PDA

View Full Version : Various Equipment Questions...

downtrodden
03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Ok, so i'm looking to round out my kit and her esoon this is what it will look like:

40D or 50D- maybe both, one will have battery grip at all times .
17-55 F2.8 IS
70-200 F2.8L IS
Sigma 28mm F1.8
Canon 50mm F1.8
B+W Kaesemann CPL 77mm

NOW... please excuse me while i ramble a little while and hopefully convey my questions/ confusion.

1. Flash:
I'm not sure where I want to go with flash- Is there something cheaper than the 580 that still has a rotating head and will mount to my body? I've also thought about *MAYBE* mounting the flash to a tripod for bounce shots etc. Now, what will be the best way to do this and get the most bang for the buck without breaking the bank?

2. Filters!
Ok, The only filters i've ever had any sort of experience with are Circular Polarizers and I already have the one of my choice on the way so is there anything else I should be looking at? No UV or clear protectors because I don't like having them on my lenses (i know i may one day regret this decision). I don't do a lot of landscapes- I prefer people/ portraits so filters which could help in that regard would be better. I had thought about some sort of warming filter for skin tones, thoughts?

I will also need something to hold my filters, some sort of small case which can be easily accessed for easy filter swapping and which will easily fit in a camera bag.

Which brings me to my next need...

3. Bag!
I need a new camera bag, i know i definitely want a backpack, so please don't suggest a single strap, over the shoulder style. It obviously needs to hold all the above mentioned items plus a future Macro lens, batteries, chargers, portable hard drive, mem. cards you know the usual. I would also like this to be my normal travel/ carry on bag, so a small space for a small amount of non camera items like a book, toothbrush/ paste, maybe a change of clothes or at least clean socks... would be appreaciated.

Also something comfortable. I had a two mile hike over rough terrain to a potential shooting location the other day and it sucked lugging all my gear.

I browsed bags on BH and adorama for hours the other day and there are just so many to choose from and many did not have photos of the bag both opened and closed, which didn't seem very helpful.

I also need a lens hood that will fit in my bag, the one that came with my 24-70 just doesn't fit very well, anyone know of any quality models that fold in some way? like rubber or something?

Can anyone think of anything else I could be looking into? I want to get as much as I can out of the way to round out my kit before summer- and I don't want to realize later I forgot something fun/ useful or .... good... :X

Alright.. i'm done rambling now, if you're still with me, thanks.

Stay sweet Billy.

toriaj
03-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I really like the Lowepro backpacks, and they make them in all sizes so I'm sure you can find one big enough for your extra stuff. You really do need to go to a store and play with them (I know, just like we always tell people who want to know which camera to buy.) IMO it's actually more important for bags :D take all your camera stuff and put it in there. Try on the bag, look in the mirror, the whole bit. You'll find the right one. Congrats on getting all your new stuff, hope to see more results :)

downtrodden
03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah Tori, the problem is i've not found a camera store nearby that carries any sort of back packs :X

TheObiJuan
03-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Crumpler Whickey & Cox?
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/crumpler.jpg

michaelb
03-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Bag - I use the cheap Canon backpack and I really like it. Yesterday I carried my 5D, 24-105, 70-200 f/4, Sigma 100, 17-40, 50 1.4 without a problem. The bag is very inexpensive and I have abused the crap out of it without a problem yet. There are tons of good bags out there though.

Filters - for people? I don't think most people use them for portraits nowadays to be honest. For landscapes I use CP's and ND grads.

Flash - How about the 430 EX?

Mark_48
03-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Trying to buy a bag/backpack without looking at it is tough. I did that and ended up with one backpack that would hold all the gear I wanted to carry, but is so big I seldom use it. Ended up getting a smaller one later.

Couple of review sites may help in deciding...
http://www.cambags.com/
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Bag-and-Lens-Case-Reviews.aspx

If you should happen to decide on a Lowepro backpack, this ebay seller used to have pretty good prices. I've bought several items from him and he's been quick to ship.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Sell-N-Send_Camera-Backpacks_W0QQ_fsubZ9QQ_sidZ99478018QQ_trksidZp463 4Q2ec0Q2em322

As Michael suggested, the 430EX might be a good choice for a flash. Compare the features between the 580EX and 430EX before you make a decision. You may find that the extra power and a few of the features may be worth the additional $$$. Depends somewhat on what you plan to do with it.

downtrodden
03-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Mark: Thanks for the review sites that should help!

Michael and Obi: I shall check out the bags mentioned.

Elisha
03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
don't underestimate the usefulness of flash outdoors as well. Even when the sun is up, it works well for portraits.