PDA

View Full Version : Geo-Tagging Wedding Pics - 40D, 20D

Mark_48
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
There's a wedding photographer nearby that advertises wedding packages that include geo-tagging of outside shots. Not sure why anyone would want this, but I'm more interested in how he marries the GPS time to the 40D and 20D files. I've got an older GPS I've used for hiking, but I don't think it's possible to grab time and location from this old unit, so I suspect possibly he's using a newer GPS. Any ideas how this is done?

From his website:
"How its done
Each photographer from XXXXX Photo has a GPS device on them that saves time & location information -- called a track. Each camera’s internal clock is synchronized to within 1 second of real time before the shoot. As we shoot the pictures, the camera automatically saves the exact time it was taken. When we go back to the office and do the offsite processing, we have specialized software that combines the GPS “track” information and the time that each picture was taken, and writes the exact location (latitude, longitude and altitude) each picture was taken into the files.

More technical information for technical
Our program uses EXIF+XMP+IPTC tags allow for geocoding information to be stored invisibly right within the image files. It supports JPEG photos as well as a wide variety of other formats. Metadata is written without altering the image quality."

Csae
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Dont the GPS units just add the location information to the picture? The camera adds the date and time on its own asfar as i know, no need for the GPS to do it.

GaryS
05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
They would use something like this: http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2008/02/02/jobo-gps-photo-tagging

Basically it time records your movements with the GPS, and syncs that time with each image's time to figure out where it was taken, and then writes the GPS data into the EXIF. Why anyone would want such a thing for a wedding, I have no idea.

adam75south
05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
you can hook up gps devices with the wireless file transmitters from canon. but that would be a huge pain to carry around or velcro a gps to your camera.
"Can be connected to either an Ethernet, hard drive (storage) or GPS system (with USB connections) "
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520284-REG/Canon_2375B002_WFT_E3A_Wireless_File_Transmitter.h tml

gilly
05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
As if you don't know exactly where you are on your wedding day!??? Chances are the wife to be has probably dragged you there like 10 times to make sure everything is ok, will you EVER forget?

I'm lost. Does he throw in a free solar powered torch with this service?

adam75south
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
i throw in pictures shot in landscape as well as portrait orientation at my weddings. diagonal pictures call for an upcharge though.

FLiPMaRC
05-06-2009, 02:57 PM
i throw in pictures shot in landscape as well as portrait orientation at my weddings. diagonal pictures call for an upcharge though.

And don't you charge more for colors than B&W? :p :D

Mark_48
05-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I was basically wondering if it was a regular handheld GPS that somehow may have the ability to upload it's data to an image file. I doubt I'd buy a special GPS just for photography, but the one I've presently got, I wouldn't mind upgrading if I thought I could use a new one for tagging files.