PDA

View Full Version : Z3 is a HOT camera!

John_Reed
08-10-2004, 01:54 PM
I post this page from the Z3's instruction manual. It was undoubtedly a legal disclaimer, written by a lawyer, but if you take it literally, the user had better be very careful with this camera to avoid injury! I especially like the bit about not handling the memory card or battery immediately after long use, or that pointing the camera at the Sun may cause fire!
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/7165816-M.jpg

D70FAN
08-10-2004, 02:52 PM
I post this page from the Z3's instruction manual. It was undoubtedly a legal disclaimer, written by a lawyer, but if you take it literally, the user had better be very careful with this camera to avoid injury! I especially like the bit about not handling the memory card or battery immediately after long use, or that pointing the camera at the Sun may cause fire!

Not a desert camera. I leave the D70 in the car here (hell, er, Phoenix area) all the time, same for the Sony S85 and the Nikon 990. They have never 'sploded yet. And the pics turn out fine.

Me thinks KM needs to go back for a redesign. Keep in mind that this is the only camera I know of that has a temperature warning icon! :rolleyes:

John_Reed
08-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Me thinks KM needs to go back for a redesign. Keep in mind that this is the only camera I know of that has a temperature warning icon! :rolleyes:I still say this document is mainly a legal disclaimer, except for the "Thermometer" function which the Z3 seems to uniquely have. If the camera, battery, and memory card operate at such a high temperature you can burn yourself, I can't imagine you'd get more than 5 or 10 shots from the battery before it's done, it'd be drawing so much current! And the guy on this forum, walking around Tokyo right now with a Z3, shooting up a storm, hasn't complained about anything like that. In fact, maybe I'll ask him that question, come to think of it.

D70FAN
08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
And the guy on this forum, walking around Tokyo right now with a Z3, shooting up a storm, hasn't complained about anything like that. In fact, maybe I'll ask him that question, come to think of it.

The problem in Tokyo this time of year is humidity. You can almost swim from the hotel to the train station. I think that's why Pentax brought out the Optio33WR and Optio43WR. Not a trial by fire, but by water...

I think we may have had enough fun at Konica Minolta's expense. Hope the Z3 flies, as it adds to the growing number of moderately priced IS ultra-zoom cameras. Hopefully in a years time all of the zooms longer than 6X will have IS. Too bad they stayed a step behind Panasonic by not adding AFI. There's always the Z4.

John_Reed
08-10-2004, 05:48 PM
The problem in Tokyo this time of year is humidity. You can almost swim from the hotel to the train station. I think that's why Pentax brought out the Optio33WR and Optio43WR. Not a trial by fire, but by water...

I think we may have had enough fun at Konica Minolta's expense. Hope the Z3 flies, as it adds to the growing number of moderately priced IS ultra-zoom cameras. Hopefully in a years time all of the zooms longer than 6X will have IS. Too bad they stayed a step behind Panasonic by not adding AFI. There's always the Z4.The guy says there are no filter threads. I looked in the manual for attachments; it looks like they do indeed sell a wide-angle adapter and lens that somehow can mount on the camera, but I don't know about filters or telephoto extenders. A lot of Panasonic camera owners, once they've tasted the big zoom, want even more, like my TCON-17 for example, lots of people have Canon TL-55s, there are some Raynox 2.2X lenses I've heard about. All of these can be cheaply adapted to fit on the camera. It's a nice feature that I hope KM hasn't totally overlooked.

bobjoe
08-11-2004, 04:00 PM
How hot is too hot? I don't get how hot a camera can get. Does anyone know where I can find an actual owner of Z3(must speak english), or in a forum? Got to know if it can be that hot to give burns.

Oh yeah, no one really reply to my other msg. So Z2 is good enough on its own? the other accessories for it is really pointless? :(

Your friendly canadian,

Bob

John_Reed
08-12-2004, 07:11 AM
How hot is too hot? I don't get how hot a camera can get. Does anyone know where I can find an actual owner of Z3(must speak english), or in a forum? Got to know if it can be that hot to give burns.

Oh yeah, no one really reply to my other msg. So Z2 is good enough on its own? the other accessories for it is really pointless? :(

Your friendly canadian,

BobThe sole Z3 user on this forum reports that the dire "burn" warnings are un-called for, in fact he's getting decent battery life from AA alkaline batteries as he walks around Tokyo, so I'd conclude that the camera isn't sucking current like a sieve, i.e., it's not getting HOT. He's never seen the thermometer icon yet. I didn't see your Q about the Z2, but if you had the option of having a Z3, wouldn't you be better off with the stabilized Z3 than the un-stabilized Z2? Or maybe you already have the Z2; don't mean to insult your choice!

bobjoe
08-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Oh, that icon actually never goes on? damn, what a bunch of dumb ass to put that in, that will just scare the buyers.

Anyways, yeah, I have already got the Z2. I didn't have much of a choice. It was the best offer that airmiles allowed me with. I could of get the cybershot, but didn't really want a normal one, want a DSLR.

So any tip for me on using this "junk", haha.

Thanks man

Some dude,

Bob

toxotis70
09-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi, i am a new user of the forum , and i would like to know if and for how long i can take movies 640 x 480 (vga) / 30 fps with z3 in SD memory card (256 mb) .On internet sight of minolta says something for xr (extended) mode for taking movies for as long as you want (depends on the sd memory of course). Can anyone who has the camera (and manual) give me a help ?