PDA

View Full Version : Canon Middle East - Photography competition 2009

faisal
03-11-2009, 07:30 AM
There's a middle east photography competition organised by Canon ME where they're giving out 13 Canon 1000D. Obviously I want to enter cause I wouldn't mind winning...I know my chances are non existing but there is no harm trying...So I wanted anyones and everyones advice regarding which image I should enter (allowed to enter just one picture)....you can go through my photobucket album to view my work....

Here's a link to the competition... http://www.gulfphotoplus.com/canoncompetition/index.php

The last date to enter is the 20th but I want to submit my picture by tomorrow....

Thanks in Advance... :)

gilly
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
This one's always been a favourite of mine. And since the brief is "submitting cultural, historical or heritage-inspired photographs of the country where you live in" this fits the bill perfectly.

This is how I see dubai having been there twice. Old meets new, and rapidly changing.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/400D/IMG_5477.jpg

Nickcanada
03-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a great contest to enter! In general I like your Dubai images that show the New and old mixing and conflicting but I think this might be one of your strongest images...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/400D/IMG_8139.jpg

I think there is a lot that can be read into the photo. The hard working lower class scrubbing the feet of the upper class with a look of disdain or maybe it's determination and pride that is on his face? Either way I think it's one of your more thought provoking images. It's technically well done too with the face in sharp focus but lots of motion blur on the hands conveying how hard the kid is working.

EDIT: I really like the picture Gilly posted too.

michaelb
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I remember both of those images and they are both very good, although I think I might go with Nick's suggestion. The problem with the first image is that before you explained what it was I thought it was simply some stacks of wood in the foreground - without an explanation the image is not as strong as the second one, which needs no explanation.

FLiPMaRC
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
IIRC, Nick's suggestion was shot from India.

Csae
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I like nick's suggestion better then the first as well, so was it from india ?

Nickcanada
03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
What does IIRC mean??? Yeah, I thought about that India thing too....

If you look at the judges' bios they seem to have backgrounds in the middle east so I would expect the shot Gilly posted to be appreciated by them and I do think it would be best to enter a photo taken in your country.... but I still really like the shot I posted....

faisal
03-11-2009, 12:35 PM
IIRC - If I Recall/Remember Correctly

The problem with the image gilly recommends is it's a Dubai not many people would like to show the world....it's a bad stain on the sparkling modern city that Dubai tries to be....Personally if it wasn't for this reason, I would have gone and re-shot the picture and used it....

Also from previous experience I know the possibility of the judges to like the picture recommended by Nick is higher irrespective of the fact it's not been taken in the middle east....

So I'd mostly go with the shoe cleaner one....need to think of a proper caption though unless I just copy paste what Nick said... ;)

Any other pictures I should consider....??

Thanks all for the recommendations and comments...

Nickcanada
03-11-2009, 02:11 PM
IIRC - If I Recall/Remember Correctly

The problem with the image gilly recommends is it's a Dubai not many people would like to show the world....it's a bad stain on the sparkling modern city that Dubai tries to be....Personally if it wasn't for this reason, I would have gone and re-shot the picture and used it....

Also from previous experience I know the possibility of the judges to like the picture recommended by Nick is higher irrespective of the fact it's not been taken in the middle east....

So I'd mostly go with the shoe cleaner one....need to think of a proper caption though unless I just copy paste what Nick said... ;)

Any other pictures I should consider....??

Thanks all for the recommendations and comments...

I'm sure you could do better then to quote me! hahaha.

Seriously though Faisal, if people are apprehensive to show Dubai for what it is and you have the courage to show a side of your city that is pushed aside and ignored than I think the judges would appreciate that more than if you posted a safe image. I definitely appreciate your honesty and find your images of the conflict of old vs new within your city/country very interesting.

gilly
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Totally. It's a side of Dubai that most of the world doesn't get to see! When we visited, thats what we went looking for, the historic side and Bur Dubai.

The image Nick chose is awesome too and has a lot of feeling to it, but there's nothing wrong with being a bit controversial!

faisal
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
hmm.....I think it'll be a coin toss in the end between the two....
I'll go through the pictures that have already been posted there and decide or maybe I'll enter one in my sisters name and one in mine!!!!