PDA

View Full Version : Best erasing method for sd?

vodkas
02-16-2005, 08:31 AM
I use a Sandisk ultra II sd card and I usually reformat it (using the cam) after transfering all the pics to my computer. But recently my friend advised against doing so saying he read somewhere that constant reformating can be harmful for the card :confused:
So my question is, what is the ideal way to erase photos from a sd card, deleting one by one in the camera? deleting using computer? reformating? Or it doesn't really matter?

Ray Schnoor
02-16-2005, 08:45 AM
I have never heard of anyone harming a card by reformatting. I have been using CF cards for years and I format the card everytime I put one in the camera. I always like to start with a fresh card. I know that I have at least formatted every card I have hundreds of times and have yet to have a failure. Additionally, I always format my cards in the camera only, and I use them in multiple cameras Nikon 990, 995, 5000, 5400, D70, Fuji DS560.

I know that this refers to CF cards, but I would think that this would hold true for SD cards too.

Ray.

vodkas
02-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Ah great. Thanks Ray!

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 02:57 AM
I use a Sandisk ultra II sd card and I usually reformat it (using the cam) after transfering all the pics to my computer. But recently my friend advised against doing so saying he read somewhere that constant reformating can be harmful for the card :confused:
So my question is, what is the ideal way to erase photos from a sd card, deleting one by one in the camera? deleting using computer? reformating? Or it doesn't really matter?

Reformatting a card is like reformatting your hard drive. No problems there. Just make sure you backup your photos first :)

jaynads
03-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Reformatting a card is like reformatting your hard drive. No problems there. Just make sure you backup your photos first :)

I have heard, however, that not reformatting is asking for trouble. Over time, the data that formatting the card creates (and thusly allows the card to be read) can get corrupted. It is recommended to use formatting instead of just deleting.

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Reformatting a card is fine. It's the same with computer hard disks - I've never had problems reformatting hard disks.

dwig
03-12-2005, 08:46 AM
While I often simply delete the images on the card while its in my PC's card reader, I periodically reformat in the camera. As "jaynads" mentioned, occasionally a card's format gets corrupted, it shouldn't but it does. This can cause a catastrophic loss of images, so as a precaution, I format frequently.

Personally, I've never had a Compact Flash card fail, even when formatted from a Windows machines (I'm very, very careful to use the correct format). I have had SmartMedia cards get corrupted and have read numerous reports of SD cards encountering corruption problems in cameras and Palm/PocketPC devices.

gschoen
03-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Canon advises someone to format their card in the camera (as opposed to using the computer other device) if they experience a drop in capacity. I would assume this holds for other cameras and devices as well.