PDA

View Full Version : Perpetual DCRP redesign feedback thread

Jeff Keller
08-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Please put all suggestions and comments about our new design in this forum!

Rhys
08-12-2004, 07:23 PM

I'm using a 1024 x 768 resolution monitor. The site has been designed for use with 800x 600 monitors so I get 2 - 3 inches of grey space on the right. Would it be possible to centre the pages?

Peter Gregg
08-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Finally a place where I can say HI and THANKS for all the stuff I have been reading for the last year. I really like your way of looking at stuff and I think you have a HUGE talent (not that kind) for photography equipment and how it relates to the real world.

The new site looks terrific and it reaks with intuitiveness! It is brand new to my eyes so maybe I can have a comment or two about it later. Meanwhile all I have are encouraging words and gratefulness to offer for the wonderful stuff I have garnished from your writings.

~Peter Gregg

Ben Miller
08-12-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm using a 1024 x 768 resolution monitor. The site has been designed for use with 800x 600 monitors so I get 2 - 3 inches of grey space on the right. Would it be possible to centre the pages?

I was just going to comment on how I'm running the same resolution, but without any gray space, and then, as I was typing, I looked to the right, and there it is. I assume you're only talking about the forum, because I didn't see any wasted space on the main page. The forum, however, does look lopsided. My browser is Safari, if that helps you debug, Jeff.

The redesign looks good! The backseat driver in me wants to make comments, but since I have zero design experience or credentials I think I'll just keep quiet except to say that I like it. And I love how the main spec page lets you know whether there's a DCRP review or not for each camera. A big improvement!

Just a couple of questions: Is your content management system from a third party, or did you roll your own? Did you consider going with a more standards-based layout (more CSS, fewer tables) or does your readership dictate that you stick with a totally table-based layout?

John_Reed
08-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Please put all suggestions and comments about our new design in this forum!Jeff, I just compared 3 cameras to see how your new board looks. I thought that instead of "Average Price," you should maybe list "Lowest Price?" or "Price Range" instead. And a minor thing: The FZ10 does too support conversion lenses. They offer wideangle and telephoto lenses of their own, and third-party adapters and teleconverters are all over the place.

P.S. I couldn't apply the formatting icons from the toolbox to italicize in this post. ;-(

Jeff Keller
08-13-2004, 12:29 AM
Jeff, I just compared 3 cameras to see how your new board looks. I thought that instead of "Average Price," you should maybe list "Lowest Price?" or "Price Range" instead. And a minor thing: The FZ10 does too support conversion lenses. They offer wideangle and telephoto lenses of their own, and third-party adapters and teleconverters are all over the place.

We thought about doing lowest price but usually the place selling a camera for the lowest price is a little shady, so we went with average.

I'll fix the FZ10 listing now.

twin
08-13-2004, 03:18 AM
Hi Jeff!

Nice work on the redesign. Much more modern, now it's a XXI century site design! Now it goes with the content inside!

:D
LOL

Just one minor detail: Is it possible to put some kind of bar/line between the news/days? Now everything is in a column together and it's a little confusing...

If a found any other problem/issue I will notify you...
Keep up the good work!

P.S. - Just wondering: when will begin the 2004 fall announcements of new products? Any clues? ;)

Rhys
08-13-2004, 07:07 AM
I was just going to comment on how I'm running the same resolution, but without any gray space, and then, as I was typing, I looked to the right, and there it is. I assume you're only talking about the forum, because I didn't see any wasted space on the main page. The forum, however, does look lopsided. My browser is Safari, if that helps you debug, Jeff.

The redesign looks good! The backseat driver in me wants to make comments, but since I have zero design experience or credentials I think I'll just keep quiet except to say that I like it. And I love how the main spec page lets you know whether there's a DCRP review or not for each camera. A big improvement!

Just a couple of questions: Is your content management system from a third party, or did you roll your own? Did you consider going with a more standards-based layout (more CSS, fewer tables) or does your readership dictate that you stick with a totally table-based layout?

Yes. The forums suffer a grey gap on the right that's about 2 - 3 inches. It looks very lop-sided. The data pages have something in the grey gap but it still has a lop-sided feel about it - possibly because of the 1/2" grey gap on the right on those pages.

Andy Baird
08-13-2004, 08:27 AM
"We thought about doing lowest price but usually the place selling a camera for the lowest price is a little shady, so we went with average."

Excellent idea. I was always having to caution people not to go for the lowball vendor when I referred them to the "Reviews & Info" section.

Overall the new design is much more attractive than the old one. Good job!

Andy Baird

D70FAN
08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
"We thought about doing lowest price but usually the place selling a camera for the lowest price is a little shady, so we went with average."

Excellent idea. I was always having to caution people not to go for the lowball vendor when I referred them to the "Reviews & Info" section.

Overall the new design is much more attractive than the old one. Good job!

Andy Baird

Andy,

Nice to read your smiling prose again. What's the next project?

Jeff,

Average price is terrific. When answering questions I generally use MSRP and let the reader look for a lower price, but with prices commonly upside-down that does not give a good representation as a $299 camera may low-ball at $259 and a not so popular $499 Camera may go for $249.

Change is good. Very nice job. A few minor tweeks and we be happy.

Charlie Young
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi Jeff,
Just addining my $.02 worth on the new look fo the site. Well done! Two thumbs up! Your site just gets better all the time. A true labor of love.....
Best regards,
Charlie

Jeff Keller
08-13-2004, 10:50 AM
P.S. - Just wondering: when will begin the 2004 fall announcements of new products? Any clues? ;)

Very soon, like next week. I may even have a preview of a much-anticipated, big black camera with removable lenses.

Jake Conner
08-15-2004, 12:51 PM
How big? $8000? Or $1500?

D70FAN
08-15-2004, 11:12 PM
How big? $8000? Or $1500?

It will be nice to have Minolta in the hunt again. The IS feature looks like a killer.

twin
08-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Very soon, like next week. I may even have a preview of a much-anticipated, big black camera with removable lenses.
I can't wait for it!

Are you taking it your big trip to SF? Does it mean that it is a near to production camera or it's just a prototype?

:cool:

Twin

Jeff Keller
08-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I can't wait for it!

Are you taking it your big trip to SF? Does it mean that it is a near to production camera or it's just a prototype?

:cool:

Twin

Yes I'll take it to SF... already took it out this weekend. It's a preproduction camera but I can post photos from it. It's a normal-sized big black camera that replaces something else. I also have some other unannounced cameras to take to SF...

D70FAN
08-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes I'll take it to SF... already took it out this weekend. It's a preproduction camera but I can post photos from it. It's a normal-sized big black camera that replaces something else. I also have some other unannounced cameras to take to SF...

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. Is the Minolta 7D in that kit? Or just the big black replacement for the (formerly silver-grey?) other one.

I love talking in riddles...

Jake Conner
08-16-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't think anything silver-grey is being replaced, but I could be wrong. Might it have the apperance of a big motor-drive, or would this be an optional accessory?

Jake

Jeff Keller
08-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. Is the Minolta 7D in that kit? Or just the big black replacement for the (formerly silver-grey?) other one.

I love talking in riddles...

Minolta, yeah right, I never get their products prior to announcement. This camera isn't replacing the silver one, but is in the same family.

Jake Conner
08-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Ya know, that's helpful, to know it's in the EOS family... because I was really expecting a digital FD. Mm-hmm, thanks.

Jake

D70FAN
08-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Minolta, yeah right, I never get their products prior to announcement. This camera isn't replacing the silver one, but is in the same family.

That's all we need to know. Too bad about the silver guy, he needs an update. So the big guy gets a face lift eh? What more could they possibly do?

Guess we will find out. As always looking forward to it.

twin
08-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Too bad I'm in Europe... If I was in the SF area I would ask to go along with you!
:D LOL

The waiting is killing me. Hmmm... Ok, not really... :cool:

PixChick
08-16-2004, 11:25 PM
I am not bothered by the gray space on the screen but I guess it would be better to utilize the area. One thing I wanted to mention about the new look is that the font size is smaller and makes it more difficult for me to read the reviews. I like the over all design much better, but I thought the old font size was just easier on the eyes. Thanks for all your hard work. I appreciate this site a lot. I find it to be the most useful of all the camera review sites I have visited.

PixChick :)

omr
08-18-2004, 02:32 AM
One thing I wanted to mention about the new look is that the font size is smaller and makes it more difficult for me to read the reviews.
Are you using the Internet Explorer browser on a Windows PC? (If not, reply to this message and tell us what web browser you're using; and mention whether you're using Windows, a Mac, or Linux.)

For Windows Internet Explorer, here are some settings that you can use to enlarge the text while you're viewing DCResource.

In Internet Explorer's "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options". Then you'll see a small gray window, showing the General section of the Internet Options.

Near the bottom-right corner of that window, click the "Accessibility" button. Then you'll see another, smaller gray window (overlapping the previous gray window). This smaller window shows several Accessibility options.

In that window, click on the option to "Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages," so that the option is now turned-on. Click the "OK" button in the Accessibility window, and then click the "OK" button in the "Internet Options" window.

Finally, in Internet Explorer's "View" menu, select "Text Size" > "Medium". Now you should see a larger font when you visit DCResource. The results won't be entirely perfect, but should be usable.

When you leave DCResource and visit other web sites, you may want to turn OFF the "Ignore font sizes ..." option mentioned above. If you leave it turned on, that option may produce a relatively poor display format when viewing some other sites.

-- omr

PixChick
08-18-2004, 03:31 AM
Are you using the Internet Explorer browser on a Windows PC? (If not, reply to this message and tell us what web browser you're using; and mention whether you're using Windows, a Mac, or Linux.)

For Windows Internet Explorer, here are some settings that you can use to enlarge the text while you're viewing DCResource.

In Internet Explorer's "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options". Then you'll see a small gray window, showing the General section of the Internet Options.

Near the bottom-right corner of that window, click the "Accessibility" button. Then you'll see another, smaller gray window (overlapping the previous gray window). This smaller window shows several Accessibility options.

In that window, click on the option to "Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages," so that the option is now turned-on. Click the "OK" button in the Accessibility window, and then click the "OK" button in the "Internet Options" window.

Finally, in Internet Explorer's "View" menu, select "Text Size" > "Medium". Now you should see a larger font when you visit DCResource. The results won't be entirely perfect, but should be usable.

When you leave DCResource and visit other web sites, you may want to turn OFF the "Ignore font sizes ..." option mentioned above. If you leave it turned on, that option may produce a relatively poor display format when viewing some other sites.

-- omr

Thanks for your advice but I'd rather not have to change the settings in Interent Explorer every time I visit a different page. The old site had bigger print and, to me, that was nicer. I can still read this site, but it just was easier the old way, even if it wasn't as nice of an overall design. I have good eyesight and I figured if it was botheresome to me, it probably was for other people too. Especially when people visit the site for the first time, that kind of thing may make a difference in whether or not they actually make use of the info. I know that the organization and ease of use of a site make a difference to me. I won't even bother with a site if It seems too difficult to find/read the info I want b/c I figure there is probably another site that is better. Anyhow, it's just my two cents to Jeff. But again thanks for the idea. It is a good workaround for sure.

omr
08-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks for your advice but I'd rather not have to change the settings in Interent Explorer every time I visit a different page.

Understandable.

If you're willing to try the Mozilla Firefox browser, you'll find that it too has a text-enlargement option in its View menu -- and it works nicely with this particular site, without requiring you to change any additional 'Accessibility' options. Firefox can be found here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

There is also Opera, which I don't personally like to use, but it has a very nice Zoom control which can enlarge the entire contents of any page (text, layout, graphics and photos, everything). If you'd like to try Opera, visit http://www.opera.com/download/ and start with the "non-Java" version.

With all that said, I agree that Jeff would've been wiser to allow all visitors to use the browser's convenient option to display a normal text size. Web-masters love small fonts because they 'look cool' and because they allow more information to be shoe-horned into the page. And, once a site-design is established on a basis of fixed-sized elements, it's a pain to revise the design.

Perhaps that's why Phil Askey over at DPReview has disregarded numerous complaints about this issue, over the past 3 years. I suppose Phil and Jeff have really good eyesight, which is of course a very nice attribute for a photographer, but it shouldn't be a requirement for viewing web sites. With few justifiable exceptions, Web sites should allow visitors to use their computers' intended ability to provide a comfortable viewing experience, not a potentially uncomfortable one.

-- omr

Dougw101
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
When all those who trusted *you* & believed in what you wrote no longer visit here..will you still be happy???

Enjoy your short-term profits! Enjoy your short-term ads! YOU sold your 'soul for a San Fran. Buck'.

Jeff Keller
08-19-2004, 09:30 PM
When all those who trusted *you* & believed in what you wrote no longer visit here..will you still be happy???

Enjoy your short-term profits! Enjoy your short-term ads! YOU sold your 'soul for a San Fran. Buck'.

How does a new site design equal selling out? Nothing has changed. If you're referring to the larger banners, that's what advertisers want these days. Perhaps you've forgotten that it costs over $70,000 a year in bandwidth just to run this site. There are still no popups, popunders, interstitials, etc. The reviews have not changed and will not change -- that's why you came here in the first place, right?

D70FAN
08-20-2004, 11:50 AM

Are you realy serious? When did it become wrong to make a buck (which after expenses is about what Jeff makes on this site).

What adds? Except on the news page I hardley even notice (Doh! Sorry Jeff)

I'm speculating that if you send a check to Jeff for, say, $75K he will gladly reduce (but not eliminate) the add content of the DCRP.

Rhys
08-20-2004, 01:46 PM

Ooh... Do I spot a troll?

blaisejedi
08-21-2004, 09:28 AM
I loved the old site, and the new site is even better. It seems easier to navigate. I have learned so much by reading the reviews, viewing the gallery shots... I like the links to the manufacturer websites too (like the one for the Kodak Easyshare 7590 - I am anxiously awaiting the review, thanks for the preview!)...

BadShoe
08-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Nice job Jeff! I have been a reader for some time and recomend the site often.

Love the make over. Keep up the good work!

John_Reed
08-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Jeff, one thing is awkward about using the icons around the text entry box. That is, whenever I click on one, no matter where my cursor is in the text I may already have entered, the resulting code always gets placed at the end of the text. Suppose I just typed a paragraph, and upon reading it, want to go back and italicize a word or phrase. No matter where I put the cursor, the code comes out at the end of the text, and I then have to cut it from there, and paste it back to where I want it. This also happens with smilies, FWIW.

Jeff Keller
08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Example (http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=2839)

Did you notice that there were images on this page of the camera? Did you see the "jump to images" link? Could this page be ordered better? Like images first, then news?

Suggestions appreciated!

Ben Miller
08-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Example (http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=2839)

Did you notice that there were images on this page of the camera? Did you see the "jump to images" link? Could this page be ordered better? Like images first, then news?
How about AN image up top, right next to/above/below the "jump to images" link? Seems like the best of both worlds:

The top image alerts the reader that the article is more than just a spec list
It also draws attention to the "jump to images" link (otherwise easy to skip)
It doesn't force people to scroll past the images, which are important, but ultimately not as important as the text.

I probably wouldn't have guessed that there were images at the bottom of the article, and the "jump to images" link is definitely easy to overlook.

PixChick
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Jeff,

Did you mean--"Did you notice there are pictures of the camera on this page?" It took me a few reads to make sense of that first sentence. Anyhow, it was a little hard for me to figure out if I would have noticed the pictures on my own, since I didn't see the page until I read your post and I had in mind they were there. I didn't catch the "jump to images" link right away even though I was aware that it should be there. It might help to make the link bigger and maybe a different color so people can see it more easily. If they see it easily, then you in turn won't have to worry about whether or not they scroll all the way down to see the images--they will know there are images because of the "jump to images" link.

I hope what I said above makes sense. If not let me know and I will try to clarify it.

On another note, if you don't mind my saying so, I would like to comment on the layout of the main news page. I don't visit it that often, to be honest, but I was looking at it after looking at your example page. I would like to offer you a few suggestions about that layout. They may be just my personal preference, so you can toss the suggestions if you want--you may not agree with what I say. I will also try to be as concise as possible, but forgive me if this gets long. I was a little confused trying to navigate the page and that is why I am saying all this:

I thought the dates could have been bigger to help people when they are looking for a specific day. I didn't even notice them at first, and then had to scroll to the top to figure out if the date belonged to what was above or below it.

I thought the way you had the "continue reading" links was a little confusing because they have an equal number of spaces above and below them, in between news clips, making the link look like it is floating out on its own and not really belonging to any particular news item. I was also unsure of what I would continue reading if I clicked it (because of the "floating" problem). If I took a moment to think about it logically, I figured it out. I also clicked the link to check. I think, though, it would make more sense to put that link as the very next line after the news clip stops, in place of where you put the "for more, read our preview" link. You could make the orange "preview available" wording in the headline a link to the preview instead, or even put that preview link on the line after the "continue reading" link.

I think it would be helpful to make the "site news" and "camera news" fonts bigger and bolder as well. I missed them a few times as I was scrolling down the page.

Overall, I really think that the fonts are too small. I love this site and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into it, but it makes it much less readable with the smaller fonts. I know how to change them, but I am sure a lot of people don't and won't.

I believe that you gear this site toward the "average consumer" and the average consumer wants something simplistic and easy to figure out. The way the news page is designed, I had to ask myself some questions and think logically about the answers (or even click some links) to figure out how to navigate it. My experience is that most average users wont bother to do that. They will get frustrated and go to a different site. It certainly wasn't the most confusing page I have ever visited--not by far--but it wasn't as easy to navigate as the other pages on this site.

Maybe you don't gear the news page to the average person, and are expecting only more advanced or serious photographers to frequent that page, and in that case, my only comment would still be about the small font size, and I have mentioned that already in another post.

Sorry to be so long-winded!! I just think this is a great site and want you to have it the best it can be. Thanks again for all you do.

Jeff Keller
08-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks to Ben and especially PixChick for their advice. I still hope to get some more feedback before I make any rash decisions, but I'm going to have my designer take a look at some of your suggestions.

As for my original question about the news detail page, I ended up reversing the images with the press release. I figure that people would rather see pictures then read boring press releases!

More to come,
Jeff

heyyu
09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Love the new look. Haven't visited here in awhile, so thought I must have gone to the wrong site. Pleasantly surprised, much cleaner layout, nicer color scheme. Good job and keep up the great work. Anxiously waiting to hear about the Canon S2!

Sam

Jeff Keller
09-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Love the new look. Haven't visited here in awhile, so thought I must have gone to the wrong site. Pleasantly surprised, much cleaner layout, nicer color scheme. Good job and keep up the great work. Anxiously waiting to hear about the Canon S2!

Sam

You're gonna be waiting for a long time! ;)

Sicmon
11-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Jeff
As a low vision user of your site, I was not impressed with the fact that the text in your pages can be no longer scaled, at least with Internet Explorer 6.

I am a big fan of DCRP but now I have to copy your text into MS Word so I can enlarge it. That makes reading your reviews just a little less rewarding.

I would appreciate if you could find a way to let your low-vision audience fully enjoy your site.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work with your reviews,

Miguel

Jeff Keller
11-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Jeff
As a low vision user of your site, I was not impressed with the fact that the text in your pages can be no longer scaled, at least with Internet Explorer 6.

I am a big fan of DCRP but now I have to copy your text into MS Word so I can enlarge it. That makes reading your reviews just a little less rewarding.

I would appreciate if you could find a way to let your low-vision audience fully enjoy your site.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work with your reviews,

Miguel

Did you know that you can override my stylesheet in your browser? There should be a preference for that somewhere. Then you can use whatever font size and color that you wish.

PixChick
11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Did you know that you can override my stylesheet in your browser? There should be a preference for that somewhere. Then you can use whatever font size and color that you wish.

While this is true, it unfortunately changes the settings for all the websites a person views. But other websites are then akward looking with the changes applied to view this site in larger print. I don't personally want to have to keep adjusting my preferences every time I visit a different website. Because of that, I usually don't bother with websites that have a poor layout or seem difficult to read, unless I know I am really interested in that particular site. I will just look for another site with the same info--what I fear many people will do when they visit this site for the first time. I have mentioned this issue before--in this same thread, and I have good eyesight.

Jeff Keller
11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
While this is true, it unfortunately changes the settings for all the websites a person views. But other websites are then akward looking with the changes applied to view this site in larger print. I don't personally want to have to keep adjusting my preferences every time I visit a different website. Because of that, I usually don't bother with websites that have a poor layout or seem difficult to read, unless I know I am really interested in that particular site. I will just look for another site with the same info--what I fear many people will do when they visit this site for the first time. I have mentioned this issue before--in this same thread, and I have good eyesight.

Well, I have two options:

1) Leave things as is and lose a few readers
2) Change things around (costs time and money) for the 2-3 people per month who complain out of 1.9 million monthly visitors.

I hate to exclude people, but I can't redesign the site for a tiny percentage of visitors.

PixChick
11-17-2004, 09:59 PM

2) Change things around (costs time and money) for the 2-3 people per month who complain out of 1.9 million monthly visitors.

I hate to exclude people, but I can't redesign the site for a tiny percentage of visitors.

I don't expect you to redesign the site, but you asked for feedback...I gave it. It is completely up to you what you do with it. Obviously some changes are more feasible than others, but in the future, if you ever decide to do a major overhaul again, maybe you will then consider this issue.

sscorpio3000
02-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Im am avid reader of your reviews, i have some suggestions regarding the actual reviews, maybe of some use:

when you shoot the movies (for cameras which have this option) try staying stationary and film something moving, dont move your self, and find a subject that moves a lot. This applys to those movies shot of the lake or golf course, etc.

also when taking shots in your gallery why dont you try including some flash shots outside or in an enclosure, like a bar for example, sometimes when reading a review i get to the part with the flash review, and get disappointed that no flash night shots were taken for the camera's gallery.

getting back to the movies though, can u please also include the data rate of the movie being shot or if the camera has improved data transfer from the buffer to the card (wider bandwidth) than its predecessor. Just a thought since so many high speed cards are out there, but high speed can mean anywhere from 12x (yes they still flood the market) to 80x (so far). Also if you cant personally recommend a card (free advertising for certain manufacturers) than at least suggest a minimal speed, especially if some cameras dont recognize the higher, and yes more expensive, cards.

BTW i played with the Sanyo C4 digital media camcorder, very very nice, too bad its not sold in the US. Take a look if you have the time, hope you review it if you get the chance.

This was my first thread on your site, the reason i decided to start commenting is because the site is close to perfect, needs just a couple of finishing touches, thats my opinion.

Seb

GlennD
02-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Jeff, I only discovered your site a few weeks ago but really enjoy your camera reviews. I get the opinion that you're giving your readers your honest thoughts and your appraisals are much appreciated.

One thing that I have not seen in any reviews is the warranty information, how long and what's covered. I had a Canon 10D that needed a shutter replacement just two weeks before the year warranty expired so that information is important to me.

I was going to buy my wife a Panasonic FX7 until I discovered it had only a 6 month full warranty. I thought to myself, what are they afraid of by not offering a full warranty so I didn't purchase it.

Sometimes this information is hard to find without actually seeing the camera's paper work.

Thanks for producing a fine web site.

GlennD

StanStan
04-24-2005, 07:40 AM

I'm in the Panasonic world FZ20. I have looked at and have posted a few times.

What I would like to see are subcategories: Like Panasonic/FZ20/case, battery, card, camera technique, etc. Now I see the same subject spread out all over Panasonic.
I have do a search instead of getting to say: Panasonic/FZ20/battery.

What are sticky notes?

Thanks

StanStan
05-05-2005, 08:27 AM
My eyes are not what they usta be!

A bolder font would be very nice.

BTW: A bolder font would not use any more ink than the present font.

Thank u

And I am not going to tell you my age.

DavidA
05-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Listen, I know it's me, but I'm new around here. I've been looking at these pages most of the afternoon, but I can't find how to post a new question.

Clyde
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM

First I owe you a big thank you. When I first told friends I was thinking of buying a digital camera, a hard core camera junky suggested I use your site. I am buying my third digital camera, and thanks to this site, I was able to make good, educated decisions about which camera to buy each time. Your site has always been my first resource, and has directed me to whatever other resources I have used. Also, while some other sites include more technical detail, you manage to reflect an awareness of the detail while still speaking a language I can understand.

Now my suggestion: at the end of your reviews, you link to the reviews of other products that are competitors. It would be nice if that was automagically updated to reflect new competitors.

That would mean that after you review the Nikon D70s it would appear as a link on the Rebel XT review. As it stands, it can be hard to judge cameras against competitors that you review shortly after.

Thanks,

Clyde

(awaiting the arrival of my new XT)

StanStan
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Listen, I know it's me, but I'm new around here. I've been looking at these pages most of the afternoon, but I can't find how to post a new question.
I think the designer wanted to keep new people from posting new threads.
This may not be the fastest way to find that hidden button but here goes:
Click on the 'Forums' of 'Digital Camera Resource Page-Forums' on top left of any page.
Then click on 'DCRP Site Feed Back' thread
Then click on 'Forum Tools' with the down arrow in the heading row
Then 'Post New Thread'
Post Away!!!!!!!!

This is the best site for answers. I swear that there are posters on line most of the time and wait for a question so that they are the first to post an answer.

StanStan
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM

During elections pollsters will check a few thousand voters and can determine the direction of the elections with some certainty.
Please poll the 1.9 million visitors. Many people will not complain but will enter a poll. Try it you might like it.

Rex914
05-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I don't expect you to redesign the site, but you asked for feedback...I gave it. It is completely up to you what you do with it. Obviously some changes are more feasible than others, but in the future, if you ever decide to do a major overhaul again, maybe you will then consider this issue.

To get around this, I use Firefox's nifty feature that forces font size increases whenever you need to. It's like choosing "increase font size" in IE except that it works on px (fixed-size) fonts too. It does distort some of the layouts, but it's much easier than doing what you are doing now (which I had to do in the past too).

BBDI473
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to say this is a great resource and i recommend it to every customer that isn't sure what they want. The revies are awsome, and i sadly can say, i study them every night to help me during the next day at work. I actually assigned our new employees to read certain reviews on cameras. There is a reason why we are one of the best camera departments in the company, and your site is our little secret weapon. Keep up the good work.

raven15
07-07-2005, 09:55 PM
In the "reviews and info" section, where it says "Know what you're looking for? Narrow down the list here:" One thing I would like is to be able to select more options at once. For instance, what if an LCD with either 2" or 1.8" size is ok? It would be nice to be able to select both.

For a good example of this go to newegg.com and go to the digital cameras section, then click on an orange button called "Power Search." You can then specify exactly what options are acceptable. (ex: 3,4,5,6x zoom 4,5,6,7MP, AA or AAA batteries, 1.5, 1.8, or 2.0 in screen).

This may not be easy or worth the effort, but I like it. Right now I go to newegg to do all my camera sorting.

Kenyada
07-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Hi Jeff,
My question has to do with vBulletin. I have a dated discussion board on my 8-year old website, and lately I've been thinking about updating its format. I really like the style and features you've set up on the DCRP. Is vBulletin high maintenance? Can you control the spam and, for lack of a better term, "crazies?" Just curious.

Jeff Keller
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Jeff,
My question has to do with vBulletin. I have a dated discussion board on my 8-year old website, and lately I've been thinking about updating its format. I really like the style and features you've set up on the DCRP. Is vBulletin high maintenance? Can you control the spam and, for lack of a better term, "crazies?" Just curious.

I've very happy with vB for the most part. Setting it up was more of a pain that it should be (it's almost TOO customizable) but once it's running, it just goes. I can remove crap and ban people very easily, though I have to rely on the forum readers to find that stuff, since I can't be everywhere at once.

Kenyada
07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
I've very happy with vB for the most part. Setting it up was more of a pain that it should be (it's almost TOO customizable) but once it's running, it just goes. I can remove crap and ban people very easily, though I have to rely on the forum readers to find that stuff, since I can't be everywhere at once.

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. I'll give it a go.

twin
08-23-2005, 04:11 AM

Jeff,

You’ve got a great digital camera website. But you already knew that! :D
There’s just one thing that annoys me: in the news section, once we’ve selected an article to read, we’ve always to get back to the main page because there isn’t a next/previous button.

Is it hard to implement?
Keep up the excellent work on your reviews.

Twin

Jeff Keller
08-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Jeff,

You’ve got a great digital camera website. But you already knew that! :D
There’s just one thing that annoys me: in the news section, once we’ve selected an article to read, we’ve always to get back to the main page because there isn’t a next/previous button.

Is it hard to implement?
Keep up the excellent work on your reviews.

Twin

It's doable for sure... anyone else interested in this?

Clyde
08-23-2005, 02:43 PM
It's doable for sure... anyone else interested in this?

Yup, it will be especially useful on news intensive days like the canon release of a few days ago.

Thanks!

Clyde

twin
10-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Jeff,

Is it possible to add a column in the "reviews & info" tables with a direct link to your photo galleries? It would help us going directly to some sample images of a given camera.

Another suggestion I have is if it's possible that you order your review tables by the issue they represent instead of the brand/camera name. For example, if the table compares weight between cameras, they should be ordered by that column...

Just my humble contribution...