PDA

View Full Version : How helpful is the manual for Canon 50D

Spinning
05-16-2009, 05:40 PM
My camera won't be shipped till the 19th. I was in the book store and saw a book specifically for the canon 50D. Would this be worth while? Or can you recommend some other book? Or should I just wait and start with the manual? I am sure I could find most info on line to help learn from but I am a book type of gal!

tim11
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I'd just start with a book that explain the basics like light, exposure... ISO; etc. What lens(es) are you getting with the 50D?

Spinning
05-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I ordered the kit lens, 18-200mm.

TheWengler
05-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I think something that explains general photography basics would be best. You can find lots of that info on the web.

Spookonthe8ball
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Spinning - The manual is fine and you can read it now by going through the Canon site
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17499#DownloadDetailAct
Another good read is about your really good software that comes with the camera. Digital Photo Professional. Version 3.6 is the latest and there is a .pdf download for that too. You will be amazed at what you can do if you shoot raw. I for one recommend that. Even in it's lowest setting (saves space on hard drives) you can set white balance, get rid of unwanted reflections ect. Recently I shot some pics of my 103 year old uncle. My aunts home had some sparkles imbedded in the paint on the ceiling. That showed up as really bright spots on the original photograph. Using the clone tool I was able to remove those three or four glitters on the ceiling that looked like hot pixels. Most good software can do that, but this all comes with the camera, and is upgraded regularly.
When your camera arrives check it's firmware. If it isn't the most current, it is a easy task to upgrade it from the Canon site. That solves many issues the camera had in it's early days.
The above comments by other fine folks are imperative. You must understand aperture, shutter speed and iso as these greatly affect the pics you will produce. Aperture in particular will be much more enhanced on the 50D as say compared to your S6000 Fuji. F2.8 will be a lot different in relation to your depth of field. Shooting your daughter at a distance won't matter too much, but any close up stuff will be. Don't worry it will be fine. Has to do with the much larger sensor in any modern dslr.
Book type of Gal? Try the book " Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It is under 20.00 at many shops. Explains many of the topics I have glanced upon.
Spook