PDA

View Full Version : My first submission

Cold Snail
02-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the new feature Jeff.

This was taken one day one with my new D70 last week using a Sigma 70-300 APO lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/Deerodeer.jpg

Comments welcome.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the new feature Jeff.

This was taken one day one with my new D70 last week using a Sigma 70-300 APO lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/Deerodeer.jpg

Comments welcome.

Very nice indeed. Love the way those antlers came out - sharp and crisp. :)

Digideb
02-20-2005, 10:53 AM
I was hoping to contribute to this new feature on the forum. I selected a pic. from My Pictures & waited for it to upload...& waited...& waited... :( After 15 mins., I finally gave up.
I do only have a dial-up connection, but I've never had to wait that long before to post a pic before. Is this normal or am I just being impatient? :confused:

Digideb
02-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I tried again to post a pic. & after another long wait, I got a message that said my file was too large. The maximum allowed for this forum is 117.2 KB, so I went looking for a suitable pic. to share & I see that all my pix are way over the size limit allowed! :( Even the ones I took with my little 2MP "beginner's" camera are much larger than what is allowed.(they are JPEG)
I apologize if I'm overlooking something simple & causing others to suffer through "old basics". :rolleyes: Is there somthing obvious I'm missing here? I suspect I'm not the only one that's "low-tech" on this forum. Others might benefit from some hints on pic posting, too. :confused:

Geoff Chandler
02-20-2005, 01:38 PM
You may want to try resizing your pic. I have only uploaded 640 x480 though I think you may be able to squeeze a bit more. I don't know if the rules are different for this forum - but I was under the impression that it is prefered that we keep the file size to about 40kb. 640x480 + a bit of compression gets you there - though most of the fine detail and quality is gone!
Maybe Jeff can give us a ruling guidline on this??

Geoff

PhilR.
02-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Does anyone know of a downloadable image software program that will allow image compression? I have a few that will allow one to change the size of a picture, but even at 640x480, they are still too large to post here. I'm thinking that perhaps some compression might be in order?

thanks,
PhilR.

Rhys
02-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know of a downloadable image software program that will allow image compression? I have a few that will allow one to change the size of a picture, but even at 640x480, they are still too large to post here. I'm thinking that perhaps some compression might be in order?

thanks,
PhilR.

Which operating system are you using?

Paint will do this on the PC

Geoff Chandler
02-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Depending, I think, on the version - Paint has a fixed level of compression - but I reckon it should suffice.
Geoff

Jeff Keller
02-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I tried again to post a pic. & after another long wait, I got a message that said my file was too large. The maximum allowed for this forum is 117.2 KB, so I went looking for a suitable pic. to share & I see that all my pix are way over the size limit allowed! :( Even the ones I took with my little 2MP "beginner's" camera are much larger than what is allowed.(they are JPEG)
I apologize if I'm overlooking something simple & causing others to suffer through "old basics". :rolleyes: Is there somthing obvious I'm missing here? I suspect I'm not the only one that's "low-tech" on this forum. Others might benefit from some hints on pic posting, too. :confused:

Deb, you need to host the picture elsewhere. I can't afford to host everyone's pictures for free. So try one of the free online photo sharing sites (I'm sure someone here can point you to one) and then you can link directly to the image in your post. Thanks!

Rhys
02-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Deb, you need to host the picture elsewhere. I can't afford to host everyone's pictures for free. So try one of the free online photo sharing sites (I'm sure someone here can point you to one) and then you can link directly to the image in your post. Thanks!

Just a thought but how about a time-out of say a month on messages in this forum which would mean you could get away with 10mb for the forum.

Digideb
02-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Thank you for your response. I had no idea about the burden for you. I'm quite new at this & have mostly only played with avatars,etc. on other BBs.
I'm enjoying this forum as is, posting & reading messages. I just got excited about the new feature & wanted to jump in. :)
Thanks for the great site. I researched & bought my camera through this site. :D

Digideb
02-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, here goes another attempt at posting "my 1st submission". I'm not sure how this will work. I think I found a "confounded" method of emailing the pic to myself then saving it,etc.
Now, it's down to 1/2 the size required here. I hope it'll still look OK. If this works, it looks like I can choose one of my larger file pics., next time. ;)

Digideb
02-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I can't believe it. This low-tech newbie figured out how to post a pic. YEA! What fun! Made my day! :D

Cold Snail
02-23-2005, 12:08 PM
If you right click on the deer image, you will see that it is hosted by Photobucket (http://photobucket.com)
Sign up for a free account and keep the file sizes low and you should get a couple of hundred in there before you reach the limit.

Not bad, one comment on the image. :D

Digideb
02-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the advice & comment. As you may notice, from my posts this morning, I found a "round-about" way to post pics. It may be a strange method, but it works without having to use a photo sharing site,etc.
I hope you don't mind me using your thread for my "1st submission". I was actually prepared for my attempt to fail again & I didn't want to start a new thread & have my "boo boo" be more obvious. :o I see that others are starting their own threads for new pix, so I'll "follow suit". :)