PDA

View Full Version : Online order question

faisal
02-27-2009, 10:15 PM
If I order online and get a Tokina lens delivered to Penn State, USA and then get my friend to get it for me to UAE....On receiving if the lens ends up being defective, How do I go about getting it fixed...will I have to pay for shipping from UAE to wherever it is or is that covered by the retailer/lens company??

Remember...closest dealer for Tokina for me is India...

Also does any one here live any where close to Penn State University??? (as I'd like to have the lens tested before I make my friend bring it here)

Thanks...

BBPhoto
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Faisal, I have gone through this scenario a several times with items that I purchased in the US. The unfortunate reality is that you will probably have to ship the item to the country of purchase for warranty service unless you purchase a 3rd party International type warranty. Incidentally I have had good luck getting warranty service outside the country of purchase from a few companies including Canon but this is the exception rather than the rule. Good luck!

faisal
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm getting the warranty that is given on the bhphoto site link (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=554035&is=REG#includes).....i.e the 3 year warranty....dunno if it's international or local!!!....

I've just looked at BHphoto billing/shipping page where it has my name but requires me to enter a US address...
Should I just enter the address of the person I'm getting it delivered to...will it effect any future transactions regarding warranty with the lens....

BBPhoto
03-01-2009, 06:06 AM
You should enter the US delivery address. I am not familiar with this particular warranty provider but the warranty usually gets registered post-purchase. You'll definitely be covered for any product defects but you may still have to ship it out of the UAE for service.

FarmerJohn
03-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Faisal! Yeah Penn State!! If this was last year, it would not be a problem at all. :)

But I have since graduated and moved, so I'm afraid I can't be helpful.

GoneTomorrow
03-03-2009, 06:33 AM
If I order online and get a Tokina lens delivered to Penn State, USA and then get my friend to get it for me to UAE....On receiving if the lens ends up being defective, How do I go about getting it fixed...will I have to pay for shipping from UAE to wherever it is or is that covered by the retailer/lens company??

Remember...closest dealer for Tokina for me is India...

Also does any one here live any where close to Penn State University??? (as I'd like to have the lens tested before I make my friend bring it here)

Thanks...

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the lens exactly?

David Metsky
03-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the lens exactly?
He said "if". This is a hypothetical.

GoneTomorrow
03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
He said "if". This is a hypothetical.

Oops, so he did. :D

faisal
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm just being paranoid...but now I've moved on and decided to buy a Canon 10-22mm if I get my Visa to UK....

gilly
03-04-2009, 01:47 AM
you won't regret it. 10-22 is an AWESOME piece of glass.

faisal
03-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I hope I don't....the decision has been a pain for me and after much bargaining with my parents I've managed to get them to agree to finance me....Only downside is the prices seem to have increased lately and the only shop that's selling it for a lower price ($775) might decide to increase the price also....a price close to the US$950 mark which IMO is not worth spending cause for the same price I can get hold of a 40D...

I'm expecting my UK visa tomorrow....can't wait!!!!

D Thompson
03-04-2009, 07:21 AM
you won't regret it. 10-22 is an awesome piece of glass.

^^^^^+1^^^^^

faisal
03-05-2009, 05:35 AM
So I got my Visa for the UK....
So I'll be off to buy the lens today...should I buy a hood for the 10-22mm...I can get a 3rd party hood for $15....the Canon one is out of stock everywhere!!!

gilly
03-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I never worried about a hood for mine, and I rarely use the hood now for the 17-40, I wouldn't worry about it personally.

faisal
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I got the 10-22... :D
They had a hood that was too big for it...will check it out later if I require it or not...
Till now I'm loving the silent fast focusing.....no pictures to show for now...will take some tomorrow!!! :)

D Thompson
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I got the 10-22... :D
They had a hood that was too big for it...will check it out later if I require it or not...
Till now I'm loving the silent fast focusing.....no pictures to show for now...will take some tomorrow!!! :)

I bought a generic cheapy hood at first and threw it away as it vignetted like a sob from 10-14. I bought the Canon (EW83E) and it works much better. I don't use UV filters so even the little protection this hood provides is better than nothing. I believe you'll be more than happy with this lens as far as quality images.