-zealous, over-defensive, brand-crazy D-SLR owner with your recommendations (i'm sure we can find a few examples of this).

Jeff Keller
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
concerns:
the best in class award would need to be updated constantly if newer better models come out.

while these awards are a good idea and a good way to help people narrow their search quickly, a single camera that is deemed "best in it's class" might not fit everyone's needs.

The question is, would I need to limit it to one camera per class? I was thinking of using it for all cameras deemed "excellent" by yours truly.

ReF
02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
The question is, would I need to limit it to one camera per class? I was thinking of using it for all cameras deemed "excellent" by yours truly.

oh, i see. i don't see anything wrong with that. i'm just used to seeing only one "editors choice" awarded at a time out of an entire group of reviewed products, as commonly seen in magazines. so i'm guessing would there the a list on the home page then, of all the current cameras that are awarded. and not to assume that you weren't already planning to do it, but it might be good to catagorize these cameras, as i'm sure a total newcomer might see a list of "excellent" but uncatagorized cameras and will ask a question similar to "should I get a Panasonic fz20 or a canon sd300?" it's good to see that the site is constantly improving.

John_Reed
02-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I dunno, Jeff. On the surface, it sounds like it could be valuable, but I dunno. It seems to me that unless you have all the cameras in a particular "class" in front of you, it'll be difficult to make an objective determination of what's "best." It's kind of like answering the question: "What's your favorite movie?" You'll tend to answer with something of recent experience, even though an older movie might rate higher if you had the chance of seeing them both, one after the other. Maybe you could work your way into grading cameras by breaking down attributes like lens speed, shutter lag, zoom range, noise performance, yada yada, and grading each attribute. So, if someone wanted the widest wideangle or the longest zoom, they could easily find that by searching your list.

voomo
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I say heck yes! You see first hand and use far more cameras than most of us. So knowing what someone thinks is the best of many cameras is important information.

Fred
02-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm torn as to whether or not this is a good idea. I guess what I mean is that personally an "editor's choice" award would not sway me unless the reason(s) were listed, and that list agreed with my needs. What feature (s) you felt was worthy of this designation might not come close to my thoughts. So basically for me it still would come down to reading a good, detailed review of the camera in question to determine if it was one that fit my needs.

EAP
03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I would say yes! With as many people as we have on the "what camera to buy" thread all asking the same questions over and over, I think this would be valuable. Especially for the people who are just looking for a good overall point and shoot digicam. Those who want more sophisticated cameras probably need to read the detailed reviews. I would limit how many cameras you choose for an "editors choice" award; the thing that confuses people most is how to choose among similar cameras.

Rex914
03-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm a bit against this but not overly so. Some cameras are truly deserving of an editor's choice award, but people will subconconciously gravitate towards those cameras rather than cameras that fit their needs best. This is still much, much better than a numbered rating system, but I don't see it adding value or trust to the site very much.

Thalas'shaya
03-24-2005, 10:02 AM
in brief, it would be a good idea.

the long version: when i started shopping, i had NO idea where to start. i googled "Digital Camera Review" and this was the second search result, so that's how i found this place. (and boy, am i glad!) i poked around a little, but i was overwhelmed with the number of available reviews. i asked some friends on another web forum where they thought i should start, and one pointed me to the canon a-line, while another suggested the kodak dx7440. so i started reading your reviews of those, and that's how i ended up finding what i wanted. an invaluable tool for comparison shopping was your list of links at the end of each review to competing cameras... it was the only way i knew how to pick which things to compare in the "compare features" view. an editor's choice section would have speeded my entry into the search process.

summary: i think a top 5 or an editor's choice-type award featured on the front page would help people to have an entry point. i would suggest organizing it by "class" in either function groups or cost groups. if they're not into research, they'll take your word for it and move on. if they are, they'll use that as a launch point into the detailed reviews.

mkgago
03-27-2005, 09:40 PM
I think it's a great idea, especially if you give awards in more than the usual categories of price and MPs.

Balrog
03-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Categories - i'd prefer anything BUT price and megapixels. I think 'functional' categories would be most useful .. point and shoot, ultrazoom, action shots, macro shots, etc etc ...
On the whole, I think it'd be nice to see deserving cameras get an "Editor's Choice" recommendation.

mkgago
03-28-2005, 10:43 AM
yup, that's what I meant, Balrog. Also, in addition to the categories you mention, some kind of "all-around" or "general use" prize would be cool, too.

JTL
03-28-2005, 04:59 PM
I am always amazed...

Q: Is it really that hard to pick a camera the fits your needs?
A: Not if you know what you need/want!

A lot of the questions in the "What Camera Should I Buy" thread are from people who haven't even done a basic needs analysis.

What I think would be good is if you took Rex's questionaire and based on the responses, cameras that meet those requirements would appear in a list. That would be far more useful because it might actually get someone thinking instead of just reacting...

gary_hendricks
04-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi,
Yes it would be great to help people in finding there Suitable cameras.Cause as i think it is very difficult to find a good camera unless u r known about all the features.Because Now a days Digital technology is getting cheaper people would like to get in touch in DIGITAL IMAGING with better results.And it is great to be a part on emerging technology .
BYe. :p

grayhair
04-09-2005, 09:29 PM
To be able to go to ONE place and get Best-Of information would be an invaluable tool to the new buyer.
Personally, it took me months of searching for the 'right' camera. Reading reviews, buying magazines, looking at prices at Dealtime and Bizrate, etc.,etc. Everytime my wife and I went to the mall I had to check out the cameras at Sears or Best Buy or Circuit city. It became an obsession.
I had too much information running through my head and not a clear picture as to just exactly I wanted to do with "another camera".

Jeff, your idea of an Editors Choice Award would be greatly appreciated. Even now, after I've bought a number of digital cameras, the grass is always greener...

Thanks,
Dick

One more thing, maybe a separate Forum on filters and adapters. There is a wealth of knowledge out there and a lot of folks who need to tap into it.

haikai
04-13-2005, 12:05 PM
i can understand the convenience of this, but i admit that i also like how you (Jeff) have never really said conclusively that someone should choose one camera over another. sure, it forces people to work to get to their conclusion, but they'll end up learning more that way than just relying on a "seal of approval."

perhaps you could do a monthly updated version of your "favorite cameras" list like you did for the holiday season. i think that is more than adequate as far as ratings go, and you won't have to worry about people asking why such-and-such old camera got an editor's choice award while such-and-such new camera did not.

-hai