PDA

View Full Version : WTB a complete Canon 5D MK ll system

57guy
05-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm getting ready to get back into Photography again (after 25 years of point and shoot). My wife and I are headed to the Bahamas in our 55 ft boat around May 15th. We plan to stay over there 1-2 years. I've decided it would be a great time start taking photography seriously again. (I was a wedding Photography 35 years ago). I quit to start "Shutterbug Ads" Magazine in 1972. I sold the Mag about 6 years ago.

I will be in a beatiful setting with extra time on my hand.

I intend to buy the following

Canon 5D mk ll
with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens
with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens
1.4 TC converter
Set of 3 Ex-tubes
2 8 gig UDMA CF card
extra LP-E6 battery
580EX ll flash
ND filters
Polarizer Filters (for bright blue Bahama water)
22" 5 in 1 reflector
I would appreciate any coments on equip. selection and suggestions where to buy this system

Thanks in advance
57guy

PS: I keep updating the above list as I get more ideas

GaryS
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Sweet kit! I would suggest getting 2 CF cards, just so if one gets forgotten in the computer, there is a spare in your bag.

I would also think about an Ultra-Wide Angle, given the class of equipment you are looking at, maybe the Canon 16-35?

For any large purchase, I recommend B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) out of NY. Great reputation, fast shipping and great selection. Can't go wrong.

michaelb
05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Welcome to DCRP. That's one hell of a way to get back into photography. ;)
The 24-70 and 70-200 should have you covered for most things, just keep in mind that that's not exactly a lightweight kit.
Do you have any interest in primes? The 85 1.8 and 100 f/2 are wonderful portrait lenses. The 50 1.4 and 35 f/2 are decent, relatively inexpensive low light primes as well.
I agree with Gary, its hard to go wrong with B&H. Adorama is also highly regarded. I buy almost all my gear used though, as I'm a cheap bastard. ;)

mjsneddon
05-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Guy:

I concur with the others: you are getting in with first class stuff! I, too, would recommend that you consider a lens with a wider field of view (unless the 24mm is sufficient for your needs) - the 16-35 would be an excellent choice.

And since you are going to buy a "full frame" camera, a 50mm F1.4 might be a good thing for very low-light use. But with the 5D, you can just crank up the sensitivity if the light is too low.

And please consider this another vote for B&H. I have dealt with them many, many times over the past ten years or so - they are a first class outfit. I have also heard similar reports about Adorama.

Have fun.

Elisha
05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
24mm is wide enough on FF is it not?
unless he wants to do landscape, 24mm should be good enough i think!

Csae
05-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Gezz, dont just walk back in eh ? Smash right through the entrance.

Great kit from what ive heard, but after 25years of p&s, you will most definitely notice a difference in weight, Especially with those sets. Things aren't at their best in Auto-Mode either. Focusing and Apertures are completely different then P&S.

You should be in for a fun ride either way.

This is not something that should be taken lightly. Get it? Ah.

Gintaras
05-03-2009, 12:26 AM
this sounds like a dream DSLR kit, i would not recommend more that that for the beginning. you will have plenty of time to add lenses upon discovering your own style of shooting. ND would be recommendable for sure, just do not forget to add a good quality tripoid as for many ND filter shots you will have to place camera still.

Gintaras
05-03-2009, 12:34 AM
24-70/2.8 should be very good and enough for wide angle, but it is not super wide. 70-200/2.8 telephoto is one of the best lenses out there giving fast aperture plus lens stabilizer.

However you may like to ask yourself: “what I will be shooting”???

If that will be mostly landscapes and distant then your combo should do fine.

However if you will shoot indoors or in the city then you might want wider angle 16-35/2.8 L-glass which I was told is believed to be one of “must haves” in pro-photographer bag.

Also, if you will shoot most situations in good day light at standard zoom length then I would consider seriously 24-105/4 IS instead of 24-70/2.8 L-glass because of more universal zoom range and stabilizer though that would come at expense of faster aperture on 24-70.

So think about it.

Gintaras
05-03-2009, 12:35 AM
and Welcome aboard here

TheObiJuan
05-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Wow, big pockets.
Count me envious.
I struggled for my 70-200L and cherish her like a near child.

57guy
05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for everyones comment.

If I have any money left, I plan to get the 16-35 f/2.8.

Since we plan to spend the next year or two in the Bahamas on our boat, I plan to be shooting all kind of photos.

Close up of flowers, seascapes, sunsets, Small Bahama Villages, boats, etc

I was thinking about getting a 100mm Micro, but a friend suggested a 1.4 TC would provide me with close ups for now.

I've been trying to get Brian Peterson (which I enjoy reading his books) to have a workshop in the Bahamas.

Thanks Again
Glenn

cdifoto
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Consider the 1D III and 70-200 f/2.8L IS instead. They're sealed. It'll be helpful on the boat what with all that salty air, water, and potential splashage.

The 1.4x TC is an interesting way to go about closeups but I think you'd be better off with extension tubes instead. They reduce the minimum focus distance and don't degrade IQ because they have no glass elements in them.

Rhys
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I recommend IS lenses wholeheartedly. I cannot fault any of the items you plan to purchase. 24mm will definitely be wide enough for everything. I remember 24mm on my 35mm system - so wide I hardly used it.

The 100mm Micro is a good idea but only if you feel you really would benefit from it. Personally, I'd rather go on full-frame for the 180mm macro.

michaelb
05-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Since we plan to spend the next year or two in the Bahamas on our boat, I plan to be shooting all kind of photos...

Glenn

OK, now I'm really jealous. :(

Csae
05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
If you do go with the 5D m2, be wary of the batterygrip and water.

I read about a issue that in extreme conditions, water can accumulate in between the grip and body and damage the camera.

A simple fix would be to cover the slight (and it really is a slight) gap with tape.

I read about it on luminous landscape and their trip to the antartic, not sure how the bahamas would compare, but the boat parts and water parts should compare.

Nickcanada
05-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Can I come too?! hahaha.

That is some great gear, but I'd also recommend picking up a cheap point and shoot water proof camera. You can pick one up for under 250 bucks and you wouldn't have to worry about dropping it in the ocean and if it gets stolen who cares. DSLRs are really great at somethings but they are still not very convenient. Not to mention you would be able to take snorkeling pictures and all sorts of cool stuff..... or you could just add an underwater case to your list for the 5D mII :D

57guy
05-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Nick
I purchased last month a Olympus u Tough 8000.
Its good to 30' underwater and sand proof. I plan to carry it with me when we go diving or take the Dingy to the beach. The problem with it though is, it does not have a manual mode.

For this reason, I plan on getting a Leica D-lux 4 or a Canon G10 when I don't want to carry a large DSLR around town.

I now have the mindset, "No more snapshots" I want ever "Keeper" to be able to hang on the wall.

Hopefully, after a year, I might have more that 1 or 2 Photos on a wall somewhere

adam75south
05-04-2009, 02:35 PM
can't go wrong with b&h or adorama.
also keep in mind you can get underwater housing systems for the 5d mk II if you decide that's your thing.

do you plan to add any primes to your list? i will say the 70-200mm isn't something you'll wanna carry around all day.

photograham
05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
can't go wrong with b&h or adorama.
also keep in mind you can get underwater housing systems for the 5d mk II if you decide that's your thing.http://www.snagpic.com/users/img/3726/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

do you plan to add any primes to your list? i will say the 70-200mm isn't something you'll wanna carry around all day.

Agreed, there is a reason everyone recommends them!
http://www.snagpic.com/users/img/3726/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

michaelb
05-06-2009, 06:53 PM
..i will say the 70-200mm isn't something you'll wanna carry around all day.

Agreed; I prefer f/4 zooms in good light and primes for the low light stuff; saves on weight and my poor neck. ;)

cwphoto
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Agreed; I prefer f/4 zooms in good light and primes for the low light stuff; saves on weight and my poor neck. ;)

Now that's great advice. :)

57guy
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Today I placed a order for the complete 5D mk2 system from Adorama.

I checked prices with B & H and there was not any difference, plus B&H was out of stock on body.
The only thing I'm going to check on is the 24-70 F2.8 lens is not an IS.
The salesman told me that they didn't build IS in a short lens.
Seems to me, I seen one somewhere.

I would like to have a 16mm, but didnt want to spend $1500 for the 16-35mm.
Might look for a short prime lens.
Its arriving tomorrow.

Cannot wait.

Glenn

faisal
05-07-2009, 03:48 PM
What about the 17-40mm f4L ???? I think it costs less than a 16-35mm

57guy
05-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I plan to be shooting a lot of low light shots. I think the 2.8 would be needed.

As I stated before, a prime might be better because you can get a lower f-stop.

jwhite
05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
They don't make a 24-70 f/2.8L with IS. I would have expect them to come out with an IS version shortly. They have the 17-55 f/2.8IS which is an EF-S lens, so they do make them wide angle with IS. Plus the 24-105 f/4L has IS.

57guy
05-08-2009, 09:16 PM
The 5D MK 2 arrived today. Have not did much. Charged the battery and didn't read the Manual.
Took about 30 shots in available light inside the house at night.
Love it !!!

Couldn't hang any of the shots on the wall, but they were great.
Cannot wait to study the camera and start trying to get some "wall shots"
Glenn

Gintaras
05-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Congrats Glenn on your new camera, I am sure you will love this. Spending a year on Bahamas sailing should be FANTASTIC idea when one can afford, I envy. ;~)
Of course you owe us the obligation to post your photos when you dock from time to time so that all of us can grow more envious ;~)))

57guy
05-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Your photo's were great and I enjoyed looking at them. If I every take any photos as good, I will post them here.

Here is a link the town we live in. Its called "Hopetown Village" on Elbo Cay, Bahamas.

http://www.myoutislands.com/bahamas-videos.cfm?utm_source=may09YouTubeEmailMOT&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=may09YouTubeEmailMOT

Hope to get someone to have a "Photo Workshop" over there.
I have a 3 bedroom house and a 2 bedroom boat
Glenn