PDA

View Full Version : Jeff, Is Canon your favorite brand?

Jack C
02-10-2005, 12:48 AM
For all other brands, you only reviewed a couple of cameras; but for Canon, you extensively reviewed all their available digital cameras? You must really like the Canon brand.
Is this true, Jeff? Is Canon you personal favorite? :D

zero
02-10-2005, 06:35 AM
I believe he reviews those cameras that the companies send him temporarily. Temporarily meaning, he reviews the camera and sends it back. If you believe he has a bigger list of Canons, then it probably means that Canon sent him a lot of their cameras for review.

John_Reed
02-10-2005, 08:35 AM
I can't speak for Jeff, but Canon probably has more different camera models than any other manufacturer out there. They cover the dSLR spectrum, the pro-sumer segment, and consumer-level cameras. It takes more reviews to keep up with their fast-moving product line. If you read any of Jeff's reviews, you'll see that he treats all cameras fairly and evenly; I think it's wrong to suggest that he's "playing favorites."

Just for your info, I took a screen shot of dpreview's "Most Popular Camera" list, shown below. Canon cameras take up 7 of 10 of the choices!

Jeff Keller
02-10-2005, 12:32 PM
For all other brands, you only reviewed a couple of cameras; but for Canon, you extensively reviewed all their available digital cameras? You must really like the Canon brand.
Is this true, Jeff? Is Canon you personal favorite? :D

Zero is correct. I can only review what the companies send to me. Canon is proactive and offers me everything, thus they get reviewed the most. Also, there is more reader interest in Canon products, so if given the choice between Canon and somebody else, I'll usually get to the Canon stuff first.

John_Reed
02-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Also, there is more reader interest in Canon products, so if given the choice between Canon and somebody else, I'll usually get to the Canon stuff first.Considering that your "Panasonic" thread has 4,525 posts, does it follow that there is more reader interest in Canon, with only 2,388 posts? (OK, 2,959 including the dSLR board) :confused:

Jeff Keller
02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Considering that your "Panasonic" thread has 4,525 posts, does it follow that there is more reader interest in Canon, with only 2,388 posts? (OK, 2,959 including the dSLR board) :confused:

I wouldn't use that as a measurement. Look at the # of clicks to the camera detail pages... mostly Canon. Also, the Canon reviews are read more than other brands.

Rhys
02-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't use that as a measurement. Look at the # of clicks to the camera detail pages... mostly Canon. Also, the Canon reviews are read more than other brands.

I look at Canon v Nikon. I remember how Nikon used to be the dominant force in photography. Now it's Canon.

I used to be a Nikon man - through and through - but am now pretty dissatisfied with Nikon. Mostly I'm dissatisfied because they're more expensive than Canon and because Canon's system is better thought-out than Nikon's. I'm also somewhat irked that Nikon claims that its system is intercompatible but fails to mention that only the D1 and D2 will function normally with MF lenses.

John_Reed
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't use that as a measurement. Look at the # of clicks to the camera detail pages... mostly Canon. Also, the Canon reviews are read more than other brands.Well shoot, aren't there far more Canon detail pages because of more Canon cameras in the database? Still, the number of readers must have something to do with forum clicks too? I guess your numbers jibe with dpreview's numbers too, for number of clicks.