PDA

View Full Version : Time for another hit... or time for me to go to Rehab?

gilly
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
My last purchase for a looong time! (maybe)

Not a real expensive one, just a Canon 35 f/2.

I'd really like a 35L but I'd be sleeping on the couch for the next 10 years after the recent 1DII purchase, oh yeah and the 1.4x Extender, oh and the extra batteries for the 1D and the 5D, aaar yeah and the E1 strap for the 1D.

Well I've promised I'll sell the 50 1.8 Mk1 at least!

Anyone used the 35 f/2? It's got some cracking reviews out there and considering it's price I thought it was worth a try for low light/travel shots on the 5D.

cdifoto
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
You'll be ditching that E-1 soon enough. One of the stupidest purchases I ever made. Seriously.

TheObiJuan
04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I like my E-1 strap, why stupid?
I use it during a photoshoot as security. I'm hanging over ladders, on chairs, etc, and sometimes in trees.
The body clinging to my grip, no matter what, is nice.
I have the proloop strap, but that'll throw my balance off when shooting from precarious positions.

Gilly, I'm itching for this lens as 50mm is way too long for indoor shoots on my 40D.
I think a 5D would make it better, but a 35mm would also do nicely.
I need to see some wide open shots and bokeh shots too.

gilly
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Hate to tell ya Don, but I'm about to order another E1 for the 5D.. It's THAT good. I hate the tourist neck strap!

gilly
04-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Give me a week and there'll be shots in here!

GaryS
04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm with Don, Neck straps FTW!

adam75south
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
my gf picked me up a lowepro neck strap that has memory card pockets and i love it! not as comfortable as the op-tech that came with my used 40d, but still very comfortable.

cdifoto
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I like my E-1 strap, why stupid?
I use it during a photoshoot as security. I'm hanging over ladders, on chairs, etc, and sometimes in trees.
The body clinging to my grip, no matter what, is nice.
I have the proloop strap, but that'll throw my balance off when shooting from precarious positions.

Gilly, I'm itching for this lens as 50mm is way too long for indoor shoots on my 40D.
I think a 5D would make it better, but a 35mm would also do nicely.

Hate to tell ya Don, but I'm about to order another E1 for the 5D.. It's THAT good. I hate the tourist neck strap!
I shoot two cameras and the strap prevented me from switching out cameras quickly. Besides, if you have a vertical shutter button you don't have a strap around your hand for that anyway...so security goes out the window unless you never use the grip button...but then why'd you buy a grip? Oh yeah that's right...so you could attach the strap!

:D

eagle17
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I had the 35F2 and used it for a while on my 20D. I have to say I found the color and sharpness so bad at f2 I thought maybe there was a problem with my camera... I tried it out a few times with no luck so I ended up ditching it and for almost the same money i bought a tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR DI LD... The tamrom is so much better than the canon that quickly sold the canon and shot for a long time with just the tamron... I was also blown away by how sharp the pictures were on my 5Dm2 witht he tamron at F2.8 I really expected the corners to be softer but instead they are very usable. I would also like to say that the tamron is as sharp as my canon 16-35 F2.8L II on my 5Dm2....

as for the strap I always wanted one but never made the push to order it.

I have seen more dislikes of the 35f2 than people that like this lens although there are people that like it. so it looks like if you want one use the same common sense you would use for any lens make sure you can return it or at least resell it if you do not like it.

John

gilly
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I never had any sort of strap on the 30D with grip, the whole time I had it. I sold it with the strap package unopened. I took the strap off the 5D the day I got it, same for the 1D. The only reason for the E1 is just to give my hand a chance to relax a little. I put it on the 5D today for a walk around town. I had the 5D in hand for no less than 3hrs without putting it down and with the E1 it worked great! I shuddered at the tourists passing me with their DSLR's around their necks, bouncing from side to side off their beer guts!

Shooting vertically isn't an issue, it would be if I had a neck strap flopping around in front of me!

gilly
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I have seen more dislikes of the 35f2 than people that like this lens although there are people that like it. so it looks like if you want one use the same common sense you would use for any lens make sure you can return it or at least resell it if you do not like it.

John

Yeah I bought this one from a trusted seller for that reason, it's a real unknown but I thought it's worth a go. Over on POTN there's plenty of people that love it, even after trying the 35L. I've checked out their pics and hit the order button!

cdifoto
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I only ever use the strap when I'm not using the camera. When I'm using it I take the strap off my neck so I can shoot it more freely. To rest my hand I either set the camera down or hold it by the grip with the tips of my fingers, or just sling it on my shoulder.