PDA

View Full Version : Canon 450D (XSI)

mrpolitics
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
In November I purchased a Canon 450D, I am having a problem with the AF (even if I pick the focus point) constantly being a little in front of my subject or behind. I am also having a problem with the images in general even when they are in focus not being very sharp. I know Canon DSLRs are known for soft images but when there is constant blur (even with a tripod and mirror lock) it's too much.

Has anyone else experienced any of these problems, and if your have did you find a solution? My last question is if it is terribly immoral to sell this thing. I would get a new camera without selling it, but I can't afford one.

:(

TheObiJuan
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
What lens are you using? Is this problem with only one lens?
Do you have any images taken of a ruler, focusing on the 6" mark, as a macro, from a 45* angle?
This will let us know roughly if there is a focusing issue?
What f/value are you mostly getting this at?
Does it improve at f/8?
You can host images at imageshack.us and post them here.

jayfixit
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM
...I know Canon DSLRs are known for soft images...

That's the first time I've ever heard that, and have never experienced it with my XTi. Definitely post an image, and let us know the info on how you shot it.

Csae
04-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Without actual images and more information, there isn't much we can help you with.

The XTi is a fine camera and should not be anywhere near as soft as your experiencing.

laydros
04-06-2009, 10:03 AM
I know Canon DSLRs are known for soft images

There are two reasons you hear this, but they are not this extreme. One is that the default profiles (standard, portrait, landscape, etc) are not set with a lot of sharpening. Unless you sharpen in PP most people will want this set higher than the default.

The second area is in high ISO noise reduction. Canon was known for softening a bit more than some might like. This again is a camera setting that can be changed, and is more in older cameras than the 450D/XSi.

Both of these are cases of pixel peeping. When images are out of focus (which might be your problem) then they look WAY softer than the above issues. Canon's aren't any softer than others, just some default settings are.

If your images are really soft, then you probably have either a focusing issue, or it is a problem with shutter speed. If you are shooting people or anything else that moves, shutter speeds need to be pretty fast. If they are siting still you might be able to get away with 1/60th, but probably need faster.

If that isn't the issue, the lens could be out of whack. Have you always had these problems, or was it ok at first?

If it is something like the lens out of whack, it would be pretty immoral to sell it to someone without them knowing. If you explained the problem and they knew, or you sold it to a camera shop who would figure out this problem existed, its ok.

Post some pictures with info on what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are used, and we can probably pin-point the problem.

Rooz
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
In November I purchased a Canon 450D, I am having a problem with the AF (even if I pick the focus point) constantly being a little in front of my subject or behind. I am also having a problem with the images in general even when they are in focus not being very sharp. I know Canon DSLRs are known for soft images but when there is constant blur (even with a tripod and mirror lock) it's too much.

Has anyone else experienced any of these problems, and if your have did you find a solution? My last question is if it is terribly immoral to sell this thing. I would get a new camera without selling it, but I can't afford one.

:(

canon are not known for their "soft images" at all. dont believe all the rubbish you read on internet forums. it is quite eimply that canon and nikon default to vey little in camera sharpening.

you need to post some samples if you genuinely want some help otherwise it comes across as a whinging thread with no purpose other than to whinge.

and YES it is absolutely "immoral" to be selling a camera that you KNOW is faulty without advising prospective buyers.

devin
04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
You're not shooting in JPEG are you? The defaults for JPEG on the 450D are quite soft. Even maxed out they aren't very good.

Marburg
04-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Well I had a camera store test a specific set of lens for just that problem. The lens was the canon 55-250 is. In every case there was a focus issue even with AF and there was vignetting. They tried every single lens of that model that they in stalk on 5-6 of their 450D camera and had the issue every time. They switched my lens to a higher model at no addional cost and shipped the original lens back to canon for testing. It was their belief that there is a defect in the lens. So, if that is your lens then you might have the same problem.

I also agree with devin. I get sharper images shooting in RAW and with manual focus.
Marburg