PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Experiment...

faisal
04-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Planning to purchase a 85mm f1.8 second hand. The seller has let me borrow it for how much ever time I want. So was testing it with my niece as a model yesterday. I like the lens(and surely buying it) but hate my post processing. I followed an online short post processing tutorial(and added a bit of my own to it also). Wanted C&C on it....

So Here's the original...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Mariam/IMG_9338_original.jpg
85mm, 1/100, f3.5, ISO 200

Here's the edited versions....

1)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Mariam/IMG_9338.jpg

2)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Mariam/IMG_9338_2.jpg

Not much of a difference but what I'd like to know is does the edits look any good....any pointers to where I can improve

Flossmoor40D
04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Not much of a difference but what I'd like to know is does the edits look any good....any pointers to where I can improve

I prefer #1 over #2. The skin tone on #2 seems very pale to me. I can't offer any technical pointers as I am still very much learning how to edit my own photos. My only advice would be, you know the subject, we don't, trust your gut and go with what looks/feels most like your niece.

gilly
04-02-2009, 09:29 AM
yeah 1 is heaps nicer on the skin tone Faisal. I think the 1st one is a good edit all round.

Enjoy the 85mm. It's quickly becoming my favourite lens!

Mark_48
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I prefer #1 also. Below is a slight edit I did. A minor tweak was done to the levels and contrast. I also used the blur tool under the eyes and on the cheek lines to soften the look a bit.
(I will remove the posted image if you wish)

Nickcanada
04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I like the original better too.

faisal
04-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I prefer #1 over #2. The skin tone on #2 seems very pale to me. I can't offer any technical pointers as I am still very much learning how to edit my own photos. My only advice would be, you know the subject, we don't, trust your gut and go with what looks/feels most like your niece.

The first edit is closer to my nieces skin tone but I'm not aiming for that. This is just an example and I'm trying to achieve pp skills that add the WOW factor to a portrait.

yeah 1 is heaps nicer on the skin tone Faisal. I think the 1st one is a good edit all round.

Enjoy the 85mm. It's quickly becoming my favourite lens!

I'm enjoying it...just not too happy with its not so good low light focusing..

I prefer #1 also. Below is a slight edit I did. A minor tweak was done to the levels and contrast. I also used the blur tool under the eyes and on the cheek lines to soften the look a bit.
(I will remove the posted image if you wish)

#1 as in the first edited one or the original on the page???
I don't mind the image you've posted but is it a edit of the original??
I never though of using the blur tool...Usually prefer not messing around with the creases or blemishes on the face though blurring them is a good idea...:)

I like the original better too.

So my edits are crap..... :p ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!!

Mark_48
04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
#1 as in the first edited one or the original on the page???
I don't mind the image you've posted but is it a edit of the original??
I never though of using the blur tool...Usually prefer not messing around with the creases or blemishes on the face though blurring them is a good idea...:)

Oops, I didn't notice the numbers :o. It was the "original" I prefered and that was the one I tweaked a bit.

Your edits are what you percieved as more true to the likeness of your subject, so as for being crap, nope. Perhaps playing with the blur tool on your #1 edit may take the edge off her facial expression.

Beowulff
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I hate to say it Faisal, but I too prefer the out-of-camera shot. Sorry.

I do agree with using the 'blur' tool or the 'clone' tool for people's skin though. And of course, it's also more difficult to comment meaningfully when you haven't seen the subject live.

One other point if I may: Purely as an objective study, and because the little girl is (apparently) having fun with the dobs of ice-cream(?) on her face she should be smiling! To my eye, she looks a little worried and/or 'afraid' of the camera. Her facial expression should help 'tell the story' that you're trying to capture. If she was mucking around, then your image needs to reflect that smiling, giggling, looking coy or mischievous etc. (And please excuse me if I've got that totally wrong!)

And again, it's only my opinion, but I'd like to see a lot more bokeh in the background too. I don't need to see the divan and the coffee table and the carpet, rather just hints of colour blocks.

Hope this helps :)

cdifoto
04-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to achieve pp skills that add the WOW factor to a portrait.
The WOW factor is (usually) in the lighting, not the post-processing.

Rooz
04-02-2009, 03:25 PM

give that man a cigar

TheObiJuan
04-02-2009, 04:16 PM
The background blur is ruined in the first edit.
I like the original, it just needs a little more punch and pulling back of the highlights.

Rooz
04-02-2009, 11:45 PM

lol i wouldnt be too hard on yourself buddy. i think you;ve fallen int oa trap alot of people do whcih is over manipulation of an image. the eyes in particualr in your edits are really overprocessed, i dont like it at all.

most importantly though, in all brutal honesty, to me, its just a really nice a snapshot of a portrait with very good exposure but without any real WOW factor to begin with. and as don pointed out, if the original dont have the WOW then the PP certianly aint gonna give it to you.

get that cheeky gorgeous little girl outside against some nice plain backgrounds.

faisal
04-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I hate to say it Faisal, but I too prefer the out-of-camera shot. Sorry.

I do agree with using the 'blur' tool or the 'clone' tool for people's skin though. And of course, it's also more difficult to comment meaningfully when you haven't seen the subject live.

One other point if I may: Purely as an objective study, and because the little girl is (apparently) having fun with the dobs of ice-cream(?) on her face she should be smiling! To my eye, she looks a little worried and/or 'afraid' of the camera. Her facial expression should help 'tell the story' that you're trying to capture. If she was mucking around, then your image needs to reflect that smiling, giggling, looking coy or mischievous etc. (And please excuse me if I've got that totally wrong!)

And again, it's only my opinion, but I'd like to see a lot more bokeh in the background too. I don't need to see the divan and the coffee table and the carpet, rather just hints of colour blocks.

Hope this helps :)

dobs of moisturiser cream.... ;)

As she gets older, her smile when looking at the camera gets frozen to this...unless I manage to capture her in spy mode (i.e when she doesn't realise I'm taking her photo). So I agree....the expression ain't too great....

Then I shall order those cheap wireless flash trigger/receiver for now cause I can't afford a 580EXII right now....

The background blur is ruined in the first edit.
I like the original, it just needs a little more punch and pulling back of the highlights.

Will look into that.....

faisal
04-03-2009, 12:19 AM
lol i wouldnt be too hard on yourself buddy. i think you;ve fallen int oa trap alot of people do whcih is over manipulation of an image. the eyes in particualr in your edits are really overprocessed, i dont like it at all.

most importantly though, in all brutal honesty, to me, its just a really nice a snapshot of a portrait with very good exposure but without any real WOW factor to begin with. and as don pointed out, if the original dont have the WOW then the PP certianly aint gonna give it to you.

get that cheeky gorgeous little girl outside against some nice plain backgrounds.

Unfortunately once outside I'll need to glue some Canon blazing L lens on a Nikon D3x...you know how they get once hyper excited.... ;)

I'm just trying things outs....got a confirmed (atlast!) shoot with a couple who are flying in on the 12th from somewhere on holiday to Dubai and want their pictures taken...though they're more interested in the Industrial look of images....

EDIT: My effort with a different image

Original
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Mariam/IMG_9339.jpg
85mm, 1/100, f2.2, ISO 200

Edit
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Mariam/IMG_9339_edit1.jpg

danidabi
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
^^Thats a cute pic, I really like the perspective of the shot more then the first pic you posted. Your niece (right?) is adorable as always in her pics!!

I have 2 comments and am in no way as experienced as the others here, I'm a rookie for sure when it comes to PP. But I think that the skin smoothing you did looks good but I find that forehead looks off?? I see that you smoothed the skin in between the eyebrows but didn't do the rest of the forehead so I see a noticeable vertical "blur" line. I would maybe only blur the skin and not the eyebrows? The main thing for my though is the left eye, I agree with brightening the eye but now I find the reflection in the left eye to be really distracting....but that could just be me:)

As always I enjoy your pics and your a great inspiration!!

michaelb
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I hate to say it Faisal, but I too prefer the out-of-camera shot. Sorry....
Ditto.....

Love the above shot faisal, although I like the unprocessed version again. But don't take that as an insult - I would be very happy if I so all my images were so good as to require no PP!!! :D

Honest Gaza
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
So I guess the question is....when do we need to Post-Process ?

It would appear that PP for the sake of PP is not always best. I can understand it for "Glamour" portraits......but with kids, let's let kids be kids :)

michaelb
04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
...It would appear that PP for the sake of PP is not always best. I can understand it for "Glamour" portraits......but with kids, let's let kids be kids :)

Agreed, on both counts. ;)

The above shot is very good as is, I would only reduce the saturation a bit.

Rooz
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
EDIT: My effort with a different image

Original

85mm, 1/100, f2.2, ISO 200

Edit

this is a much more creative and interesting shot. very, very nice but agauin, i prefer the original.

Spookonthe8ball
04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Your equipment works just fine Faisal. The original out of camera is the better of the lot. ( Great settings on your part )That is why you have a quality lens to reproduce what ya see. Processing it further results in the above comments. That is not to say you can't keep a copy you like. That Canon is powerfull, but it is up to you to control that degree.
Spook

faisal
04-04-2009, 11:19 AM
^^Thats a cute pic, I really like the perspective of the shot more then the first pic you posted. Your niece (right?) is adorable as always in her pics!!

I have 2 comments and am in no way as experienced as the others here, I'm a rookie for sure when it comes to PP. But I think that the skin smoothing you did looks good but I find that forehead looks off?? I see that you smoothed the skin in between the eyebrows but didn't do the rest of the forehead so I see a noticeable vertical "blur" line. I would maybe only blur the skin and not the eyebrows? The main thing for my though is the left eye, I agree with brightening the eye but now I find the reflection in the left eye to be really distracting....but that could just be me:)

As always I enjoy your pics and your a great inspiration!!

I used some freebie cs3 add-on for smoothing the skin...
And thanks....

Ditto.....

Love the above shot faisal, although I like the unprocessed version again. But don't take that as an insult - I would be very happy if I so all my images were so good as to require no PP!!! :D

Thanks...it was a fluke shot...she as running towards me and I managed to click this and it ended up being sharp...

So I guess the question is....when do we need to Post-Process ?

It would appear that PP for the sake of PP is not always best. I can understand it for "Glamour" portraits......but with kids, let's let kids be kids :)

she's a test subject...I'd be crazy to want to glamorise her pictures.... :)

this is a much more creative and interesting shot. very, very nice but agauin, i prefer the original.

hmm...so this lens is totally a keeper....

Your equipment works just fine Faisal. The original out of camera is the better of the lot. ( Great settings on your part )That is why you have a quality lens to reproduce what ya see. Processing it further results in the above comments. That is not to say you can't keep a copy you like. That Canon is powerfull, but it is up to you to control that degree.
Spook

hmm...I get it....thanks!!!