PDA

View Full Version : Eat it, anti-flash biatches!

cdifoto
03-29-2009, 01:32 AM
OK so they're not amazing. But hey whatever. This wedding really kicked my ass for some reason, and I really didn't get anything great.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/wed/2009-03-28-0266.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/wed/2009-03-28-0523.jpg

Viky
03-29-2009, 02:37 AM
#1 is pretty clean for ISO 1600 and looks great until you notice the sulking expression on the bride's face..

TheObiJuan
03-29-2009, 02:54 AM
...until you notice the sulking expression on the bride's face..

That's because she notices he's not using flash.
:D

cdi, good photos despite not being up to your standard.

Rooz
03-29-2009, 04:04 AM
That's because she notices he's not using flash.
:D

yes he was.:)

24Peter
03-29-2009, 10:12 AM
#1 is pretty clean for ISO 1600 and looks great until you notice the sulking expression on the bride's face..

Agreed. But -Liquify filter! - turn those frowns upside down!

cdifoto
03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
lol. She's not sulking. That's just how she looks "in the moment." I think.

Elisha
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
looks constipated!

cdifoto
03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I was wrong. Found a better one and swapped it out.

adam75south
03-30-2009, 12:34 PM
i liked the first one better. crazy bokeh!

Csae
03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
This wedding really kicked my ass for some reason

Do i smell a wedding horror story ? Please do tell :D

cdifoto
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Do i smell a wedding horror story ? Please do tell :D
No real horror story I'm afraid. Just for some reason I couldn't get it together. I got the standard/key shots that only the couple cares about just fine but couldn't pull out anything more.

TheObiJuan
03-30-2009, 02:16 PM
No real horror story I'm afraid. Just for some reason I couldn't get it together. I got the standard/key shots that only the couple cares about just fine but couldn't pull out anything more.

It's probably their first wedding, so they likely don't know any better. :p
You did just fine, I'm sure of it.

cdifoto
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah true enough. LOL.

The upside is I was just seconding again so it's not critical that I'm uber-creative. I also skipped out on the formals and "posed candids" altogether to get a head start on the reception details & set up my lights, which I couldn't use anyway because the feet had shorts in them.

Nickcanada
03-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice shots! I just got my ass kicked at a wedding too. :( I have met bridezilla.....

cdifoto
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice shots!
Thanks. You're lying though. :p

I just got my ass kicked at a wedding too. :( I have met bridezilla.....I hear ya. This one was actually pretty sweet so I don't know what caused the day to be so bad for me. Maybe it's just that I'm frustrated with things looking so ho-hum when in the 2nd position. I suck ass at candids so I can't really shine there. Doesn't seem to matter how much experience I get with it, I can't do stealth to save my life.

Feel free to vent your story, amigo. Through PM if you prefer privacy.

michaelb
03-30-2009, 06:17 PM
...I just got my ass kicked at a wedding too. :( I have met bridezilla.....
Do tell! ;)

Nickcanada
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm not lying!... I'm being nice.

I'm just feeling like nothing is working lately! I can't do formals, candids, nothing! My freaking focus is off, mentally and literally.

The trip was great, I went there with some really close friends (groom's sister and husband). Everything wedding related was complicated and awkward. I wasn't allowed to be involved with the wedding planning meeting, when we took a walk around the resort to scout locations my wife (and assistant) wasn't allowed to come etc. etc. When anyone asked about any details they were sternly told they would be "briefed" the night before the wedding. The first thing said at the "briefing" was that after the briefing no one was to ask her anymore questions, that you (the wedding party) were to take care of everything from that point on.... so at this briefing I was told there might be another wedding photographer from the resort. He was only going to be taking 12 photos of the reception. I thought no big deal probably some dude with an s3... until the photographer shows up at the brides room to take bridle photos, wearing camo shorts and a t shirt... oh and a 5D MK II with a 580 EX II and a.... get this.... a 100-400mm lens?? wtf?.... This guy ends up standing in front of the bride and groom at the ceremony the entire time, so I got zero shots of them. Later the groom says ya he didn't get any good shots, so we'll just use yours....

After the first set up location shot I hear someone ask her how she was doing, "I just want to get the F#$# out of here" was her reply.

Despite all that, my wife and I got lots of compliments on how well we worked together which was nice. I did get to play with my radio triggers, which worked flawlessly btw.

Both sets of parents were fantastic. The father of the groom paid for my scooter ride and the mother of the bride gave me and my wife a big hug when they left.

Anyway even though I've got lots of excuses for not getting good shots I feel like I should have and could have done so much better and that feels like a reoccurring theme with my work lately.... which is the most disheartening thing of all!!

Elisha
03-30-2009, 06:51 PM
that sucks dude. was the resort photographer a local or was he brought in to Mexico for the wedding?

michaelb
03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Nick - sorry man, that sounds like a total nightmare!! Doesn't sound like any of it was your fault though. When I saw that photo my first thought was "man, she looks like real bitch". ;)

100-400!! - I agree - WTF?

I'm so glad I shoot landscapes. :D

downtrodden
03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow must have been a bad couple of weeks for a wedding. I shot a wedding and it was miserable.

But- I didn't know I was going to the wedding until I was already on my way there! One of my buddies picked me up and when i asked where we were going he said "john's getting married dude!" (buddy since highschol) so i decided to bring my gear and see what I could walk away with. I got the important shots alright but nothing stellar.

cdifoto
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm not lying!... I'm being nice.

I'm just feeling like nothing is working lately! I can't do formals, candids, nothing! My freaking focus is off, mentally and literally.

The trip was great, I went there with some really close friends (groom's sister and husband). Everything wedding related was complicated and awkward. I wasn't allowed to be involved with the wedding planning meeting, when we took a walk around the resort to scout locations my wife (and assistant) wasn't allowed to come etc. etc. When anyone asked about any details they were sternly told they would be "briefed" the night before the wedding. The first thing said at the "briefing" was that after the briefing no one was to ask her anymore questions, that you (the wedding party) were to take care of everything from that point on.... so at this briefing I was told there might be another wedding photographer from the resort. He was only going to be taking 12 photos of the reception. I thought no big deal probably some dude with an s3... until the photographer shows up at the brides room to take bridle photos, wearing camo shorts and a t shirt... oh and a 5D MK II with a 580 EX II and a.... get this.... a 100-400mm lens?? wtf?.... This guy ends up standing in front of the bride and groom at the ceremony the entire time, so I got zero shots of them. Later the groom says ya he didn't get any good shots, so we'll just use yours....

After the first set up location shot I hear someone ask her how she was doing, "I just want to get the F#$# out of here" was her reply.

Despite all that, my wife and I got lots of compliments on how well we worked together which was nice. I did get to play with my radio triggers, which worked flawlessly btw.

Both sets of parents were fantastic. The father of the groom paid for my scooter ride and the mother of the bride gave me and my wife a big hug when they left.

Anyway even though I've got lots of excuses for not getting good shots I feel like I should have and could have done so much better and that feels like a reoccurring theme with my work lately.... which is the most disheartening thing of all!!
Wow that's bad. I feel the same way when I think I failed. I can ring up a whole ton of excuses but I also feel like it's lame to do so. I should be able to kick ass no matter what.

Instead, I'm a schmuck.

I do have to admit that Saturday had some high spots. An older man came over to me and got my attention because he and his family combined their tables to get this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/wed/2009-03-28-0679.jpg

And it was definitely a party:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/wed/2009-03-28-0797.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/cdifoto/wed/2009-03-28-0809.jpg

Csae
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Man i dont know about you micheal, but i meet cloudzillas alot these days :(

Sounds like some bad times for a wedding :o Then again maybe you guys are just getting too damn picky :P

I saw this video a little while ago, and i think you guys need to take a moment to watch it, its a bit slow to start but its WELL worth the watch.

http://www.blip.tv/file/1785698

You're all welcome :P

Rasidel Slika
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
do you do this for a living?

cdifoto
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Sounds like some bad times for a wedding :o Then again maybe you guys are just getting too damn picky :P

I saw this video a little while ago, and i think you guys need to take a moment to watch it, its a bit slow to start but its WELL worth the watch.

Your all welcome :P

Great video! :)

What's the purpose of this question?

Nickcanada
03-31-2009, 06:36 AM

I don't............

Nickcanada
03-31-2009, 06:37 AM

You're all welcome :P

That's a great video! lol

Nickcanada
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Nick - sorry man, that sounds like a total nightmare!! Doesn't sound like any of it was your fault though. When I saw that photo my first thought was "man, she looks like real bitch". ;)

100-400!! - I agree - WTF?

I'm so glad I shoot landscapes. :D

When I first saw that pic I thought it looked like one of the pictures Jamie posted a while back and I couldn't help but smile. ( image #6 (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=315432&postcount=1))

That picture is also kinda the result of me reading a book/essay written by Susan Sontag called "On photography" it's an artsy fartsy look at photography and the motivations and purpose of taking photos etc. I've been less interested in getting people to "smile" and more interested in just capturing the mood and feel of the day... unfortunately I picked a bad wedding to try that at. When I saw that picture I felt like it was one of the only honest looks I got.

I had asked her to look away and than said look at me, and then I snaped the pic.

Nickcanada
03-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Another part of my problem is how honest should I be with the images?? Obviously I try not to take pictures of people when they look awkward or have a funny look on their face but what about honest emotion??

I think this is a strong image and very moving but it's not really wedding appropriate.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/nickandaline/testing/_MG_8590.jpg

this is probably more appropriate, but it just doesn't feel right....

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/nickandaline/testing/_MG_8577.jpg

I think the first image is more beautiful and emotional but I can't use it!

michaelb
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Another part of my problem is how honest should I be with the images?? Obviously I try not to take pictures of people when they look awkward or have a funny look on their face but what about honest emotion??
I think this is a strong image and very moving but it's not really wedding appropriate.

I think the first image is more beautiful and emotional but I can't use it!

Yea Nick, I love these sort of candids, but I agree that depending on the shot many of them are probably not "wedding appopriate". I'm not very good at photographing people (I think I'm just not "gutsy" enough to really try).