PDA

View Full Version : My first real portrait attempt

Flossmoor40D
04-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Part of the reason behind the purchase of my 40D was so that my wife would stop taking our kids to the bad portrait studios like JCPenny's and Kids'R'Us for their portrait photos. Below is my first attempt at a formal but fun portrait. This is our daughter Margot at around four months old. I used the wine crate from the Margaux region as a play on her name, plus it is one of my other vises.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3459235487_98eecfc4a4_o.jpg

This was shot in RAW using the nifty 50 on my 40D with some external (non-photo specific lighting) at 1.8, iso 100. No flash used as I don't have an external flash yet, and am not a fan of the on camera flash on the 40D. Cleaned up a few specs and objects off the black table cloth used as the backdrop in Elements 7.0 where I also made a few other slight PP modifications and cloned the 2003 on the wine case into a 2008 to represent Margot's birth year.

Looking for C&C.

Thanks.

faisal
04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
The picture looks great...a nice idea and very well executed...plus she's very cute!!!
The only thing that looks odd to me is her leg in the background, I think it would have looked better with either both the legs showing or none...

Btw you could add the exact date she was born to the crate...

Flossmoor40D
04-20-2009, 12:01 PM
The only thing that looks odd to me is her leg in the background, I think it would have looked better with either both the legs showing or none...

Btw you could add the exact date she was born to the crate...

Thanks Faisal. I have a bunch without the leg sticking up but really liked this one with the leg up. When awake, she is always kicking her legs and that is what this shot reminds me of.

I thought about putting the date on the crate, but unlike Budweiser, wine doesn't list a "born on date" just the year. As I am a stickler for keeping the crate looking authentic/real I didn't do that. But that's what I get for being a wine snob, huh?

Thanks for looking.

GaryS
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I think its great.... My personal preference would be a bit more light on the right side (my right) of its face, but that is just me (a reflector would do it). I like baby shots to have minimal shadows.

But I do like it... The wine box is a great prop, and you captured a great expression.

Elisha
04-20-2009, 12:49 PM
very cute!

Flossmoor40D
04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks Gary and Elisha.

Gary when you mention the reflector, you would just position one to the right of the crate out of the field of view and allow it to reflect the light coming in from the left back onto the subject to help eliminate the shadows?

GaryS
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Yep, that is exactly right. It doesn't have to be a 'reflector' either, anything flat with a white sheet across it will work.

Flossmoor40D
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks Gary.

toriaj
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
A great beginning! The white balance looks way off to me (easily fixed since you shot in RAW.) I hope you don't mind my quicky edit. I'll take it down if you want. But here's a rough idea of what I mean. I cooled it down and brightened a little.

michaelb
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I really like the idea here. The WB looks to warm to me as well. And as has been mentioned a cheap reflector would help.

Dark Cobra
04-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Very nice and imaginative image. Thanks for sharing!

amimaija
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I love it just the way it is